Taming Santa wish lists?

tommyg

Mum to Smurf & TTC
Reaction score
Last year DS wanted 5 smoke jumpers from Planes, they were a nightmare to get a hold off but hey they were all he wanted.

This year my sister suggested letting him make a list using cut outs from the argos book - it seemed a great crafty idea - bad bad move he's created a wish list that is completely out of control. How do I get him to cut it?

Do I say Santa can only bring 1 big thing and maybe 2 small things?

Or Santa won't bring everything off your list?

I also have a bundle of stocking fillers already tucked away.

My son who's coming 6 doesn't fully grasp the concept of things costing a lot of money when added up etc so I had to explain to him that the 6 Lego sets he asked Santa for were £80 each and that was way too expensive as we have to pay Santa and told him to pick which one or two were his favourite and Santa might bring one.

Santa can only bring some things as there would be none left for other kids ... some thing along those lines.

In our house, Santa only brings one big item or 2 smaller ones. It just wouldn't be possible for him to make and carry any more than that. Plus if he asked for 10 things he would be running late to deliver all the other kids presents. Seems to work well for us, so far.

Last year I did a printout for the kids to fill in for their letter to Father Christmas, and there was only space for a couple of things. I also included spaces for asking FC a question, and telling him something important to them, as I didn't want it to be all about what they want from him, but more a genuine letter. I was planning on doing the same this year, but hubby is encouraging them to come up with big long lists, to give us ideas for things to get from us (FC only brings one or two presents, plus stocking in our house). I don't think he realises quite how much we have already got for them, as I was planning on getting any extras they ask FC for, and being done, so I don't need more ideas. So I can see the lists here spiralling out of control, too. Personally, I think it is good for kids not to expect to get everything they ask for, so I would just explain that there is a limit to how much he can bring each child, so he needs to either cut down the list or he will just get a selection of the things he has asked for.

We've explained that Santa only brings one thing per child. They are welcome to make longer lists for mom and dad but have to choose one thing to ask Santa for. It's worked out well for us so far.

Growing up we were always told we could make a list as long as we wanted but Santa only chooses a few things for each child. We'd then go back and put a sticker or star or something beside the things we really REALLY wanted. Worked for us as kids and I'll probably say the same kind of thing to dd when she's older.

We say that they can ask for what she likes but that they dont get everything they ask for xx

In our house Santa brings some things from the list (but not everything on it) and some other surprises that aren't on their lists but that Santa thinks they'll like.

I limited my son's list to 8 items some were small and some bigger items and some have been bought by family. We say santa brings one item per child and then mum and dad pay santa for the rest.

My kids can make their list as long as they want but they know that Santa only brings 1 present for each of them.
This year I've decided 6 presents total, so one from Santa and 5 from mom and dad.

I tell my kids that they can ask for anything they want to, and Santa decides which gifts from the list he thinks they will enjoy the most. Santa doesn't get them everything from the list because he has lots and lots of kids to deliver toys to.

With a little explaining on cash and Santa can't bring so many big toys to one little boy. I asked what is his favourite thing on the list....Paw Patrol the thing I least wanted to get him as I think he is almost too old for it. Arrrr!

I told K this year that Santa only brings 2-3 gifts per child as he needs to have enough for all the children. Thankfully all she asked for was one thing from Santa anyways but I didn't want her to think he brings a ton of things... When I was little we asked for 1-3 items on our letter to Santa and that was it :)

In our house we send Santa a letter to give ideas what we like and Santa picks what's best. He only put two things on his list that he is actually getting

We say that the more they ask for the less likely they are to get everything on their list but if they just ask for a few things that they really really want, they are much more likely to get those things plus a few surprises.
Its doesn't always help with the making of a smaller list. DS1 and 2 make quite short lists, Ds3 still wants everything he sees, but I know which things will really get played with and he knows that he won't get everything he has asked for

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->