The basics of cloth diapering

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
So Renah will be 15lbs pretty soon and I swore when she hit 15lbs I was going to put her in cloth diapers. Anyway, I'm getting ready to order them but I'm a bit confused about some things.

I'm ordering this starter kit and it says it includes 1 roll of flushable liners. So I was searching the website to see how much refill liners were, and I can't find them. The only thing I can find are inserts. So here's my question - are inserts the same thing as liners or are they something entirely different? And if they're different, do you need liners if you have inserts? If someone could explain the basic process of cloth diapering to be I'd be muchly appreciative!

This is the site I'm ordering from if this helps: https://www.forbabywithlove.ca/en/package_deals/packages_diapers/p17079184.html

I bought kushies from sears and they work good. They have a liner you can put in too but I dont generally use them. I just throw the diaper in the washing machine once its used.

https://www.kushies.com/Cataloque/catalogue.html

I think you might be getting confused with booster inserts. They are made from the same fabric as the nappy and you stick them in (between the nappy and the liner) to give additional absorbancy usually at night.

Basically you have (working outside inwards):

1. The wrap - the equivalent bit to the old fashioned plastic pants. In other words it stops the wee getting onto their clothes.

2. The nappy itself

3. Possibly a booster insert - for additional absorbancy for big wee-ers and night time.

4. Liners - these catch the poo and you chuck them or if your plumbing is up to it... flush 'em. You can get the disposable liners like in your starter pack or ....if you are feeling really brave and eco-friendly.... washable liners. :sick: :rofl:

I'd email the company and ask how much for some more flushable liners.

Hope that helps.

Helen

x

The flushable liners I have look like basically a dryer sheet. And you just flush that with the poo on it.

Ok, I have some flushable liners... and line Samantha said they look like dryer sheets and didnt feel very nice to me... Where do you put them in the diaper??? I couldnt imagine putting them against the baby's skin??

I have had two different brands, one was soft and the other was stiff and horrible, and I never used those. The soft ones were great.

The flushable ones, are they the Kushies?

That site doesn't offer them, just the washables. Maybe I'll be brave. its not like I haven't been covered in poop before :rofl:

I started off on prefolds, but I'll be really honest, check out the simple terry-cloth, pins and plastic pants approach.... I've got both and I love my terries more than the prefolds!

They clean up better, they dry quicker and I think they're more absorbant... they do just take about 10 seconds longer to fold! and maybe 20 seconds longer fiddling with pins!

I got a packet of 12 terries for $30 AUS, not sure how that converts, but its VERY cheap. Pins were about $3, plastic pants were about $3 each! Total $42

Compared to the Mio Bambino prefold system where I got 12 prefolds and 3 wraps for $150 - which were the cheapest I could find to buy from a shop in Sydney (and I did HEAPS of research first!) Soon enough Jasper will outgrown the 'meduim' size of the Mios and I'll simpy replace them with more terries and plastic pants, as the terries you just fold them differently as they get older... and unless they wear out or you lose them, you dont have to replace them as your poppet get bigger!

The flushable liners are good but not great and not really important with newborns... they make no difference and picking them out of the nappy when they're covered in sloppy poop is a bit gross! I'm going to use liners once Jasper is eating solids and so... doing solid poops. As at least my BF lad's poops just run through the liner into the nappy ANYWAY!

I've FINALLY worked out a system of washing them that works for me! I have them in a dry nappy basket with a lid (OMG lid is important after day 2! Yuck! I also recommend picking up lavendar oil, or something, as it makes the room smell lovely instead of poopy!) I find 24 nappies gets me through 3 days, so I wash every 2nd day, so I have that barrier... I put them into the washing machine and fill it up let them soak over night in a nappy soak, then in the morning run the washng machine, then its finished, I put in a normal washing powder (for sensitive skin) and run the washing machine again... thats worked to get ALL the stains out. I'm thinking about getting another 12 nappies to make it more econimical, as i I was washing every 3rd day I'd be using the same water/power/electricity/effort and only washing twice a week!

Dont bother paying for nappy bags either, I collect up the supermarket plastic bags and stash them under my pram for when I need them (although, I think everyone pretty much does that!)

So... I guess... thats what I do...

I hope that gives you some ideas about how you might want to do it!

The flushable ones, are they the Kushies?

That site doesn't offer them, just the washables. Maybe I'll be brave. its not like I haven't been covered in poop before :rofl:

nothing like a baby spraying poop all over you once or twice to make pretty much nothing seem gross anymore, hey?

The washable liners are actually really good, they're made of fleece so the poo just falls off into the toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->