The Great Farleys Rusk debate!!! - good or bad

I'm in the no camp. The amount of sugar in them is scary.

My lo had them everday when we started weaning as his dietrician said they were ok for him to have and told us to get the original ones not reduced..however he has specific diet requirements..i probably wont be so generous with our 2nd when he starts on solids!

Slightly off topic but when i was getting my lo weighed the other day another mum was saying how she gave her baby rusks from 6 weeks..and basically made out that the hvwas not right for saying she shouldny do that because its her baby and she needs to learn..she also then said "how can you expect a baby to just have milk for 6 months..i couldnt live off milk for 6 months" i was slightly gobsmacked.. :/

My son has the unsweetened rusks which I mush into a thick porridge-y type mixture. I can understand why people would be apprehensive, but how much sugar do you think your baby is having in all those fruit purees? Sure it's natural sugar but still I was told when I was pregnant to cut down on fruit juice etc. because they were too high in sugar for my system. I think it's all a matter of making a decision you are happy with. My son prefers vegetables anyway, especially broccoli and spinach, so I don't mind if he has sugar from this source every now and then.

Okay I think I figured it out after looking at those ingredients Bev posted (thank you!). To me, those are just Farley's Buscuits, here in Canada (and I'm assuming the States too). Based on the ingredients, these are the comparable product here in Canada/US That one just happens to be banana flavour.. but there's original too.

The actual RICE RUSK that I thought people are talking about is what we feed as a treat, the Baby Mum Mum Rice Rusks, which like I posted before, have virtually nothing in them and are basically air lol.

So to me, a rice rusk is VERY different from the Farley's. Farley's are basically a cookie made with flour, fat etc. whereas the rice rusk is just rice with a tiny bit of sugar and salt and flavouring (if you buy a flavoured one) and have like 15 calories, no fat and minimal amounts of sugar and salt.

:thumbup:

SIL came over the other day and gave Brooke one and said her baby has them for breakfast everyday and has them as a snack. I was secretly horrified. She left a pack and I binned them. Stupid as I love them! The odd one doesn't bother me (she's had 2 in her life) but I won't buy them x

Okay I think I figured it out after looking at those ingredients Bev posted (thank you!). To me, those are just Farley's Buscuits, here in Canada (and I'm assuming the States too). Based on the ingredients, these are the comparable product here in Canada/US That one just happens to be banana flavour.. but there's original too.

The actual RICE RUSK that I thought people are talking about is what we feed as a treat, the Baby Mum Mum Rice Rusks, which like I posted before, have virtually nothing in them and are basically air lol.

So to me, a rice rusk is VERY different from the Farley's. Farley's are basically a cookie made with flour, fat etc. whereas the rice rusk is just rice with a tiny bit of sugar and salt and flavouring (if you buy a flavoured one) and have like 15 calories, no fat and minimal amounts of sugar and salt.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have a box of the Baby Mum Mum banana rice rusks that I occasionally give to LO. I checked the label and was very confused for a minute. They are something like 15 calories and less than a gram of sugar in four of them. I'm in the US, and I've never seen the Heinz kind around here either. I'm guessing the equivalent would be animal crackers. I could be way off though.

Yes that's what they are Farley's. we do get rice risks over here too, the same as you guys a presume where they just crumble to nothing.

I so give risk occasionally. Though even I was shocked when my HV told me (off the record apparently) to mash up half a risk in my babies bottle to thicken it up to help with his reflux :wacko:

My LO has had the sugar free rusks when OH picked some up. Would I buy them myself? No

I prefer to give her a rich tea biscuit as an occasional treat and considering her diet is healthy and varied I don't see anything wrong with the occasional sweet treat :)

will give lo one now n den she loves them

Hi All,
Wow there have been a lot of replies since I posted this question and a lot of strong feeling. Rusks always spark this and its partly why I asked the question in the first place. I had never thought to compare the sugar content of a rusk to standard biscuits/cookies so am shocked that something like a digestive is actually better than a rusk! wow. Looks like if I want to keep my own weight down I should be avoiding them along with my Lo :)

I am very conscious of healthy eating and I make most of daughters meals myself and she has loads of veg and fruit, but some people have argued that fruit is very high in sugar and also contains acid which can rot babies teeth even under the gums??? another debate I suppose. Wont stop me giving LO fruit, all things in moderation I guess.

Im munching a rusk as I type this - doh! well Ive got to get them out of the house havnt I now that LO wont be eating them?? LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->