(TEAM) Aphrodite - delivering Tigers in 2010

LittleAurora..... Amelia is just gorgeous and looks sooooo grown up now!

You will be pleased to hear the baby blues have passed now (I had it with each of my babies for just a day or two).

Right, here's my lengthily birth story, gore and all!!! lol

Within 24 hours of deciding on a home water birth we had managed to transform our conservatory into the birthing room with the hired birth pool set up in place! By the time I had finished the room, I felt very tired and had a bloody show. I had been losing bits and pieces of my mucus plug for about a week with lots of Braxton Hicks! By now I was a week over due! My community midwife has never been the kind of midwife I would recommend or want to deliver my baby and even now she was the only negative factor in the whole shift of birth plans. She was not encouraging of our plans and although she did organise the home birth paperwork, she kept reminding us that it still might not go ahead. I had to repeatedly chase up the home birth box to be delivered. My CM also told me that there would be no available pain relief and that there was no Entonox, but this was not what I was told by the lovely CM we had come round to assess me when I was in the latent stages of labour! However, I was woken up at 3am by vague period type pains on Thurs 23rd Sept. I went to the loo and realised I had had much more of a show and with that, contractions started to come about every 15/20 mins but they weren't really very painful. So I put on my TENS machine and tried to rest until morning. I got up and showered and phoned my CM to inform her that things had started. She sent a lovely CM round as she was busy in clinic and I was told I was 2/3cm dilated but that baby needed to move to a slightly more favourable position before labour would really start so I spent some time on my birth ball and on all fours. By just after lunchtime the contractions intensified and my CM turned up and examined me. She is not very gentle and I knew I must be around 4-5cm and was feeling ready to get in the pool as my TENS machine was beginning to not provide enough relief from the pain. I was trying my best to relax and breathe through each contraction and had some relaxing birth music on but I knew it was time for the warm water to relieve the tension I was feeling. However, on rough examination my CM told me I was still only 2-3cm and 50% effaced which I knew was inaccurate as I had already examined myself just before she got there! Maybe it was the anxiety she created that made me clam up! Tony also didn't like her attitude. We knew she was on duty until 5pm and desperately did not want her to be here to deliver our baby, so we were both relieved when she said she would leave us to it for a bit but that I should not get in the pool yet as I needed to be at least 4-5cm before I could do so or I would risk stopping or stalling labour. After she went, my contractions ramped up another gear and I began to get tearful as I was not coping well with the pain. So after about an hour I examined myself and could feel no thickness to my cervix so knew I was totally effaced and gestimated that I was about 5-6cm dilated. So I got in the pool which instantly relaxed me and I found I could cope better with the contractions and could zone out in between each one to get some much needed rest. By now I was vocalising through my contractions to enable me to cope. It was just Tony and I and Tony was very supportive but had to spend much time regulating the pool temperature to keep it constant.

We realised I was at transition stage when I started talking rubbish and crying! We waited until after my CM's shift finished before phoning labour ward to ask for a midwife. They called one out to us but we had to wait for her to get here. I was wanting Entonox by now but was just about coping. I was starting to feel the urge to push and so inbetween contractions, examined myself and knew I was fully dilated and could feel baby's head at the top of the birth canal. My waters were intact and I could feel the membranes around baby's head. I remained as calm as I could and Tony told Labour Ward I was starting to want to push. They said they would send a second closer midwife but if he thought delivery was imminent, he should phone an ambulance so the Paramedic could deliver the baby. I continued with the urge to push getting stronger with the next few contractions. Finally the door went just as I had a really powerful contraction and I told Tony I needed the Entonox quickly! Just then I pushed hard and baby's head crowned and I told the midwife..... "his head's crowning!" The midwife rushed in and told Tony to prepare to catch the baby whilst she scrambled around her bag to fetch out some gloves. Baby's body shot out with the next push (all in same contraction) and the midwife just managed to get her gloves on and grab him, brought him to the surface of the water and removed him from inside the intact membranes. He immediately cried heartily! The time was 6:24pm. Meanwhile I was in complete shock and crying and shaking all over. The midwife hadn't even had a chance to introduce herself and said to me, "you were hanging on to him until I got here, weren't you?". To which I replied "yes, I think so". Relief flooded my body as I realised he was fine and we had done it without any drugs or medical intervention.

So after a completely natural labour and delivery, came the slightly less positive bit.... The cord was clamped and cut without allowing it to stop pulsating as I had wanted but there was reason for this.... The cord was very short and was causing me discomfort with baby on my tummy as it was pulling on my very tender insides! Baby was taken from me and I got out of the pool. I was hoping for a natural 3rd stage but was given oxytocin injection as the blood loss was difficult to gauge. I delivered the placenta quickly. The midwife said how lucky it was for baby to be delivered in his water sack. I felt sick and shaky due to the speed of delivery and how touch and go it was that the midwife was going to make it in time! But within a couple of hours I started to feel better. Baby latched on straight away and fed for an hour in total. He weighed in at 8lb 10oz with a head circumference of 35cm and a length of 51cm. He was perfect but we couldn't decide on a name and at almost 48 hours old, we finally decided on Theo Jamie. I escaped with a very minor tear so no need for stitches despite the speed of his delivery!

So there we go!!!!! We are recovering well and Tony was and is great - really stepped up to the mark and I can recall him standing there expecting to have to catch his new baby son, like a goal keeper with hands outstretched and a look of concentration and fear right across his face! He said it did not bother him in the slightest to watch Theo coming out into the world, whereas, he's never wanted to be down "business end" before with our other sons! lol

My goodness Tink, what a story - you have to print it out and keep a copy for baby Theo Jamie for when he gets older. I think my eyes were really wide and my jaw was dropped open as I read - that's so incredible that you and Tony went through all of that, and you without painkillers and just knowing what was happening with you body. I am in awe! Thanks so much for sharing with us - thank goodness you have some experience with your other sons. :flower:

Devi - those are gorgeous pictures, I agree with the other girls, you look absolutely stunning, I can't believe you just had a baby! Your husband looks adorable with Arjun.

Aurora - I had to show my husband Amelia's Metallica t-shirt (he's a fan), and he was totally cooing at her picture - so sweet!!!!!!!

2016 - I'm sorry that you've been feeling so ill, you poor thing! Fantastic that your doctor has signed you off for 2 weeks, make sure you take a complete break. I felt guilty at first being off work, but now I'm just so grateful... I'm convinced that since my op, my pregnancy has gone smoothly because I've been resting. Plus I haven't experienced any swollen ankles or other bad pains - I don't even need to pee more than usual. So get well soon and rest up for you and Squiggle!

Devi- Swolen fish my arse!!!!! I wish our hospital had a professional photographer!!!!

Aurora- you birth some cute babies!!!!!!! Amelia is ADORABLE! And your OH is pretty cute too :D I'm suck a sucker for long hair and tattoos (which is funny because my hubs is always in the ARMY crew cut and no tats at all)!!! I wanted so bad to get Payson a little Nirvana tshirt :( Justin said NO lol it was 18 dollars and he wasn't having it!

2016- 2 weeks off!! YAY! You need to rest and relax and enjoy some you time before bubs gets here!! And don't let anyone run you ragged! You deserve to be happy and healthy in the workplace!

Tink- I'm so glad that you got the birth you mostly wanted! Its just about my worst nightmare to give birth at home with no drugs lol but I don't have a MW and my OH wouldn't be catching anything he'd probably faint! I'm so glad your over your baby blues! And I think Theo Jamie is a seriously cute name!!!!! will you call him ted??

I'm full term tomorrow!

Whoa tink that's a cracking birth story, especially the mental pic created of your hubby stood like a goalkeeper waiting to catch the baby!

Devi - those are stunning photographs. You look amazing and Arjun is soo cute.

Mm - Charlie is such a cutie and so blond too, glad things went ok.

Aurora - Amelia is beautiful and I am loving the metallica top, I'd love one of those for my bubs.

Clairenicole - full term tomorrow, yay. It's your turn next!!

I'm feeling rotten at the moment. Can hardly walk due to terrible pains in my side and across my bump, it's really getting me down as I can hardly do anything.apparently the mw says my stomach muscles have split which it what's causing the problem but they are pleased I've made it to 34 weeks and say if I do go into labour now then they will just let it go ahead. Oh and just to top it all off I got a letter from the hospital today saying that when I was admitted a few weeks ago they took a "specimen" and the lab results have come back and I need to see my doctor on Monday. I'm totally confused by it as I dont feel that I have an infection of any sort so I'm a bit mystified.

wow tink amazing story :) thanks for sharing...

oo ladybird hope all is ok, im sure its nothing serious hopefully just a little teeny infection, exciting that u could be meeting ur little baby anytime soon!

Thanks gg, must admit it is a bit worrying especially as I can't find out more til Monday. Fingers crossed it's just like you say and turns out to be a little infection x

I've had a couple infections LB... our bodies are sess pool apparently while we're pregnant!! I'm sure its nothing!!!!!! And some anti Bs will clear it up!

LOve the pics aurora. Wow she is growing up fast.

Ladybird - you can be restassured that if your specimin showed something threatening, then your doctor would have called you immediately rather than waiting until Monday, so hopefully it's not too serious! If your muscles have ripped, then make sure you wear a corset after your give birth to help them repair :)

I am FULL TERM today! At the MOST I have 20 more days!!! We're for SURE inducing on the 23rd... but shes going to induce on the 18th if I'm showing signs of labor before then because shes going to be out of town the 21st and 22nd..... but either way... 20 days!!!!!! THATS SO SOON! And yet so far away!

I thought full term was 40 weeks and term was 37? and im soooo jel xx

ClairNicole.....woop woop! It's the final countdown for you! How exciting! Great that you know the end is in clear sight! :yipee:

Tink...what a rollercoaster birth story. How scary to be there on your own, baby coming out with no midwife around! Eeeek! You did a superb job staying calm and letting your body do what it obviously knows how to do. :thumbup:

Ladybird...that sounds very painful :( it never ceases to amaze me the amount of body troubles pregnancy throws at us...and we keep going and do it again and again! :shrug: Us gals are TOUGH! Like Joli said, if the results were desperately urgent they wouldn't make you wait. I had them say the same to me and all I had was an ever so slightly elevated white blood count in a urine sample. When I went back and they repeated the test it was normal again. :dohh:

Thanks ladies, I've calmed down a bit now bout the letter. I'm sure it will be something and nothing. I'll post an update when I come back tomorrow. Just gotta manage to get an appointment first and deal with the battle-axe receptionist!!

woohoo ClaireNicole!! I have 30 days left to go, super excited - and ticker moved up to the last box today. Can't believe we're nearly there, remember when we first got our BFPs? :flower:

Wow! What a story tink!! You are so brave to do all that on your own. U must be so proud.

Ladybird hope the problem is just minor & nothing to worry about.

Claire final countdown!!!! Yay!! Last few days are the hardest to go by.

I'm back folks, the doc showed me what the hospital had sent n it just showed yeasts. He said that as I have no symptoms, ie itching, discharge etc that we can ignore it and I just need to contact my midwife if I do get symptoms.
Least now I know there's nothing wrong, thank goodness.

Aww, great pics, LittleAutora and Devi! Your little ones are both so adorable :)

Congrats on reaching full term, ClaireNicole! I'm 1 day behind you, so today is my day. Ready to go!

Here are some new belly pics. So much for my smooth belly :( I get kind of grossed out looking at it. Oh well...it's all for a good cause, right?

We get our U/S to determine size tomorrow. I am sure it won't be accurate but it will be nice to see the little guy on U/S one last time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

• belly 37w.jpg
    belly 37w.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
  • belly 37w-c.jpg
    belly 37w-c.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7
  • belly 37w-d.jpg
    belly 37w-d.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 5
Ladybird...... So pleased all was ok at the docs..... What a relief it must be for you.

Hibiscus....... What a lovely big round bump you have now! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->