Thatcher is dead

My only experience with british made goods was recent orders I made of cushions, which were so bad I had to send them straight back.:lol:

My only experience with british made goods was recent orders I made of cushions, which were so bad I had to send them straight back.:lol:
I suppose at least it hadn't been sprayed with formaldehyde like with Chinese products: https://www.parentdish.com/2007/08/19/chinese-clothing-may-be-toxic/ :haha:

What do you all feel/think about the decision to impose a minutes silence in her memory at the Reading V Liverpool game?

I feel that it is the wrong game at the very least. Many Liverpool fans believe she was responsible for the coverup with Hillsborough (I dont know enough to make a judgement) and for them it is as raw today as it was back then. They are no closer to real answers than they ever were, so it will probably/maybe feel disrespect to the 96 people who lost their lives that day.

Surely no one wins as the Liverpool fans may feel that their history and those fans are being disrespected and of course people who are still angry will boo, so therefore in some way that could be seen as disrespectful to Margaret Thatcher.

I dunno, we really need to move some of our industry back here if we want to keep up with unemployment rates but companies will never oblige now they're used to such enormous profit margins. Heritage wear like Burberry has even moved abroad it's pretty disgusting since they don't make down their prices to reflect that (or at least give their employees abroad a decent living wage). Everyone hates on Primark but at least they are honest with their prices, unlike someone like Fred Perry who pays a pittance for their stock. I know this all sounds rather simplistic but we're a condensed country, we need to demand more industry to stay here. Especially with the rise of computerisation in every department; jobs are only going to decrease thanks to the internet/intelligent machinery.

What do you all feel/think about the decision to impose a minutes silence in her memory at the Reading V Liverpool game?

I feel that it is the wrong game at the very least. Many Liverpool fans believe she was responsible for the coverup with Hillsborough (I dont know enough to make a judgement) and for them it is as raw today as it was back then. They are no closer to real answers than they ever were, so it will probably/maybe feel disrespect to the 96 people who lost their lives that day.

Surely no one wins as the Liverpool fans may feel that their history and those fans are being disrespected and of course people who are still angry will boo, so therefore in some way that could be seen as disrespectful to Margaret Thatcher.

Not appropriate at all, who thinks of this stuff?!

Not appropriate at all, who thinks of this stuff?!

Sometimes you have to question where the common sense is these days!
I can't see the Liverpool fans keeping silent. It will backfire.

I never understood the whole premise of paying respects through enforced moments of silence. It's so pretentious. People who want to remember her will, of their own accord. It achieves nothing and given the circumstances is autocratic.

apparently it's not happening anymore, thank god!!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liv...n-sir-john-madejski-s-wishes-100252-33148909/

John Madejski you absolute pillock

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liv...n-sir-john-madejski-s-wishes-100252-33148909/

Not surprising since he is a major Tory donor, who are capitalizing shamefully on her death. Our very own pillock Boris Johnson wants her to have a statue. Don't think there will be any more shortages of public toilets if that goes ahead.

Not surprising since he is a major Tory donor, who are capitalizing shamefully on her death. Our very own pillock Boris Johnson wants her to have a statue. Don't think there will be any more shortages of public toilets if that goes ahead.

Jesus shows how out of touch the Tories really are! 3 Million on her ceremonial funeral apparently, a possible statue - and yet they dismiss comments on our spiraling economic disparity.

Yeah I found an article saying it will now be for the Hillsborough 96 given that it is two days before the anniversary.

Apparently it's 10million now, how is this justified?!

I'm not quite sure i believe any of the figure being thrown about.

I have my doubts too, don't see how it jumped from 3mil so quickly - but I don't think any state money should be spent on it, not when she was extremely wealthy. Her family can comfortably afford a wonderful funeral. It's just not the right time for that sort of expenditure. Apparently, MPs who are flying home from abroad to attend will be able to claim it on expenses too. This is all getting a bit much and becoming VERY undignified fast.

I have my doubts too, don't see how it jumped from 3mil so quickly - but I don't think any state money should be spent on it, not when she was extremely wealthy. Her family can comfortably afford a wonderful funeral. It's just not the right time for that sort of expenditure. Apparently, MPs who are flying home from abroad to attend will be able to claim it on expenses too. This is all getting a bit much and becoming VERY undignified fast.

Whats most frustrating is that she expressly said she didn't want any of it.

I imagine security alone is going to cost a lot. The fact that all London police will likely be called back from holiday etc. Got to factor in the almost £4k each the MP's can claim to fly back too.

I dont get this ceremonial funeral, it seems to me it was a loop hole to getting a state funeral without having to debate it in the house of commons, as it is practically the same bar her lying in state and the fly over.

Not to mention we are still recovering from the Royal Wedding and the Olympics,

^^I think she said she didn't want to 'lie in state' but wanted a War Leaders funeral which is still state funded? It's all a bit confusing

I imagine security alone is going to cost a lot. The fact that all London police will likely be called back from holiday etc. Got to factor in the almost £4k each the MP's can claim to fly back too.

I dont get this ceremonial funeral, it seems to me it was a loop hole to getting a state funeral without having to debate it in the house of commons, as it is practically the same bar her lying in state and the fly over.

Lets just hope we have no shop looting/riots that day because the Police will be elsewhere!

It is confusing. I read that an official state funeral would have to be agreed in the house of commons with the opening of the public purse strings and therefore would cause a debate amongst ministers. Whereas a ceremonial one doesnt need that. Plus an official state funeral would mean a day of mourning which I can see too many people being impressed with.

As for the rioting, sadly it will probably happen. It may well begin near by and be used as an excuse.

Urgh can't believe they're going to spend so much on her funeral! That is so very very wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->