Swine Flu....

Tink1o5

Mom of 3
Reaction score
I was reading an artical on the swine flu situation that is going on.. i was wondering what your thoughts and opinions about the situation are?

and also what is a good way to prevent from getting the flu

lets just i wont be gong to mexico for a holiday lol x

Well I don't know anyone that has recently come back from Mexico and I certainly won't be going there so I think I'm pretty safe

(famous last words!)

It was only a couple of years ago that we were told we'd be wiped out by bird flu and that never came to anything.

Im not worried. I feel sorry for the poor people who have contracted it but I think a lot of it is scare tactics in the press.

xxx

It was only a couple of years ago that we were told we'd be wiped out by bird flu and that never came to anything.

Im not worried. I feel sorry for the poor people who have contracted it but I think a lot of it is scare tactics in the press.

xxx

totally agree with u!

i wont be going to mexico any time soon x :muaha:

its scare mongering unless youve just been to mexico i wouldny worry -or eat pork from mexico??-

I'm a total hypochondriac and very annoyingly I woke up with a horrible sore throat yesterday and have now got FIL's man flu which in my twisted mind is making me think I may have it.....
I am worried about this but thats because of the 2 confirmed cases in Scotland which never happened with the bird flu.
Stupid hypochondriacness!!!
xxx

I duno.. I heard within the next 48 hours it'll be in Canada big time.
I don't know anyone whose been to mexico lately.
I know Toronto will be filled with a bunch of people walking around with the masks on though.. Which scares even more people!

Its all just precaution. I think we're pretty safe to be honest...just don't go to mexico lol

There are 2 confirmed cases of it in the next town from me, just 5 minutes away:argh:

I called my doctors to make an appointment as I've had a persistent cough for the past two months. First thing she asked was whether I had been to Mexico.

I disagree, just because you don't go to Mexico doesn't mean you have nothing to worry about, it's spreading and fast. I live in TX so on the border of Mexico and it's here now, its in NY, it's in Cali, its in New Zealand, Brazil....it's getting to be all over. With all of the travel you can't just count on just because you don't go to the source. So far it hasn't been deadly in the US but the stats are pretty scary

Stats from me watching 10pm news, morning news, noon news and then today

Cases in Mexico went from 1400, to over 2000 in less than 24hrs
Deaths went from 86 at 10pm on Sunday, to 100 by the morning to now over 150..in Mexico
It was 20 cases in the US that Sun night to 41 to now almost 70.....with 100s of possible cases that the results aren't back yet from kids at a NY school.

It's going fast. As of now it's not in my area but I'm sure it will be soon, it's in other parts of TX. We are doing our part now with just washing hands all the time, we will buy masks if it gets to that point. As of now it hasn't caused any deaths in the US but I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I'm worried about it but not panicked...as of now haha. I really hope it just dies out before it gets too bad, but right now it could go either way.

omg mommyof3co that must be so scary for you guys. It's scary how quickly it's spreading though. A 12year old girl just got confirmed she had it 4 miles up the road from me and now they are testing7more people who they think caught it off her and have shut the school down it's scary when it's happening so close to home! :-( x x

Yeah it's getting closer and closer to me. There was the first reported death in the US today...in Houston TX, about 4hrs from me. Then they have no closed the Ft Worth ISD school district until atleast the 8th, which is right next to us. I'm maybe 10min north of Ft. Worth. Then now there are 2 probable cases in my son's school district and the entire state of TX has stopped all sports, field trips, anything extra cirricular until atleast the 11th so that cancels my son's zoo trip on friday, he's really upset about it now :( But I guess whatever helps keep it under control. We are debating keeping him home from school for awhile

Its awful, I am concerned but trying not to worry to much

There are 19 cases in Canada now.

I'm torn between being worried and trying not to be concerned. No confirmed cases in Oklahoma... yet. But the area I live in has a very large population from southern Texas and Mexico and they all travel back and forth regularly. I don't care so much about me catching it. DH would most likely bounce back as well but a 6 month old baby is a lot more likely to die from the flu than an adult is.

I have been talking about this on another forum, and it was much more informative than the news and things. Basically we are well over due a pandemic (a pandemic is a world wide epedemic, and for it to be an epidemic it has to affect at least one in ten people). Influenza can affect anybody at all, obviously the vunerable are more at risk, but as you have seen it is affecting pretty much anyone. In the UK at the moment we have been relatively lucky as it has been a mild strain caught early on, however influenza mutates VERY quickly, and the problem we have here is that whilst we have 32 million of the antibiotics stock piled (which is not enough for all any way), but also IF it mutates it could become resistant to the antibiotic we have and although we do have a stronger antibiotic we only have about one million of those which is nothing.

This IS different from bird flu, as bird flu wasnt able to spread from person to person, it was laways someone who had been in contact with infected livestock, and well this isnt the case with swine flu. Oh and the H1N1 strain (which is what they have been concerned about with both the bird and swine flu) was the reason for 50-100 million deaths in the 1918 flu pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->