Taking dd out of nursery for holiday UK?

youngmamttc

My family is complete
Reaction score
I spoke to my DDs nursery today about us going away for 3 days in December and was informed I wasn't allowed. I only really told them out of courtesy and was under the understanding that she has no legal obligation to be in school until she's 5 anyways? Does anybody know where I stand with this? I'm off to speak to the head later but can they really stop us if she's only in nursery? I'd understand if she was missing out on learning but all she will be missing is playing with the dolls house! Xx

I didn't think a nursery could stop you. Bens just got back from holiday with his Dad and he missed 2 weeks of nursery. I told them but like you said it was courtesy not for approval. Definitely speak to the head, that doesn't seem right to me.

You are right, there is no legal obligation for children to be in school until they are 5, which I believe is yr1.
So you can take her out and there is nothing they can do about it legally.

Do you pay for her hours or is she funded? Because my daughters old nursery that I paid for, if she was off for any reason I still had to pay. But her new nursery is funded with 3yr funding, so I don't have to pay when she is off for any reason :)

No she's 3 so she gets her 15 hours free a week so I don't pay anything xx

Then if you aren't being charged then I don't think there is anything they can do about it.

But mostly go in with the attitude of 'School isn't compulsory until she is 5' thing :)

Edit: Maybe throw in some stuff about how seeing different culture is good for your child, a holiday can be a learning experience in itself. Etc etc. :D

Check your nursery's attendance policy. LO's nursery is at the primary school so they apply the same kind of rules as they do to the school. Holidays are supposed to be requested and they will deny them if you don't have a 'proper' reason but you can obviously take your child anyway because they don't have to be there in the first place! However, our nursery says that if a child's attendance falls below 80% or they miss 2 full weeks without good reason they have the right to offer the place to another child. I don't think they actually would but if places were in high demand, it could happen I suppose.

School is 4. With it being a nursery shouldnt matter whether u take her out or not for a few days

Check your nursery's attendance policy. LO's nursery is at the primary school so they apply the same kind of rules as they do to the school. Holidays are supposed to be requested and they will deny them if you don't have a 'proper' reason but you can obviously take your child anyway because they don't have to be there in the first place! However, our nursery says that if a child's attendance falls below 80% or they miss 2 full weeks without good reason they have the right to offer the place to another child. I don't think they actually would but if places were in high demand, it could happen I suppose.

This is the same as dd nursery and as of September this year they have sent letters home stating you will get a £60 fine for any unauthorised absence.

Thanks for the replies ladies. The head was much nicer and agreed that DD would learn more from coming to a german christmas market with us than she ever would at nursery so was more than willing to let go. xx

School is 4. With it being a nursery shouldnt matter whether u take her out or not for a few days

school starts at 4 if you choose to send your child to recption however they don't legally have to be in school or education till after there 5th birthday. Op I would just take my child.

Legally they don't have to start til they're 5. Weird that the nursery said you could but it must be just diff rules for diff nurseries. I'm allowed to keep Florence off and always let them know in advance xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->