Teeth hurt! Cavities?! Please Help :(

seabump

Reaction score
Four of my molars hurt so bad, like I have developed really bad cavities all of a sudden. It's been going on since we got our BFP. Is this common? I called my dentist but they said they have to take x-rays and there's no way around skipping x-rays. I really don't want to do x-rays especially with such an early pregnancy. What should I do??

Just wanted to chime in. Since by BFP, my teeth have been more sensitive to hot and cold substances. I'm assuming it must be a pregnancy thing.. Hope it gets better because I have braces!!

Ugh I hate American dentists and their love of x rays!

I'm a Brit in the US and I refuse dental x rays at every appointment. They are overused and unnecessary.

Your dentist should be able to take a look and see if you have any cavities. In my opinion relying on x rays shows a lack of skill.

Four of my molars hurt so bad, like I have developed really bad cavities all of a sudden. It's been going on since we got our BFP. Is this common? I called my dentist but they said they have to take x-rays and there's no way around skipping x-rays. I really don't want to do x-rays especially with such an early pregnancy. What should I do??

I just went through this, one of my teeth suddenly became very irritated, then it got infected and I ended up needing a root canal. I had to go through the whole process, but my understanding of the situation is that it is far worse to have a mouth infection than it is to just go through with the procedure and get it fixed. However to suddenly have four molars bothering you is strange. Are they all on the same side? Are you having any sinus/ear problems? Could be something else causing them to feel irritated. I hope it passes for you, and is nothing major.

I have a couple on each side that hurt! Did you have to get x-rays to get yours fixed?

I just went through this, one of my teeth suddenly became very irritated, then it got infected and I ended up needing a root canal. I had to go through the whole process, but my understanding of the situation is that it is far worse to have a mouth infection than it is to just go through with the procedure and get it fixed. However to suddenly have four molars bothering you is strange. Are they all on the same side? Are you having any sinus/ear problems? Could be something else causing them to feel irritated. I hope it passes for you, and is nothing major.

I would guess it's probably congestion in your sinuses causing the pain. Try things that relieve congestion to see if the tooth pain subsides. An early pregnancy symptom is congestion, and my teeth always ache when I have sinus pressure. Try putting your face over a hot cup of mint tea (or even just water), and throw a towel over your head to keep the steam in.

I have a couple on each side that hurt! Did you have to get x-rays to get yours fixed?

Unfortunately yes I did, but there was really no way around it. I didn't want to but after trying to soothe the tooth on my own and taking antibiotics I had to go for it. They needed to x-ray to see what was going on and then to make sure they got all the pulp out of the tooth before they filled it. Then one last one for my dental records my belly was covered with the lead sheet though.

Pregnancy can do all kinds of weird things! But yes, you need x rays to get a proper diagnosis! To say that "relying on x rays shows a lack of skill" is the most unintelligent thing I've ever heard! Yes they can look in your mouth and see some cavities but that is only half of the picture! You can't see in between the teeth without x rays and you can't see if there is any infection or an abcess without x rays. While I agree that taking unnecessary x rays is not good especially when pregnant it's way worse to have untreated infection in your mouth. Check with your dentist and make sure they use digital x rays because it's less radiation and request an abdominal shield. I would just discuss it with your OB and see what he says. I am a dental hygienist and we take x rays on pregnant people all the time. The best time to have treatment done is in the 2nd trimester. Hopefully it's just some random sensitivity and you don't need treatment at all! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->