Surprise baby shower, what do I do?

Sealgirl

Reaction score
I accidentally overheard a conversation a friend was having with another friend about throwing me a surprise baby shower. I think its January.

I'm so nervous. This is not something I generally do, I hate being the centre of attention, I don't really have that many friends, who I don't keep in touch with nearly enough (although I have a select group of long term friends, but again don't keep in touch enough) and I'm just a worried kinda person!

What will they do? What if they don't want to come? What if they don't invite the right people, I really wouldn't want everybody and anybody coming - as I said, I'm shy.

Now, I'm thinking I need to stay spray tanned, get a new outfit and be prepared for it happening any time! What do I need to do?

As you can tell probably, I'm up to high doe! I tend to keep a low profile.

I keep telling myself, someone else clearly wants to deal with all this, so let her, its sweet and I don't need to worry myself. Why can't I just let it go and whenever it happens enjoy it and appreciate anyone who did want to come.

Practising my "OMG, this is a total shock, I had no idea" face, as I type! :haha:

If everyone knows its a surprise, I wouldn't worry about getting/doing anything to prepare for it, because why would you? You're not supposed to know! Try not to worry too much about who is getting invited. If they're close friends throwing this, they should (hopefully) know you well enough to have some idea who to invite. And the people who come are there to help you celebrate you and your baby, so don't worry too much about the wrong people being there. They wouldn't be there, unless they cared about you. :)

A family friend is throwing me a shower and originally it was supposed to be a surprise, and then she meant to text her daughter to ask her if she wanted to help, but texted me, instead. My hubby had the phone and texted her back and asked if she meant to do that, and so they did eventually tell me (my hubby is not good at long term surprises. lol He gets too excited and lets something slip).

Aw bless, almost the same situation as me then. My friend was just on the phone, but she didn't realise I could hear everything the other one was saying!!!

Its much more common in the US than here, I guess? That's why I'm a little nervous about what to expect.

You know what? It probably would have been better if I had never heard that conversation (they don't know I heard), then I would never have to think about any of this and I bet I would have a great time!

Now I'm all worried about who's on the phone to who and who's saying "oh Jeez another present to buy near xmas" when otherwise I wouldn't know anything about it. I need to calm down! ha ha xx

Honey, no need to spray tan. No one is going to be at your shower thinking, "my she is not tan anymore!"

You should be glad that someone is doing that for you. We moved to an isolated area away from friends and family. The closest is three hours away, so no shower for us:(

Have fun!

Thanks Heaven, I'm feeling so paranoid about everything just now, hence the staying spray tanned thingy.

Aw sorry you're not having one, I guess if all my friends and family lived far away and I knew no-one would do this for me, I would be a bit sad too. I'm just so not used to being made a fuss of and I know I should embrace it.

Will your friends and family visit you after you have had your baby? xx

none of my friends are inclined to throw me a baby shower i might have that wrong but i doubt it! so im throwing my own try to relax and enjoy it , its sweet that they are arranging it you will get some nice time with your mates and some nice pressies , enjoy

I know! What's the matter with me, I just don't ever relax!

Well done you for doing your own! x

Thanks Heaven, I'm feeling so paranoid about everything just now, hence the staying spray tanned thingy.

Aw sorry you're not having one, I guess if all my friends and family lived far away and I knew no-one would do this for me, I would be a bit sad too. I'm just so not used to being made a fuss of and I know I should embrace it.

I can understand the not being used to having people make a fuss over you. I had the hardest time telling people that I was engaged before we got married. A lot of my friends just found out by either seeing the ring or hearing from other friends, because I didn't know how to say it. :blush: I did a lot better telling people about the baby, because I didn't want my baby to be an awkward topic like my engagement was. LOL! Plus I had time to plan before we told people about the baby, so we had some fun with that. :)

Thanks SM :hugs:Funnily enough when I got engaged, I wanted to tell the world, started planning a big wedding straight away and wanted everyone there. But I think somewhere along the way I changed and as it got close to my wedding I wondered if I wanted all this and constantly had dreams about no-one turning up. Actually quite a few people did not turn up on the day and I was let down by many people, but I still had the best day of my life.

I think thats part of the problem with me here, I was let down badly around my hen night and wedding, but I also found out who my true friends were. I think its because my life is so different to theres now, I'm married, settled with a house, can't really afford to go out and having a baby. They are mainly single and still living with parents or flat sharing with friends and thats why we've drifted apart.

I think thats part of the worry, everything is changed and I've kinda retreated into I don't need any of you, just my OH and baby, but now that they are doing this for me, I guess I feel I should appreciate them and make a bit more of an effort.

I wish I was outgoing!:nope:

Unfortunately, we have been the one to travel every month to visit family! I can't see dashing out right away anyway:) I like to keep baby in the first month or two anyway, unless absolutely necessary.

I do know how you feel w/ the tan but when you are pregnant, it is the time to just let your body chill.I am naturally really dark and when I am pregnant-I am really light! I couldn't go out in the sun this summer b/c I got so nauseous in the heat-but I would not even dare go to the booth for a spray. No need really. I think pregnancy is a time of relaxation and you shouldn't be thinking of doing too much right now:) No need to worry.

Aw thank you, I know you are so right!

I hope you are made a big fuss over when baby comes! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back