Test positive for down syndrome at 76%? Please help!

Baby2wow

Reaction score
Hello,

I am 33 year old and just did the blood screening test for down syndrome and my son was test at 76% positive. I am now 13 weeks and have a 16 week ultrasound set up in a few weeks but I am sooo worried.

I was wondering what should I expect and if there are any stories of false positive results. I am not sure what to think at this point. I cant stop crying and worrying what is going to happen.

The 76% is sooo high! Any advice for me please.

thank you!!!

Hey Hun. Have they given you the option of further testing? Which blood tests are you talking about? The combined 12 week ones that test free hcg, Papp-a and afp? Or a NIPT test?

I had this happen this pregnancy, my blood results put me in a high risk category, I'm currently waiting for the results of a harmony test to give me a result but was offered cvs and an amnio also.

Big hugs for you, it's a stressful time xxx

A lady I used I work with, her daughter was pregnant and tested high for Downs Syndrome. It was so high that the doctor even suggested a termination. She didn't want to do that though so continued the pregnancy and when he was born he didn't have DS, was completely healthy!

I have also heard of false positives.

So sorry to hear that though, I hope everything is ok. Big hugs x

I don't have personal experience, but my friend was told over and over throughout her pregnancy that there was more than a 90% chance that her baby had either down's or another chromosomal issue, and she was repeatedly recommended to terminate.
Her daughter was born perfectly healthy and is now a scarily clever 13 year old! Her whole pregnancy stressed her out that much that she chose to never have more children. It was her experience that made my decision to not have the NT and bloods screening during this and my last pregnancy, as the fear of getting a false positive and going through months of stress wasn't worth it. Plus, I knew that Down's Syndrome wasn't something that would ever make me consider a termination. My niece has a daughter who is Down's, and she is a beautiful and happy baby girl. My auntie had another condition, Prader-Willi Syndrome, and a more amazing person you could never meet. She truly blessed the whole family, and despite the fact that she passed away at 29, she is so fondly remembered and missed.
Good luck with any further tests and keep us updated xxxxxxx :hugs:

Neither a blood test or an ultrasound will confirm anything - they will just provide murky stats. You must have a diagnostic test done if you truly want to know (I would and I did opt for an amnio my first pregnancy due to very high odds). At 13 weeks, you should be able to get a CVS or if you want until 16 weeks or so, an amnio. You just have to weigh the small risk of miscarriage from such an invasive test to the benefits of knowing for sure. Wish you the very best!:hugs:

I opted to skip all that and got the NIPT blood test at 10 weeks this time. It's not as accurate as say a CVS or amnio but would pick up Downs and other chromosomal abnormalities with a 90% accuracy rate. It also tells you the sex so we knew everything super early.

I was offered that test today and the dr told me that a lot of those tests give false readings in healthy babies so I wouldn't worry. That's the reason I turned it down because I worry enough now

I know two people who were given high odds with one told a 1 in 15 chance and the other told 1 in 20 chance of downs both were born without any sign of it. One is 5 and one is 7. Good luck with your test xx

If that was the 1st trimester screening, then it's not actually a positive since it's can't diagnose. It just gives a risk ratio and even if you are really high risk, it still doesn't mean the baby has anything. I was 1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18 and 1:17 for Down Syndrome. It didn't mean baby had any of those, but just a high risk she could. Baby was healthy. I opted to have the MaterniT21 blood test rather than an invasive test to find out if baby did have any of the trisomies or not. The test is highly accurate with no risk of miscarriage. I wish you the best. I know how incredibly worrying it is.

I have heard of false results. Ask for further testing or to be referred to a high risk OB, they should be able to do an in depth ultrasound and give you more insight. Hugs!

From what I've read, if you had the first trimester test that it has a very high rate of being false. After every story I read and people given false readings I don't think they should even be doing that test. Ask your dr for a more accurate test like the harmony, matern21, or nipt. (I think that's what they are called )

I had them done but they warned me since we transferred two and only one stuck we might have a higher chance of false positives. I would have the follow ups for sure. I know people who have high results and no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->