TENS... to buy rent or not bother????

Saxogirl

Mum to 2 beautiful boys!
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone else is doing?
I'm def not gonna buy one but a few friends have told me not to bother at all and now I'm not sure what to do - just wondered what others were planning/doing??

:baby:

I haven't decided whether to buy or rent as yet but I am definitely going to give it a go. One of the girls from my preggers yoga class had her baby 4 weeks ago and she said that the tens machine was fantastic. She was in early labour for about 3 days and she used it from the word go and she said it made a huge difference. In fact, she got to use the birthing pool too and she said she liked it but the tens machine had more of a relaxing, pain relieving effect.

I think for the best effect you have to start using it early in your labour so that the endorphins build up and so you get the best effect.

Will watch this with interest as I am not sure what to do, I have also heard mixed reviews...

Thanks....x.

Honestly, I've never heard about this machine until reading about it on this website. It sounds pretty scary! Has anyone used it? I don't think I'll be using it....

I just hired one from here https://www.tensmachinehire.vpweb.co.uk/default.html

Should be with me in just over a week

I used one and it was really good. You have to put it on early in labour for it to have an effect, you also have to keep it on and just trust that it's working coz if you take it off there's no going back!

Do they run off batteries??? If so how long they last?

Yeah they run on batteries. not really sure how long it lasts, id have some spares available just incase x

i regret not renting or buying, i am defo giving it a go next time round (not preg yet, im still WTT)

I've decided not to bother with one, mainly because I am plus size and have heard they aren't as effective.

Cx

I have a few friends that said they were fantastic... so ive bought one. It worked out only about £20 more than renting and i can keep it for next time too.

My husband bought me one from Argos for my birthday. They are relatively cheap and work well for my back and shoulder pain.

I was in hospital with a lady who was using it in early labour and even at a low level she said it was helping.

At our ante natal class last night there was a video showing where a couple of women were talking about specific things they did when they had a contraction in early labour and how it was beneficial just to have something else to think about. The TENS machine can at the very least do that - give you something to concentrate on i.e the sensation, the controls etc, to take your mind off the contraction.

I actually can't see the point of hiring them when they can be bought cheaply and either sold on or used after labour for all sorts of other aches and pains.

You get specific ones just for labour i was told. I dont know if that means the normal tens machines dont work for labour pains????? I know the labour ones have boost buttons on them too

You get specific ones just for labour i was told. I dont know if that means the normal tens machines dont work for labour pains????? I know the labour ones have boost buttons on them too

Yeah, ive got a special one for labour. They have larger pads on them so that they cover the right area for contractions, and they have a boost buttont hat you press when you feel the contraction building.

After lots of research and recommendation i went for the babycare elle tens
didnt get it from this site, but its this one https://www.babycaretens.com/acatalog/Elle_TENS.html)

Mine has larger pads and a boost button. It's not one specific for labour.

oow good thread! i've been thinking abt this too...i was told some people manage to get lent one form their midwives- anyone know if thats true?

As I'm being induced I'm just going to use the ones they have available in my hospital. I was going to rent but realised there's not much point as I won't be in labour at home. My midwife really recommended them to be, as did my parenting class teacher. We'll see how it goes :)

My community MWs have a couple that they lend out for homebirths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->