Teacher Won't Meet With Me?

second.time

Reaction score
My son's pre-K teacher has been ignoring my requests to meet with her. Two weeks ago she responded to an email and said she'd be glad to meet with me, but when I asked her about times, she ignored it for two weeks. I sent her a nudge yesterday, just expressing once again that I'd really appreciate insight about his behavior, and again, radio silence.

I know he's struggling a bit in the classroom and it's helpless to feel like I can't work with the teacher to figure out what's going on. What should my next step be? Anyone else experienced a teacher just totally ignoring them?

I'd catch her at school don't give her the choice of talking to you.

Yeah catch her at hometime! I'm in almost daily contact with my son's teacher due to struggles my son has and I mostly catch her at the end of the days. I hope you manage to get a word with her!

Can you not just approach her when you take him into school? I see and say at least a hello to both my kids teachers daily.

Are you able to stop by the school? I know that if you're not the one dropping off or if it's a "drop and run," because of the timing it can be difficult, but if you're able, just drop in unannounced and confront the teacher (kindly, but) directly. If you are not able to just stop in and talk, call. Is there any particular reason that email is the only contact?

Thanks, everyone! At our school things are pretty impersonal -- kids are typically dropped off by car and taken by a separate worker into the classroom, so there's not a chance to speak to her at drop-off, and at the end of the day, even when I pick him up in person, the teachers stay inside a closed-off hallway area and open the door to allow the kids out when their parents show up. I'd rather not talk to her then because she's very businesslike and harried, trying to get the kids out and to their parents, and I worry that even if I stepped up to her while she was at the door I'd be preventing other kids from reaching their parents. It's a setup that leaves barely any chances for casual contact with teachers, so I was really relying on a meeting with her.

Are you able to stop by the school? I know that if you're not the one dropping off or if it's a "drop and run," because of the timing it can be difficult, but if you're able, just drop in unannounced and confront the teacher (kindly, but) directly. If you are not able to just stop in and talk, call. Is there any particular reason that email is the only contact?

Email is really the only contact option she gave us! I'm hesitant to drop into her classroom unannounced in the middle of the day. The classrooms here are much less open than his previous daycare environment. I suppose I could try to find her there after school but I don't know how long she stays or how to arrange a visit? There are NO opportunities for casual chatting at this school -- no opportunities to visit his classroom or say hi during the day -- so I'm really relying on the one option she gave us, which she isn't currently using.

I would cc the principal or head teacher on your next email so they also get the email. Make sure you mention tou have been waiting to hear back for a few weeks and you would appreciate an immediate response.

I'd wait till the last child left and then pounce. If all else fails get in touch with the headmaster

I would follow the advice of the last two posters.

That's really bad, and i find the whole set up so strange...our school has an open door policy. I would head to the school office or head teachers office to arrange an appt to speak to the teacher.

That's really bad, abd i fibd the whole set up so strange...our school has an open door policy. I would head to the school office or head teachers office to arrange an appt to speak to the teacher.

I agree with this! Go through someone higher up and see if they can arrange something. It shouldn't be that hard to speak with your child's teacher.

Thank you, everyone. I know, the lack of communication at the school has been tough to deal with. I don't know if it's just this teacher or not, but it makes me feel really helpless. I've contacted her politely, letting her know that I really would value her feedback and truly want to help my child succeed for her sake, his sake, his classmates' sake! When she ignores me it feels like she's basically saying he's hopeless.

I wrote one more email and will probably reach out to a higher-up if she keeps on ignoring me.

Oh that sounds creepy and weird to me. I've never had an experience like that. Parents are warmly welcomed into preschools and schools here.

I managed to catch her eye at pickup yesterday and arranged a meeting! I'm glad, I didn't love the idea of going over her head.

Glad you managed to sort something with her I hope the meeting goes well but lay it down that you want to be involved and the next time she sees fit to ignore your requests after expressing there is a problem then you will go to the head master because it's out of order

I'm glad you caught her and I hope your meeting goes well! :)

Glad you managed to sort something with her I hope the meeting goes well but lay it down that you want to be involved and the next time she sees fit to ignore your requests after expressing there is a problem then you will go to the head master because it's out of order

Before you go there, find out if there is a reason your email was "ignored."

I know she's really busy. She DID see the emails I sent, and I had to send three and then talk to her in person to schedule a meeting, which is a little irritating, but I also know she's a new teacher and they're all busy catching up after a long break. So I probably will try to be less confrontational and see if we can just work together to make sure lines of communication are open in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->