~*~ Teen Mummys Natural Parenting Thread ~*~

Psh I co-slept with Emerald until we LEFT the hospital. I told them to suck my balls when they said she should sleep in the little cradle thing.

Same here! The doctor came in to our room check on him and OH and LO were fast asleep on the little bed and she was like you really shouldn't be sleeping with him it is extremely dangerous! I was ya he looks like he's in extreme danger. I love co sleeping and will co sleep until Nathan decides he doesn't want to anymore.

On a different note, can anyone explain to me what kind if fabric from the fabric store I need to make my own woven wrap. I read a website that said gauze fabric but I have no idea what that is :dohh: I would looove to buy a woven wrap but they are way out of my budget.

I made my own wrap with a seersucker fabric. It was 100% cotton and worked very well with not to much give or anything to it I also used it till she was 18 months :thumbup: after that it was to warm because it was summer then she didn't want to go in it anymore.

We got a very thick woven fabric and tested to make sure it would hold her and not only does it work its very comfortable as well. I had a stretchy knit wrap when she was younger but she quickly grew out of that (especially since she didn't want to be worn until later so I was glad I didn't invest a lot of money in an expensive stretchy wrap).

It's just that fabrics can tear and it is impossible to know the weight limit.

With proper use i would consider it safe. It is not that hard to notice if fabric is wearing out and is safe to carry your child. Also pretty sure im not the first ever person to make my own wrap and use it safely, considering I got the idea originally from another mothering forum. It all comes down to common sense if your picking a strong enough fabric, which also in turn isn't that hard to determine either. I also made my own mei tai to and it was completely safe.

I just see using a home made mei tai as a bit different - but even THAT I wouldn't use unless I had some very good sewing skills and knew EXACTLY what I was dojg.

I don't know, I can't say I would be comfortable doing that, personally. Not unless I had properly researched the right kind of weaves, etc, and was hundred percent sure on it.

It's just not something I would mess with...

I learned to sew at a young age so im pretty confident in my sewing skills personally. Making a wrap though i would consider safe next to making your own mei tai which requires a very good machine and very good bottom weight fabrics, not cheap in the least i would have saved money to buy one possibly. Also most fabrics will not split randomly in the middle as it goes against the grain of the fabric most fabrics rip only easily length wise which would be easy to notice. Mainly though yes you should just know what fabrics you are working with.

Ooh yeah I tried to make my own mei tai, and I consider myself pretty good at sewing, but my first try SUCKED BALLS. So I just had to break an arm off and give it to babyhawk for a safe mei tai hahaha.

i broke a few needles and well spent a lot of time swearing at my machine and blah it was hard lol but i got it done, it was just really hard because i made sure to like triple sew basically each step lol and the padding i used was a bit on the thick side so my machine didn't seem to like it very much lol

I think making your own things is so neat! Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do, purple kiwi. Very cool. :D

Just been reading a co-sleeping article and apparently it's unsafe to do it if you're not BF? Is this true? What about expressing? Not really relevant now but curious for the future.

thebabywearer.com is an awesome source!

I had no idea there was so much to baby wearing I know the URL was posted for someone else but thanks for sharing.

Psh I co-slept with Emerald until we LEFT the hospital. I told them to suck my balls when they said she should sleep in the little cradle thing.

Same here! The doctor came in to our room check on him and OH and LO were fast asleep on the little bed and she was like you really shouldn't be sleeping with him it is extremely dangerous! I was ya he looks like he's in extreme danger. I love co sleeping and will co sleep until Nathan decides he doesn't want to anymore.

On a different note, can anyone explain to me what kind if fabric from the fabric store I need to make my own woven wrap. I read a website that said gauze fabric but I have no idea what that is :dohh: I would looove to buy a woven wrap but they are way out of my budget.

Yea she slept with me/us the entire time we were in the hospital except once nurses would come in during the night and my doctor did as well and no one said anything about it.

Cosleeping is safest when breastfeeding because breastfeeding mothers have a higher awareness of their babies. I would say the article is right. I am sure some FF would disagree however.

So it's not safe at all? It makes sense yeah I was just wondering if it's a total no-go.

I wouldn't say it is a total no-go. I just know it is much safer if breastfeeding in general.

I co-sleep and ERF (can you add me? :)) I breastfed for 16 months but am not longer BFing.

Emma got a temporary ban, so she won't be able to add you!

As for people putting you down about breastfeeding/cloth nappying etc just ignore them, if you truly want to do it, and put in the hard work then you will be able to. My midwife told me to co-sleep, she said she was going to check through the night that I didn't squish him. I was terrified.

Why what happened? :wacko: Sorry to be incredibly nosey.

I agree, ignore everybody. You need to be determined to keep things like breastfeeding up so good on you.

Not sure on the exact reason, but I am guessing it is from digging through old threads to find off topic chat threads after confessions was locked. So Wobbles would lock it because she obviously didn't want a chat thread open, and Emma would open another. :p that is a bit of a guess.

I want to switch to cloth now that fin i feel confident with everything, can anyone recommend a good type? They all look pretty much the same to me at the moment :haha:

Also, any recommendations for a carrier? At the moment i'm using a Wilkinet, I just dont feel like its that comfy for finlay even though he seems pretty content in it.. He likes facing out at the moment and gets pretty squirmy facing in, but he is quite big (around 15/16 lbs already i think) and the sling I have he can't see anything facing in and is all snuggled up.. So yeah, any recommendations? :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->