Talk to me about camping...

JessdueJan

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I camped as a young child and loved it, I am now on my own with my three kids and I am desperate to get into camping with them but because I’ve never been as an adult or even a teenager im a bit clueless about all the actual important stuff :dohh:

So a few (probably silly) questions I have that are playing on my mind...

Do you Lock the tent door, with a padlock, overnight or just close it?

If a child needs the toilet in the night in the night is it a case of trekking to the camp loos or is there an acceptable done thing that’s easier?

Thanks in advance :flower:

I love camping! Although I prefer glamping now absolutely my favourite thing!
Tent wise, I don’t lock it - if anyone wanted to get in a padlock wouldn’t make any difference. I always take a lockable box for valuables or even better if possible leave them hidden in the car (or better yet at home).
Toilet - if it’s a number one, a discreet distance away ensuring that it’s not going to run to someone else’s tent is fine, or go in a bottle if needs must. No 2’s you need to walk to the toilet, although you can buy toilet tents and a little camping loo for quite reasonable prices and set that up next to your main tent if that’s easier.

I bought a tent a couple of years ago determined to go camping and no such luck yet lol

I've looked at camping toilets, you can get some really basic ones to over £100, I can't imagine much difference, still have to clean both.

We've never taken a lock for the tent. If someone wanted to get into your tent they could easily cut the fabric to get in so a lock wouldn't really be a deterrent. We do "nature pees" at night instead of walking to the toilet. This will depend a bit on where you live, but it's also important to consider wildlife safety. Keep food and other scented items in your car/in bear bins/hanging on poles, never take food into your tent, have bear spray and know how to use it, etc.

I've always worried about the kids getting out rather than someone in!

I've camped all my life, and everything really depends on what type of camping you're doing!

I don't have much experience taking my own children camping though, as unfortunately we've only made it out twice since my son was born.

I agree with everyone else, no lock on the tent, peeing outside is fine but #2 in the loo.

So depending on the age of your children, think about proximity to the toilet.

Look online for kit-lists (packing lists) for families as being prepared will make your trip more fun

Hopefully you can find a nice family-friendly place to go camping!

(Now I really need to get out there this summer too!)

We've just got back from camping with our girls who had a fab time!

I wouldn't put a lock on the tent overnight.... might be dangerous if you needed to get out quick incase of fire or anything.

You could take a potty/bucket incase the kids needed the toilet in the night.

Another tip, take some foot wear thats easy to get on and off and that you can also wear in the showers

Thanks guys, the fire hazard was my main concern about the lock so glad that I was right in thinking you wouldn’t lock a tent overnight.

Easy footwear is a good idea, thank you :)

I’m excited to get out there and do it but quite nervous for the first attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->