The damn puppy *rant*

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's defiantly the lab in her, I have a 7month old chocolate lab and by Christ he's a little shit. but please don't deal with her poo ask your OH to deal with it, there is something in the poo that can harm pregnant women!

Totally agreeing on the lab statement...when i was a kid, we had a chocolate lab and she loved to take plates, paper towels, whatever she could get and just run from you with them...not rip them up or eat them, but just "heee! you cant get it back from meee!"..our yellow lab is a shredder though...paper, junk mail, whatever she can find...toilet paper...etc...thats why she cant be unsupervised at night, she would be in evverrryyyything..but she loves her crate, thank goodness :thumbup:
Ive heard of the toxoplasmosis in cat poop, but couldnt find anything on dogs...but yeah, if you can get the OH to do it, im all for that :haha:

Hi all. I stopped reading these posts. I posted in here to have a safe place to rant and get my frustrations out, so I didn't feel like I was taking anger out on my OH or the pup. I did not post for

1. People to tell me to get rid of my puppy. You do not know the dogs situation, and there is never a garentee that where the dog goes she would be treated well or even fed. Once a dog is out of your hands, you have no clue what will happen to them. And that is much more upsetting to me than having OH keep HIS dog and deal with her.

2. I was not looking for training advice. I have trained animals and been around animals my whole life. This is not my first dog, and I have trained dogs before. If I was looking for tips and tricks on how to train a puppy, I would have used my Google and found a dog training form to ask questions.

3. This post more about my pregnancy,nd how it's affecting my ability to tolerate things. I know the dog was what the rant was about, but there are other factors, including OH who plays good cop bad cop.

4. I was not offended by posts, but I found them quite funny. I feel if I had been ranting about OH or if I had another child that I was having a hard time coping with them all hormonal would you suggest I get rid of them? Or give me some tips on how to handle them by the way YOU would do it.

I know I was about as clear as mud, but the point of the post was to put my thoughts down and share them, to get them out of my head and relieve stress. I was looking for posts like 'yes hormones make is all a little edgy' or something. Not these posts suggesting or telling me how to handle the dog. Understanding, not suggestions. Like I said, if I wanted suggestions I would have found a website to talk about the issue.

I wasn't one of the people who was saying get rid but I was one giving tips because you said no matter what you do never seems to work...

Sorry, we are all hormonal at the minute, but I wouldn't hesitate to say if I thought someone was mistreating a child either.

It's tough for you, yes, but your posts make it sound much worse for your dog (I mean chaining it up upside).

I wasn't one of the people who was saying get rid but I was one giving tips because you said no matter what you do never seems to work...

Yep, me neither! i totally sympathize, because im a yellow lab mom and it seems to run in all their genes...some days she is so good, and some days i cant stand to be around her...but i never stop loving the lunk regardless :haha:

My full grown 4 year old dog still has accidents.

I just deal with it. They're dogs. It happens.

Can you hear her where you sleep? If we lock our dog downstairs he doesn't wake us to go out in the night. If he has access to our bedroom he comes and wakes us when he needs to go.

I think you just need more patience and consistency. If your still having house breaking problems at night the alarm needs to be set and the pup needs to be going out more frequently again. Some take longer to train. My golden was such a wonderful dog to train. Very easy and learned quickly. We got him at 5wks. Our husky shephard mix was a little more submissive like yours and had accidents because she was so shy. She was DH's dog and would not cooperate for me whatsoever (even bit me). When you are having problems regardless of breed or age you just need to crackdown on a more consistent schedule and lots of praise and love when they do right. When they do wrong let them know but don't hold a grudge. They can sense those things and get stressed out just like a person if not more. Your dog WANTS to do things right and make you happy. They just need proper guidance. I agree that pets and babies do not mix unless they are well trained and settled in already. We kept our golden retriever but had to rehome our husky mix and our collie mix. They just weren't catching on enough to housebreaking and mainly they were too aggressive. Our golden is a big teddy bear and wouldn't hurt a fly :)

You definitely shouldn't tie a five month old puppy outside all day because you are hormonal and irrationally hate the dog. If you've trained dogs before then do it again, or get rid of her. It's very simple.

Hi all. I stopped reading these posts. I posted in here to have a safe place to rant and get my frustrations out, so I didn't feel like I was taking anger out on my OH or the pup. I did not post for

1. People to tell me to get rid of my puppy. You do not know the dogs situation, and there is never a garentee that where the dog goes she would be treated well or even fed. Once a dog is out of your hands, you have no clue what will happen to them. And that is much more upsetting to me than having OH keep HIS dog and deal with her.

2. I was not looking for training advice. I have trained animals and been around animals my whole life. This is not my first dog, and I have trained dogs before. If I was looking for tips and tricks on how to train a puppy, I would have used my Google and found a dog training form to ask questions.

3. This post more about my pregnancy,nd how it's affecting my ability to tolerate things. I know the dog was what the rant was about, but there are other factors, including OH who plays good cop bad cop.

4. I was not offended by posts, but I found them quite funny. I feel if I had been ranting about OH or if I had another child that I was having a hard time coping with them all hormonal would you suggest I get rid of them? Or give me some tips on how to handle them by the way YOU would do it.

I know I was about as clear as mud, but the point of the post was to put my thoughts down and share them, to get them out of my head and relieve stress. I was looking for posts like 'yes hormones make is all a little edgy' or something. Not these posts suggesting or telling me how to handle the dog. Understanding, not suggestions. Like I said, if I wanted suggestions I would have found a website to talk about the issue.

This is a chat forum, is it not? If I was your partner I would be leary leaving you with a dog you do not like. I think alot of posters were suggesting rehoming as it is causing you so much distress.

my dog is my baby, after 8 years of TTC I am now 10 weeks preg.. I do worry how i'll cope with a baby and my baby puppy who has all my attention, sleeps with me, goes everywhere with me and i can't imagine not having him with me 24/7 so just wondered how other new mums have coped having a new baby with an exisiting puppy and how puppy got on with new baby etc.. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, next time you post for advice, i'll just back on out and go help someone who wants it.

Sorry but your post makes me sad for your dog. I'm not overly concerned with your hormones. I have hormones but I'm not lashing out in frustration at innocent baby animals. If you're such an expert on training animals?..... Well it sure doesn't sound like it.

Okay... I actually completely understand the frustration in this post. We adopted TWO puppies in July, and then found out we were pregnant in August. Our puppies even EAT their poop... That's the worst thing ever for aggravating my morning sickness. They are going to turn 1 the day after my due date... Crazy. They're so cute, though, and I could NEVER give them up for anything. Love our little furballs!

Edit: I somehow totally missed the chaining the dog up outside thing, which I would never agree with (our little girls are rescues and were left in a box next to a highway as tiny puppies so I am VERY sensitive to any kind of wrongful treatment) but I do understand how hard it is to be pregnant and try to train a puppy. We don't have children yet and I've commented to my OH that I can't imagine being pregnant with a baby after this because I'm sure it's so much harder, so it totally makes me respect anyone in that situation THAT much more.

This post I am sure will make me even more unpopular. But at this point its ok. Because I have some things to say.

1. Yes I will chain the pup outside. If she is so hell bent on getting out of the fence, her chances of being hit or grabbed up are quite a bit higher than if she was SAFE in the yard. I believe animals need to learn to he tied. Never once did I say she would be put there for hours or days. In fact I stated in my fist post she is an indoor dog, and spends little time outside without us with her. That being said, if I take her out and put her on the chain for 20 minutes at a time while she takes a potty, it will NOT hurt her.

2. Dogs are animals. Animals are animals. They are not humans. While most of todays domestic animals are peoples 'family' or their 'kids' I am different. If I am going to take the time with an animals, feed it and house it, they have to have some kind of use. This dog, while she is a pet, is not for us to cuddle and love and cater to.
She is for hunting. The whole reason we have this animal is to train her to bird hunt. All of my animals are like that. My horses are for hunting as well, and packing.
I raise rabbits to eat. We raised cows and goats for years for the same reason. The dog is not mistreated. She is expected to learn things, even if she is just a puppy. Heck if it came down to it I would eat her before I starve. It's an animal.

It's abit contradictive saying she gets through the fence cause the first rant was about her not even wanting to go out. So she should be chained for that reason.... I don't agree with how you treat animals so I will leave this post.

to the OP, I totally agree with you. Animals are animals. I am sorry you're having a hard time with your puppy and that others are giving you a hard time about it.

I hope something works out.

This thread has been closed based on the high volume of reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back