Talk to me about stevia

AnnaSaRa

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a sugar substitute and lately I have heard a lot of hype and chatter about stevia the 0 cal natural sweetener.

Is it safe? Have any of you tried it in recipes? How is the taste?
Just wanted to know your experiences with it before I go out and buy some.

Thanks !! :)

It's a plant extract.

It is natural and safe EXCEPT in pregnancy (and it's not "unsafe", it's that it hasn't been tested properly, so it's a no-go).

It is verrrryy concentrated so you really have to be careful about how much you put (a few specks can equal a packet of sugar). The taste is quite similar in cooked foods, although you'd probably notice it in a coffee. Some people prefer it more! :)

I love it and use it all the time, I just haven't recently as I'm still pregnant. It can be very expensive but do not let the price scare you because again, it's highly concentrated and a simple tube of it can last you a year.

i had a bit of stevia in my b12 supp during pregnancy lol

but substituting it for sugar eek idk. i dont think it would help with dieting though tbh

Thanks ladies!

Its not so much for dieting, more for control of blood sugar levels.

General consensus is that it's safe and a good sweetener for people with metabolic disorders. I find the taste slightly weird personally but it's not too bad. I've used it to bake cookies. They weren't awful, but had an aftertaste that was maybe a little bitter! (Then again it could have been because I overbaked the pecans!)

it is safe and good for diet too but it tastes funky. I don't like it at all. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->