switching to cloth

cheeseface

sams mum
Reaction score
hi all my baby is 5 weeks old and im thinking of switching to cloth nappies what would you all recommend for for a beginner as im totally clueless and reading through some of the threads here has just confused me more:blush:

hello, welcome over!

I found a pocket nappy like the bumgenius V3 an easy to use first time nappy. They're a one size nappy though (often called birth to potty, they have a set of adjustable poppers on the front so you can alter the sizes to grow with LO) but can be a little bulky on newborns but it depends on their size etc. You can also prefolds/terry towelling with a waterproof wrap. It just depends how easy you want it to be really IMO, but take into consideration drying times etc aswell as that can be a concern. For instance bamboo is a very absorbant material but in turn, takes forever to dry after washing!

If you have any precise questions feel free to ask away :thumbup:

Yea i started with Bumgenius Birth to potty nappies, however some people also like totsbots or more fitted nappes that are made for certain sizes of babies like disposibles... :lol: It is so confusing.
I think next time i'm going to try some terries...maybe have a look through the photos for ickle babies and see what they are using??? I only started when Tabs was 4 months so i'm prob not too great :(

Hi Cheeseface

My baby is almost four weeks old and I'm just starting to look into cloth nappies too. It is massively confusing - there's so much choice and I don't want to waste money getting the wrong thing. (I'm pretty indecisive, it took me most of my pregnancy to choose a sling!)

The Bumgenius nappies look good - does anyone know if they'd be okay for a smallish baby? My daughter weighs 7lbs 7oz.

I haven't used a bumgenius on a newborn but they are supposed to be suitable 6-35lbs. It might just be a little chunky on smaller babies.

You might get a nicer fit with an itti bitti but I don't know how you're feeding but i don't think they would hold up with breastfed baby runny poo.

ok i think il give the bumgenius ones a go.how many should i get just to test them out?

literally just one or 2 if you only want to try first and are happy to trial whilst using sposies, depends on your budget i guess. I literally just started out with one nappy (obviously sposies aswell) and built it from there :thumbup:

I started using the Bumgenius Organic when quentin was over 8lbs and they are a tad bulky for newborns but look fine. the organic ones are on 3 for 2 on fill your pants website totalling about £38 delivered. they are poppered unlike the V3 which is aplix but i do find they fit fine around the legs.

Itti bittis are really cool slim nappies they do hold poos ok but i have a heavy wetter so they need changing regularly (i have some small ittis for sale at the mo - PM me if your interested)

if your unsure about the type you want to try to can always buy preloved - one of the benefits of preloved is that all the pre-washing will have already been done so the nappy should be at it's full absorbency.
whereas new nappies need washing 3-5 times (8-10 times for bamboo) before they are fully absorbent (i have included this as some people get put off early on with leaks and don't realise that cloth needs to be washed a few times first)

Also don't get discouraged if you get leaks with a birth to potty diaper- I've had some diapers that didn't fit Emma at first around the leg and leaked but now that she's bigger work great. There is so much choice in CDs- half the fun is trying new brands!

Also don't get discouraged if you get leaks with a birth to potty diaper- I've had some diapers that didn't fit Emma at first around the leg and leaked but now that she's bigger work great. There is so much choice in CDs- half the fun is trying new brands!

Same here. I had a Tots Bots Easy Fit that I loved but was going to sell because I couldn't get it to fit around Leyla's legs... tried it today though and it fits perfectly :happydance:

yea i've had that too. when Lo's start moving and stuff aswell nappies can have a different fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->