Tanning-sunbed???

topsy

Reaction score
Ok, I have NEVER used one, but I am getting married in May and would like to look healthy, and have a little colour, I am not after a really deep golden tan, just not to look so washed out, I am so pale it is stupid-in certain light I am sure I am see through LOL! :)

So I was thinking of going to the salon down the road, but am clueless when to start.How long would I need to go on them for? I would rather do it slowly, than go bright red!

Any ideas? Thanks xxxx

i would avoid like the plague to be honest.. why risk potentially getting ill in the future to look a little orange now .. ? i'm sorry i know thats not what you asked but i really dislike sun beds! x

Sunbeds are baaaaaaad......

but fake tan isn't good for brides either

Probably 2 x 3 minutes sessions your first week

3 x 3 the second

2 x 3 and 1 x 6 the third

See what colour you are, and then either maintain, or increase how long you go on for

But sun beds are bad!

xxx

Yeah, like I say I have never used one hence why I am clueless! I tried fake tan, but it has come off on part of my top, and obviously i don't want marks on my dress! So this is why i thought I would try the sunbed.

Looking at that booflebump I would need 3 weeks, so don't need to do anything for a while, so will leave it till 4 weeks before, as don't really want to have to "maintain it" :)

Thank you girls xx

From what you are saying, you don't want to tan tan, just go from v v v pale to a little bit coloured, which is what that will achieve xx

Fake tan can look good as long as its not orangey and streaky. Just about finding the right colour for you.

I personally wouldn't go on a sunbed. I used to go on them when I was 15, but now looking back I think it was stupid, I risked my health for the sake of looking tanned. Now I fake tan if I want a bit of colour :)

Twilight, can I ask what you use please? I used fake bake, which looked great and was fine, but where my bra strap is, it some rubbed some off, and I don't want marks on my dress? I also added some shimmer stuff from the body shop and that seemed to make it come off more. Maybe I am just using the wrong stuff?:shrug:

Don't do it, you can get so many good fake tans these days, Xen Tan is amazing. Or a spray tan. Honestly I think anyone who uses a sunbed in this day and age must be completely mad

Topsy......I've used the shimmer stuff too, wash off one and that was great for getting an even colour if you got the non shimmer one but it used to rub off with the likes of seat belts and obviously rain. Great if you make a mistake though because you can wash it off.

Recently i've started using St Tropez gradual because my skin is quite fair and I didn't want to go orange. The colour is good, because takes some getting used to getting it on without streaks and obviously mistakes are harder to cover up.

I think when Summer rolls around i'm going to try the St Tropez instant colour one, i'm thinking maybe the mousse may be easier to put on, but I really don't know. I'm not an expert! :)

I'd defo stay away from l'oreal and johnsons gradual tan ones though, the colour is ok but they go ridiculously streaky no matter how much you exfoliate and moisturise!

I go on sun beds, I don't get holidays abroad anymore.

I don't over do it and burn.

When I am pregnant I wont go on.

I do 6 mins 3 times a week, till I am tanned, then just 6 mins once a week to maintain.

The time you go on though will vary with your skin type, I am middle ground, I tan quite well, if you are fair I would start at 3 mins and see how you get on.

Hope that helps.

x

Whoopsies. I love sunbeds. But I don't hardly use them. My mum used to rent one, and I went on every couple of days for a couple of minutes and eventually got a lovely tan and even managed to hide my stretchies :) I think if you don't overuse them then you'll be fine

I hadn't used one in years but last month a bought 50 mins at the one in my gym. I would say I'm middle ground so Iv been doing 6 mins each time. Iv only been on 4 times and I defo have tan lines but didn't burn or anything. I hate the idea of sunbeds but I was just so so pastey! I also use st.moriz fake tan. It's the cheap version of st.tropez and is amazing!!! It's only £2.99 from TJ Hughes and if you wash properly after it's been on a while it won't/shouldn't rub off x

go to your local salon and ask to look at a base bed, most let you lay in them for up to 20 minutes, look on the side of the bed and follow the guidelines for your skin type. it should all be regulated.

the salon will give you a survey to find out your skin type, answer the questions as honestly as you can and then it should give you a good guide.

20 mins on a sunbed?! Your sunbeds in the US must be rubbish. :haha:

x

lol they use the lie down ones don't they? i couldnt be bothered laying on a sunbed for 20 mins :shock:

Even the lie down ones here I don't think I could do 20 mins, I would be burnt to a crisp.

I'm deffo a stand up girl, the idea of lying in someone elses sweat freaks me out, even if it has been cleaned before hand!!

x

if your type 1 or 2 skin id avoid like anything and get a good quality spray tan done like st tropez.

otherwise i'd go 2x a week for 4 minutes
then the week after +2 mins etc up until the wedding.
i wouldn't exceed 12 mins though hun

as someone else said if you go into the salon they will explain everything to you, i occasionally use them but not for long, i dont burn but just start low you can always go on longer next time if it doesnt do much

I understand why everyone is a little scared of tanning beds but before I got married I know I wanted a tan and asked my doctor if hitting the beds the few months before would cause me any grief later in life. His answer was "oh god no".

Tanning beds can be very dangerous, one of the girls I used to work with was going for 20 minutes on a regular bed every other day and even though she was using a tanning bed she was still orange.

I would be careful though, I don't know what the beds are like in the UK but it took me at least 2 months to get anything in the way of a even color I wanted for my wedding.

I think the most important thing is lotion, it will accelerate the process and stop your skin from dehydrating or getting a heat rash. Also make sure you bring or borrow eyewear, in Canada you aren't legally allowed to use a tanning bed without it.

The tanning salon where I've been going has a limit of 10 minutes a day. I'm pretty fair-skinned, I've been going for 4 minutes a day (just started Saturday) 3-4x a week, just to get a slight base tan. I'm going on a cruise in May, and I need to prepare my skin for the Caribbean sun. :) I'm not keen on tanning, but I'm just taking it really slowly, limiting myself and as soon as the cruise is done, I'm done. lol. I really doubt I'll do more than 5 minutes a day, if I even get to that, and I'm still not letting myself go more than 3-4 x a week MAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->