Tax Credits - Going from joint to single?

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
Has anyone done this recently? How does the process work?

I have had a google online and seems some people say they stop your payments immediately and you have to reclaim which could take 6/7 weeks and other people say they just changed it over the phone?

i rang them up & they did it over the phone. took about 4 weeks for it to change over, so i still recieved the original amount but money was backdated. xx

i rang them up & they did it over the phone. took about 4 weeks for it to change over, so i still recieved the original amount but money was backdated. xx

So you still had your joint money for the 4 weeks?

I'm so worried about being with nothing for weeks on end!

yeah i had the joint money for 4 weeks. sorry i didnt word that very well!
you wont go without for ages, if anything just make sure your rent gets paid, any bills come theough just ring them, explain the situation & that you will pay asap. Thats what i did, they were very understanding.

i hope your ok? xxx

you wont go without for ages, if anything just make sure your rent gets paid, any bills come theough just ring them, explain the situation & that you will pay asap. Thats what i did, they were very understanding.

i hope your ok? xxx

I won't be able to pay the rent as I don't work so will also have to wait for income support and housing benefit to go through, though hopefully my landlords will understand.

I'm ok thanks Hun. :flower:

Xx

i hope your ok? xxx

I won't be able to pay the rent as I don't work so will also have to wait for income support and housing benefit to go through, though hopefully my landlords will understand.

I'm ok thanks Hun. :flower:

Xx

Housing should be pretty quick. When ex OH lost his job i went in on the monday with all our id etc & money was in my account the following weds, When i left him & quick work they changed my money straight away.

When we swapped from single to joint they stopped our TC payments whilst they sorted it out x

When we swapped from single to joint they stopped our TC payments whilst they sorted it out x

They stopped mine when we switched from single to joint too. But I think it's different if going from joint to single as payments will rise not fall

Xx

I phoned up and told them the circumstances, took just over a month for them to change all mine around but my payments didn't stop.

Joint to single...payments dont stop. Mine was changed in a week.

Single to joint...payments stop. Ours took about 4 weeks.

When i changed mine from joint to single, it took around 8-9 weeks as they kept saying there was a problem with my child benefit and i had to send my youngest daughters birth certificate and re do my claim for her, even though me and my ex were claiming for her fine when together. Luckily me and the girls were staying at my parents while i got a house but if i wasn't then i'd of been stuck. x

Twice my relationship has broken down and twice I've had to go from Joint to Single (2010 & 2012). Both these times my TC's were completely stopped from the moment I rang, in one case it took 8 weeks to sort out but they allowed me to claim an emergency payment direct from an IR office from week 5, I was only allowed £50 the first week and the 2nd week they gave me a full payment but it was classed as an overpayment when I got my award through and I had to pay it back out of my monies because they still backdated it to claim day. It was horrible and if it hadn't been for my husband (luckily both times it was just a very short period apart, can't get rid of the sod that easily it seems :winkwink:) me and kids would have been stuffed but he did food shops for me and gave me cash when we needed it. No sooner had it been sorted out then we were back together.

Even the tax credits people ended up telling us that unless you are 100% sure it is over sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle of telling them lmao.

Good luck :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->