Talk to me about netbooks!

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
My laptop is giving up the ghost. The screen is cracked ridiculously so I can't see parts of it, and the power cable port is cracked and the battery doesn't charge anymore so everytime I move the cable falls out and my laptop dies.

I've been looking at netbooks online as they're in my price range whereas a new laptop isn't so much but I'm wondering how annoying they are with the small screen size and lack of CD drive. I need it to do my uni work on, how on earth do I install office without a CD drive?! Also, would it be impossible to write essays on due to the small screen size? And also to read big journal articles as I'd have to scroll forrrreeeevvvverrr. Or is it really not that bad and something you just get used to?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

why not buy a laptop refurb instead? most come with a 12 month guarantee, have been fully checked and repaired and usually cost the same or less then a netbook. I got a toshiba laptop from argos ebay outlet for £ 199 and it looked brand new. :thumbup:

I'm always so wary of refurbs, I don't know why. I guess if it came with a guarantee then it shouldn't be a problem.

Refurbs can actually be more reliable then brand new models as they have been thoroughly inspected, the only real issue is that the battery may not hold as much power as a new model - but if you buy from a reputable company they would let you know if that was the case.

i love my netbook , easy to shove out the way when morgans trying to get it :rofl:

DH has a netbook, it was in our price range at the time too. I don't like using it at all, it's just too small!

I feel your pain with what your going through with your powering on your laptop. The port on mine has to be in just the right position to hold power. The battery on it is shot, so I have like less than 3 minutes of battery life before it shuts itself off. And even sometimes it won't start back up.

I'm almost full on my memory for pics, and been hinting to DH that maybe I should just get a new lappy before I can't power this one at all.

Never knew about refurbs myself and am sure I can convince DH if I find one reasonably priced.

Although I have been thinking of getting an Ipod Touch just so i don't have to boot up the lappy every time I want to go on for just a minute or 2...ok, now i'm just rambling on ;)

My dd1 has a netbook and its perfect for her with school work and going online but it drives me nutty when I borrow it, its too small for me (10.1" screen) and the memory is tiny so she saves her work on a memory stick (which isnt necessarily a bad thing).
On the plus side, they are lightweight and much easier to move around than a usual laptop.
If needed you can buy separate usb disc drives, as for installing office etc, mostly its down by download codes.

Cheers for the input ladies. I might up my budget a little bit and go for a refurbed laptop instead. No point forking out £180 on something that will annoy me when for an extra £60 I could get something that does what I want it to.

I've got a netbook and I love it - you get used to the size and there are ways of loading things on without the CD drive OR you could even get a portable CD drive if desperate.

i LOVE my net book!! <3 this little thing is my life.. you can download microsoft works instead of office, which i prefer, i dont get a headache from using this one whereas i do with the huge great laptops, i can carry it around in one hand s it doesnt stop me doin stuff.. my memory is actually better on this than the laptops.. i have THOUSANDS of pictures and am nowhere near full memory, i also have alot of music and videos on here.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->