The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Well i've done my last bottles for the milk bank as ds was 6 months old on Friday and they don't take you past 6 months at Birmingham. I'm now wondering if I can drop to two pumps a day?! At the moment I only pump 3 times a day, before the kids get up in the morning, after the school run around 4pm and before bed and I get at least a litre a day which is plenty for my ds so it would be ok if my supply went down a bit but i'm worried it will dry up completely! I don't know if any long term pumpers read this who have dropped to twice a day who can tell me what effect it had on their supply?

Hello hun i dont know what you consider longtime. I have been eping for almost 5 months. with a manuel pump ,. i somtimes pump twice a day when i cant be bothered but i do notice a little dip if i say only pump twice for 2 days in a row. but what i would do is dont drop your last pump but maybe drop the second pump and see how you go? if you notice even a slight dip just powerpump ( eveyr hour) for a day to bring it back up that works for me but may not work for everyone :hugs:

Hi girls!

I am only 8 weeks pregnant with No2 but would really like to exclusively express this time round. I can't straight breastfeed as I will be studying and working so won't always be around.

Is it really difficult? Does it take a lot of time? Obviously breast milk is best for my baby and I really want to try but if it is difficult and will take up a lot of time I am wondering if I would be best to go formula again?

I won't lie - it's super time consuming! In order to get my supply up, I had to pump 8-10 times per day for 15-20 minutes. I tried not to go more than 2 hours during the day and 4 hours at night without pumping for the first 6 weeks. I now pump 7 times per day, but anything less really messes with my milk production. From what I understand, this schedule is necessary for the first 12 weeks to establish supply.

If I were able to feed LO directly from the breast, I would. At least for her first three months of life. The tough part is that while you're pumping, you can really spend quality time with LO. You can't hold them or wear them. For me, that's hard.

I agree it is tough but i didnt feel like i wasnt spending time with my lo i have been doing it 5 months. i put her between my legs when i am pumping and she watches me or i put her on my bed with me and talk to her and giggle with her.and i pump when shes sleeping etc. when you get used to it and settle into it it fits easier into your routinr. i find it booring mostly but not hard i am just very lazy to pump sometimes. but i for sure feel its the best route x

I'll have to try that!

I'm EP-ing and this is what I do:

6am - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

9am - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

12pm - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

3pm - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

6pm - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

8:30pm - baby gets bath

9pm - pump/simultaneously feed baby with her bottle (4oz)

12am - wake up to pump alone (LO SSTN from 9pm-6am)

3am - wake up to pump alone

I know I don't necessarily "feed on demand" because I feed LO while I pump regardless if she's fussing for a bottle yet or not, but it makes time management a MILLION times easier!! Kills two birds with one stone, yeah?

I have 3 regular sized bottles filled with 4oz in the fridge at all times that I rotate. As soon as she finishes a bottle, I have milk to fill it back up because I pump/feed simultaneously.

I have 2 "snack bottles" that are 1oz in size that I keep in the fridge and rotate too. If she's fussy in between feeds I pop one of these in her mouth. She usually eats 1 or 2 of these a day.

I take 2 Fenugreek capsules 3x per day. I pump about 40-48oz per day. She eats about 25-26oz.

2 months into doing this, my baby is gaining weight perfectly and I have over 1000 oz in the freezer!! I plan to pump for 7-8 months and feed her my frozen stash until she's a year old :D

I know I don't necessarily "feed on demand" because I feed LO while I pump regardless if she's fussing for a bottle yet or not, but it makes time management a MILLION times easier!! Kills two birds with one stone, yeah?

I have 3 regular sized bottles filled with 4oz in the fridge at all times that I rotate. As soon as she finishes a bottle, I have milk to fill it back up because I pump/feed simultaneously.

I have 2 "snack bottles" that are 1oz in size that I keep in the fridge and rotate too. If she's fussy in between feeds I pop one of these in her mouth. She usually eats 1 or 2 of these a day.

I take 2 Fenugreek capsules 3x per day. I pump about 40-48oz per day. She eats about 25-26oz.

2 months into doing this, my baby is gaining weight perfectly and I have over 1000 oz in the freezer!! I plan to pump for 7-8 months and feed her my frozen stash until she's a year old :D

How do you feed her and pump at the same time? I struggle with that!

Wow alaskagreek! I'm aiming for what you're doing. LO is currently 4 days old and taking roughly 2oz of ebm every 3 hours night and day. I'm pumping every 3-4 hours and am currently getting 2-3oz each time from one boob, which takes about 15 mins. I always have the next feed lined up in the fridge with a spare behind it. My mum thinks it can't be done but I will show her! Planning on building up my freezer supply too.

Quick question because you seem sorted- When taking LO out for possibly 2-3 hours I want to take a feed just in case, but am unsure how to go about it. I'm worried about taking a feed out and then her not needing it and having to throw it away because it's been out the fridge for too long! Wasted gold! Should I take a bottle feed in an insulated bag and put it back in the fridge 2-3 hours later (IF it's not touched at all) or take a frozen feed in a freezer bag, which will thaw out while I'm out, and then if it's not needed I can pop it in the fridge and use it next feed time? X

How do you feed her and pump at the same time? I struggle with that!

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishe...425692&sr=8-1&keywords=hands+free+pumping+bra

Only the best thing EVER :D

I plop LO in her boppy next to me on the couch and can feed her with one hand and cruise the Internet with the other, change the channel on the tv, or whatever ;)

Wow alaskagreek! I'm aiming for what you're doing. LO is currently 4 days old and taking roughly 2oz of ebm every 3 hours night and day. I'm pumping every 3-4 hours and am currently getting 2-3oz each time from one boob, which takes about 15 mins. I always have the next feed lined up in the fridge with a spare behind it. My mum thinks it can't be done but I will show her! Planning on building up my freezer supply too.

Quick question because you seem sorted- When taking LO out for possibly 2-3 hours I want to take a feed just in case, but am unsure how to go about it. I'm worried about taking a feed out and then her not needing it and having to throw it away because it's been out the fridge for too long! Wasted gold! Should I take a bottle feed in an insulated bag and put it back in the fridge 2-3 hours later (IF it's not touched at all) or take a frozen feed in a freezer bag, which will thaw out while I'm out, and then if it's not needed I can pop it in the fridge and use it next feed time? X

Since breastmilk is good for 5-6 hours in room temperature, I'd say just pull a bottle from the fridge and take it along with you. If he doesn't eat it while you are out, give it to him during the next feed at home. No need to put back in the fridge even since it's good for so many hours - surely he will eat within the next 5-6 hours, right? ;)

Thankyou! Big help, you have restored my faith in the ability to exclusively express long term. Nothing like being organised :) xx

Buy a fridge to go bg - its amazing last 8 hours if you dont use it you put the milk straight back int he fridge take a flask and container to warm it x

Thankyou! Big help, you have restored my faith in the ability to exclusively express long term. Nothing like being organised :) xx

It is very possible i have been doing it for almost 5 months with a manuel pump. What I do is ( because i tend to go out all dayyy once im out i stay out lol) I have 2 bottles of milk in my insulated bag ( 1 pumped fresh one warmed from the fridge) I give her the one that has been warmed first as that doesnt last as long as the fresh. and i take 2 cold 9 ounce bottles in my fridgeto go bag which lasts 8 hours that can go back in the fridge if she doesnt finish it. SHE NEVER finishes all that milk but love to be prepeared as my daughter can suddenly have a growth spurt lol or suddenly eat loads.this works great. Also i take a pump and some bottles out with me ( as i only use a manuel pump i have 3 one for the house one i use when out one i i use when im at my mums i always carry a flask and a container to warm the milk xx

Just wanted to say well done! This was the schedule I keep till about 3 months and I know it's really hard work. Keep going though because it is so much easier when you are able to drop pumps and keep supply. Well done x

Omg, I'd love to be able to pump over 40oz per day!!

So my baby and I have to see the pediatrician which involves taking an airplane to the mainland (I live in the middle of nowhere) and back. I'm REALLY stressing about this trip because this is how it's gonna go:

-Flight leaves home at 8am, arrives to mainland at 9am
-Appointment at 10:30am
-Flight leaves at 3pm, arrive back home at 4pm

I am stressing about pumping in the airport bathroom and trying to feed my baby and toting all of our luggage (Boppy, carseat, diaper bag, breast pump), followed by cleaning all my breast pump parts, trying to catch the taxi to my appointment, pumping at the doctors, rushing back to the airport, pumping at the airport again, and catching my plane. I have to do this all with baby in my care too :'(

I wish my flights and appointment were more spaced out so I could have ample time to go through security and pump before I have to catch a taxi and all that other stuff, but my insurance company arranged everything for me and the flight times are pretty limited because there are only so many to my island every day...maybe I'm making a bigger deal about the whole thing than it is? I'm anticipating the trip being more traumatic for me than labor! And no one can go with me because the appointment is on a Tuesday when all my family and friends are at work, and for them to purchase a ticket would be roughly $800...for a one-day trip :-/

Wish I could just stick my baby to my breast rather than haul the whole kaboodle up with me!

So my baby and I have to see the pediatrician which involves taking an airplane to the mainland (I live in the middle of nowhere) and back. I'm REALLY stressing about this trip because this is how it's gonna go:

-Flight leaves home at 8am, arrives to mainland at 9am
-Appointment at 10:30am
-Flight leaves at 3pm, arrive back home at 4pm

I am stressing about pumping in the airport bathroom and trying to feed my baby and toting all of our luggage (Boppy, carseat, diaper bag, breast pump), followed by cleaning all my breast pump parts, trying to catch the taxi to my appointment, pumping at the doctors, rushing back to the airport, pumping at the airport again, and catching my plane. I have to do this all with baby in my care too :'(

I wish my flights and appointment were more spaced out so I could have ample time to go through security and pump before I have to catch a taxi and all that other stuff, but my insurance company arranged everything for me and the flight times are pretty limited because there are only so many to my island every day...maybe I'm making a bigger deal about the whole thing than it is? I'm anticipating the trip being more traumatic for me than labor! And no one can go with me because the appointment is on a Tuesday when all my family and friends are at work, and for them to purchase a ticket would be roughly $800...for a one-day trip :-/

Wish I could just stick my baby to my breast rather than haul the whole kaboodle up with me!

That sounds so stressful! I know how you feel... I feel like I'm always pumping in inconvenient places!

Do you think the airport might have a nursing room that you could utilize? I am no stranger to pumping in the bathroom, but not with my baby. I'm sure that would be tough, but not impossible!

Also, I wouldn't stress too much if you have to deviate a bit from your schedule or even miss a pump. I used to be so rigid with my schedule, but I found missing a pump or delaying it once in awhile doesn't affect my supply in any way. It would be different if you were just a few weeks into it, but you're pretty well established.

Best of luck :)

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean about being obsessive with my schedule. I might need to ease up on it that day. I'm afraid about massive engorgement if I go too long though. I make 6-7 ounces every 3 hours :S I'm a friggin' cow!

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean about being obsessive with my schedule. I might need to ease up on it that day. I'm afraid about massive engorgement if I go too long though. I make 6-7 ounces every 3 hours :S I'm a friggin' cow!

Wow, that's impressive! I've found that when I know I'll need to go a bit longer than usual between pumps, a tight sports bra really helps with engorgement :thumbup:

Who on here is exclusively pumping and has weaned their baby? I've still got a few months, but I'm curious about what sort of feeding schedule they have and how many ounces of breast milk their baby takes, how frequently, etc. since introducing purees and solids.

I've started weaning. LO takes 5oz of puréed food and still same amount of milk (22-25oz). Although now he's ramping up with a growth spurt and screams for food every 2 1/2 hrs vs the usual 3-4.

Next week we are doing 2 5oz baby foods. When I give the baby food I don't give a full 5oz bottle as that makes him projectile vomit. His eyes are bigger than his tummy. I give 3 oz after his baby food and wait an hour then give 2oz if he's awake.

Hi there, hoping you lovely ladies can help me.....

When my expressed milk seperates there is only about 2 - 3mm of hindmilk residue on top in a 120ml pot... is this ok? Or is that too much hindmilk? Or it there foremilk still hiding in there?

Thanks xxx

Who on here is exclusively pumping and has weaned their baby? I've still got a few months, but I'm curious about what sort of feeding schedule they have and how many ounces of breast milk their baby takes, how frequently, etc. since introducing purees and solids.

I pumped exclusively since LO was in the NICU for a month. I pumped a max of 30 oz a day in 5 pumps a day. I did this till 6 months, then once she started solids, slowly started dropping pumps. I dropped to 4,3 and 2 ppd over the next 4 months. At 8 months, I was getting about 18 oz or so in 3 ppd. LO drinks around 20 - 24 oz a day, which meant i could give 3 bottles of BM and one bottle of formula.

I finally weaned off completely last week, when LO completed 10 months. As sad as it was weaning, I am loving all the extra free time, and the ability to use two hands to type :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->