Testing amber?

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
I'm sure i read it soemwhere in here, did someone say there was a way of testing amber necklaces to make sure they're real. I seem to remember somehting about them floating and hot needles but i may be wrong :shrug:

Amber floats in salt water ( i think) and if you burn it with hot needles it shouldnt smell like plastic...think its meant to smell like tree sap (but i cant be sure) :hugs:

sara

xxxxxx

I found this link which should help:

https://www.gplatt.demon.co.uk/identify.htm

Yes I know I'm sad! lol, but I'm going to start making amber teething necklaces to sell so I needed to make sure I wouldn't get conned by my suppliers :)

To test mine, I disolved as much salt as I could in a cup of water and checked that it floated. Also, if you rub amber with a cloth (can't remember if it should be synthetic or natural material), it should build up static and then be able to pick up small pieces of paper. I didn't burn a hole cos I'm too lazy so I'm hoping the other two tests are proof enough!

thanks girls. They're for my store so just want to double check they're real before passing on. I'm pretty sure they will be, i turst the place purchased but I will feel happier if I test myself before passing on iykwim? I don't want to be burning holes lol but I'll try the floating thing.

I found this link which should help:

https://www.gplatt.demon.co.uk/identify.htm

Yes I know I'm sad! lol, but I'm going to start making amber teething necklaces to sell so I needed to make sure I wouldn't get conned by my suppliers :)

ooh hun, i was looking into making some too...but havent managed to find any good suppliers...hope you dont mind me being cheeky but have you found a half decent supplier?? mind sharing?:blush:

sara

xxxxx

I'm still looking tbh. I haven't found many suppliers that sell the genuine stuff that's not 're-constituted' and some of them that do the real amber are so pricey that I wouldn't make anything. I've found one which sells the amber chips which I might try but they are not that cheap either, but I can send you the info on that one if you want it. If I find a really good affordable one I'll let you know though x

i just did the salt test with archies and it floated, am unsure if its the real deal though

id try one of the others tests aswell because it said that only ''some'' plastics sink

x

I'm still looking tbh. I haven't found many suppliers that sell the genuine stuff that's not 're-constituted' and some of them that do the real amber are so pricey that I wouldn't make anything. I've found one which sells the amber chips which I might try but they are not that cheap either, but I can send you the info on that one if you want it. If I find a really good affordable one I'll let you know though x

that would be great hun...i've found the same thing too...everything i have found was either fake or costed too much to make anything for less than £20 LOL :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->