The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Exhausted from pumping, and lack of time to spend with little one. Please tell me, is it REALLY worth it? Does she really benefit so much from this breast milk? :shrug:

ah, bless you, i felt the same many times - it is so exhausting and i came close to stopping because i thought i wasn't spending enough time with hayden. the truth was, while i pumped he was either asleep, or happy wriggling about on the floor / in his chair right in front of me, and perhaps even benefitted from the time when i could do nothing but talk to him! it does get easier once you really get into the swing of it. i found that once i knew i was producing (more than) enough i relaxed a little, and wasn't so rigid about how often i pumped, which meant it could fit around other things more easily.

as for if it's worth it, i think the problem is you can't see the benefits as such, because you don't know what your baby's health would have been like without it, but there is so much evidence which says that yes, it is worth it.

I agree with Shambaby, it does get easier. I made sure my daughter was sleeping, playing or with daddy. Personally for me it was worth it but everyone has their own opinions to the whole formula vs breast milk debate.

Gosh it's wierd reading this thread again 3 years after I wrote it!
Determined to breast feed this time but if I fail I will express for the first 6 weeks.

Gosh it's wierd reading this thread again 3 years after I wrote it!
Determined to breast feed this time but if I fail I will express for the first 6 weeks.

Thanks for writing it - loads of good help!

Good luck with your elective (I had one 2nd time, great experience) and good luck with bf'ing.

I did it for 8 months with ds1.

If I didn't have another child I would do the same again but it's just too time consuming when you have a toddler to look after, anyway hopefully I will just be breast feeding.

Hi michy,welcome back and thanks for the thread.and congrats for the bump..

I ve been exclusively pumping last 5 weeks and hoping to do at least 6 months.
I have a problem with my pump though.lately it collects the milk but the milk doesnt go to bottle,it stays on the neck part of the thing,when neck fills up it sprays the milk from the air hole on the side of the pump.
I tried it with different membranes and made sure no part is blocked,but it still does it,then it goes normal when it decides to..
It's madela mini electric pump.
Has anyone had the same problem?

Hi michy,welcome back and thanks for the thread.and congrats for the bump..

I ve been exclusively pumping last 5 weeks and hoping to do at least 6 months.
I have a problem with my pump though.lately it collects the milk but the milk doesnt go to bottle,it stays on the neck part of the thing,when neck fills up it sprays the milk from the air hole on the side of the pump.
I tried it with different membranes and made sure no part is blocked,but it still does it,then it goes normal when it decides to..
It's madela mini electric pump.
Has anyone had the same problem?

I've not had this problem but you could try calling medela, they were quite helpful when I called them.

In the interim try leaning forward when you express to help the milk run through the pump holes?

I am exclusively expressing for my Little girl, but I am curious, how do you wean LO (wean the pump?? lol) when you want to be done expressing with out going through horrible engorgement again?

I am exclusively expressing for my Little girl, but I am curious, how do you wean LO (wean the pump?? lol) when you want to be done expressing with out going through horrible engorgement again?

I've not done it yet but you really are best to do it very slowly, drop a pump at a time every few weeks and shorten the amount you pump.

i used a pump on loan from breast start, and i had pretty short notice to give it back. i just cut out a pumping session every few days and also limited the time i would pump for. if you don't empty the breast it sends the signal that you don't need so much any more, so your supply should just gradually reduce. it is probably better to do it over a longer period if you can, but it is possible to do it in just a couple of weeks.

Im currently just finishing weaning. I made sure I had a lot of milk in stock (frozen) and slowly did it over a three month period. I would eliminate a pump unit I just pumped once a day. Ive just recently eliminated the once a day and I am uncomfortable but it is going away. It feels good though knowing I did all that I could for my girl. 18 months of exclusively pumping was hard but totally worth it. Now my next one better breast feed or else LOL

Hi Everyone!

My baby was breastfeeding for 7 weeks and then he suddenly stopped latching. I was in pain and had bleeding nipples from the bad latch and he was always going hungry. Turned out to be Oral thrush :( He had horrible sores and I started pumping to give myself a break - and because he actually fed properly from the bottle. The pediatrician told me not to get him back directly on the breast till we're both clear because I'm taking too long to clear up while he's fine now. So, I got a Medela Swing to tide me over till we're both clear and he can start at the breast again (having regular meetings with BFing Consultant, so not worried about that)

Now, I pumped 3oz with a manual pump from one breast every 2-3 hours. I didn't know you're supposed to do both! I just followed the system I was using when feeding him directly. The BFing consultant was worried I'm not emptying out properly with a manual pump so now I switched to a Medela Swing. Its getting about 4oz per breast per pumping session. I end up with around 10-12 oz per 6 hours so that's alright. But lately, DS's needs are increasing and he's asking for more and more milk per feed and I don't know how to encourage my supply to increase?

Please SPELL it out for me. When and how long. The whole thing is so confusing and I'm terrified of losing my supply.

I have been pretty much exlusivly pumpin for about 7 weeks only put her on the boob while bottles warming.. its painful etc . but i didnt know ur suposed to actualy EMPTY the boob? i have never emptied because i thought it would encourage me to produce more milk as ialredy have to much? also she never emptied my boob when she bf? is a manuel pump not good? its working fine i thought? i get lumpy alot and bad pains when its about time to pump is tht normal? nd lumps..

The lady asked if its worth it it truely is hun. just take one day at a time; i dont spend any extra time on pumpin tht i wouldnt spend bf her..
I have some extra in the freezer. and one bottle in fridge. I always pump one feed a head. ( Feed her. then pump. it takes 10mins to feed her 20 mins to pump.. so alittle bit less than when she usd to feed directly of me. its about getting into a routine n just try and relax. i dont let it stop me from doing things. i take my manuel pump out with me and pump in the car when i need too . you can make it work hun. even if its one day you manage it 2 weeks etc. your doing great.

this is a god send as exclusive expessing isnt something thats spoke about where i am for some reason so thought up until now that i was the only one doing it as though its was little invention of my own id come up with, such a relif to hear theres more of us. i had a terrible experience first time round with my son, resulted in being hospitalised with weight loss at 2 week old due to poor milk supply and attachment difficulties which resulted in 9 weeks of feeding routienes consisting of breast feeding, expressing and topping up with formula at every feed. this time around, my son was born at a birth weight of 6lbs 13 oz on 2nd april and took to breast feeding right away. my first was so drowzy for 2 days due to pethediene getting through to his system in labour so it got of to a difficult start. my newborn has not lost any weight, after a few days his weight was 7lbs 4 oz then a week later 7lbs 15.5oz all while breastfeeding. and today a week later hes 8lbs 14oz

however i found it extremley overwhelming i never seemed to move he was feeding sometimes hourly. my nipples where cracked sore and bleeding, and i was finding the entire thing daunting. i was getting tearful, attachment was excrutiating leading to anxiety at every feed knowing 10 or 12 times a days id be putting myself through this pain, as i was getting anxious to position him right or to rry and avoid pain he was becomming upset and fretful taking about 10 min to latch on and off, so i decided to pump and bottle feed him breast milk where much happier and its working better. ive been doing this for 5 days now after expressing once a day a few days before to freeze a stock up. he feeds around 8 - 9 times in 24 hours and either before or after a feed i express to match his feeds so the boobs still think this is happening and to keep my supply on demand. i xpress around 5 - 7 oz of milk each time for 8 - 9 pumps in 24 hours.

the annoyance at present is the health visitor and breast feeding support people who are trying to get me cornered it feels in to getting him back on the boob. despite the health visitor finding me in floods of tears for an hour last week with the breast feeding and now seeing how happy i am expressing is liasing with breast feeding support to get me back breast feeding again. its as though breast feeding has become compulsary and the two teams are making phonecalls behind my back about me, whats the big deal, im expressing about 8 times a day or more and feeding him my breast milk as is stated to be preffered just so my son and i are more content at feed times and my son and husband etc can help, i exclusivley breast fed for 3 weeks and hes done nothing but gain weight. right now im loving this routiene but the phonecalls and being pressured and pounced up on insisting they visit to get me back on the boob is tiresome and depressing. they tell me this way will cause my milk supply to dip and come to a stop. i ask when this will be expected to happen and today i was told within a few days. is this scare mongering as each day that goes by i express that bit more i express between 2am and 3 am so i have that important express time and on reading this thread many of you have done it for 10 weeks or more.

lets keep up the good pumping ladies:flower:

Bnique, there are women that do this for YEARS with out losing their milk supply! Your HV is lying to you! :( In addition to this thread, I found a really good guide to exclusively pumping here. I'm headed into week 5 of EP and my milk supply has done anything BUT dip. I don't usually empty my breasts all the way actually because I don't want to make too much milk.. I've read on other sites of women who can pump over 100 oz in a day/30oz per sitting! I get 6-8 oz per sitting (I usually stop at 6 1/2), occasionally as much as 10 oz, but I try to keep an eye on the bottles so I don't take quite so much.

this is a god send as exclusive expessing isnt something thats spoke about where i am for some reason so thought up until now that i was the only one doing it as though its was little invention of my own id come up with, such a relif to hear theres more of us. i had a terrible experience first time round with my son, resulted in being hospitalised with weight loss at 2 week old due to poor milk supply and attachment difficulties which resulted in 9 weeks of feeding routienes consisting of breast feeding, expressing and topping up with formula at every feed. this time around, my son was born at a birth weight of 6lbs 13 oz on 2nd april and took to breast feeding right away. my first was so drowzy for 2 days due to pethediene getting through to his system in labour so it got of to a difficult start. my newborn has not lost any weight, after a few days his weight was 7lbs 4 oz then a week later 7lbs 15.5oz all while breastfeeding. and today a week later hes 8lbs 14oz

however i found it extremley overwhelming i never seemed to move he was feeding sometimes hourly. my nipples where cracked sore and bleeding, and i was finding the entire thing daunting. i was getting tearful, attachment was excrutiating leading to anxiety at every feed knowing 10 or 12 times a days id be putting myself through this pain, as i was getting anxious to position him right or to rry and avoid pain he was becomming upset and fretful taking about 10 min to latch on and off, so i decided to pump and bottle feed him breast milk where much happier and its working better. ive been doing this for 5 days now after expressing once a day a few days before to freeze a stock up. he feeds around 8 - 9 times in 24 hours and either before or after a feed i express to match his feeds so the boobs still think this is happening and to keep my supply on demand. i xpress around 5 - 7 oz of milk each time for 8 - 9 pumps in 24 hours.

the annoyance at present is the health visitor and breast feeding support people who are trying to get me cornered it feels in to getting him back on the boob. despite the health visitor finding me in floods of tears for an hour last week with the breast feeding and now seeing how happy i am expressing is liasing with breast feeding support to get me back breast feeding again. its as though breast feeding has become compulsary and the two teams are making phonecalls behind my back about me, whats the big deal, im expressing about 8 times a day or more and feeding him my breast milk as is stated to be preffered just so my son and i are more content at feed times and my son and husband etc can help, i exclusivley breast fed for 3 weeks and hes done nothing but gain weight. right now im loving this routiene but the phonecalls and being pressured and pounced up on insisting they visit to get me back on the boob is tiresome and depressing. they tell me this way will cause my milk supply to dip and come to a stop. i ask when this will be expected to happen and today i was told within a few days. is this scare mongering as each day that goes by i express that bit more i express between 2am and 3 am so i have that important express time and on reading this thread many of you have done it for 10 weeks or more.

lets keep up the good pumping ladies:flower:

Thats horrible! What mean women! I pumped for 18 months without having any supply issues. When Anna needed more I would throw in a extra pump or pump longer.

Bnique I would just flat out say i'm not getting him on the breast, if you're not happy me feeding expressed breast milk you will force me to feed formula instead - that should shut them up. (Empty threat of course - don't actually do it lol!)

My HV hasn't batted an eyelid that i'm doing it though I do get the feeling it's not something she comes across. She was really impressed that i'm donating to the milk bank too as in 12 years she's not had anyone do it. I'm almost at the 6 Month mark now!

thanks ladies in comment to the above i so hope i can be like you and pump away and supply breast milk for as long as possible, i think there forgetting that they where asked to see me to help me with a new position that wouldnt hurt, but due to time ticking away on last shift on a friday they didnt bother and said instead of sending someone would call me monday, to see how id got on over the weekend, so if the breast feeding support would have supported me that friday i may still now be on the boob. i cant understand the issue when its breast milk hes having and its breast milk they recommend. My baba was getting covered not only in breastmilk at feeds but my tears and i just couldnt feed him like that thats not what i wanted feed time to be like, it needs to be enjoyable for both.

thats amazing how much some women express i manage about 5 / 6 oz every 7 or 8 times a day expressing.

Thanks for your comments ladies has made me more determind to stick to what i feel and just ignore them:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->