The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Faythe, I'm in the same situation as you. My supply has just gone up and up. I used to use the smaller Medela bottles (5oz/150ml), but I was gradually filling them up and then they started overflowing! Then I purchased two of the bigger Medela bottles (8oz/250ml) and they're so much better. The only problem is that I can't have my little boy in my lap because the bigger bottles get in the way.

I've been pumping a bit less the last few days. I seem to be averaging about 440ml a session. I know this sounds so stupid but I'm terrified of losing my good supply by dropping pumps or spacing them too far apart.

Alaska, yessss! I often think I look like an Austin Powers fembot when I've got the funnels sticking through my bra. :haha:

I might have to get the bigger bottles as I have to stop, empty them and then start again :haha:

In a way it's good to have an oversupply as I know Jacob will never go without but it's so painfull if you miss a session or don't pump at the right time. Queue forcefull letdown making you feel like your sides are splitting.

I am so jealous! That said LO has just breastfed for the first time in a week and come off satisfied so perhaps my pump just isnt emptying me!

Had a very tough time last night.

I noticed around 4pm that my right breast was feeling hard and lumpy right across the top. I was very uncomfortable. I've had a blocked duct before, but nothing like this. I phoned a medical hotline after a few hours of massaging and hot showers and they said I should see a doctor asap or I should phone the Australian Breastfeeding Assn hotline. I did the latter. She wanted to know why I wasn't breastfeeding and told me that the best thing for my blockage would be to have my baby feed at my breast because babies are supposedly more efficient at draining the breast than pumps are. Then she said "But you can't do that". Yeah, that made me feel fantastic about myself. She then spent the next 15 minutes giving me advice on how to reduce my oversupply (instead of helping me with the main issue at hand) and told me that the 70 litres I currently have frozen won't be of any use to him in a few months because breastmilk changes as the baby gets older to suit their needs. Sure that's very likely true, but I really didn't need to hear that. I got off the phone in tears. I was still rock hard and lumpy (so lumpy you could see it through the skin) so I went back to the pump and draped a hot wheat bag across my breast and pumped. That did the trick. I wish I had never phoned the ABA. She made me feel like I hadn't tried hard enough to get my son to latch. She even ended our phonecall by asking me if I'd like to go along to my local ABA breastfeeding meeting. Uhhh no.

I'm feeling much better in my boobies now. The right one is back to normal again. I was noticing that it was having a lower output than the left yesterday but now it's all good again. Phew!

Regarding dropping pumps, how long to do you have to space it between dropping a pump or increasing the intervals between them? A week? A month? Ideally I'd like to get down to 4 a day or something like that. I've dropped down to 6, so how long before I can give 5 a go?

I'd give it a few weeks to be on the safe side. I had 70oz stored and it let me mix half formula half bm for two weeks when I was weaning her off it. (she is lactose intolerant) tell her to stick it, booby milk is good any day!! Just because it doesn't match exactly their age doesn't make it useless! Its like drinking out of a juice box when you're thirty. A little weird, but still tastes awesome. you're doing great hg!!! I love you two! Keep pumping, stupid phone chick. I would have kept going but my booby milk was making her sick. I feel better knowing she's happy now. I hate how many people assume I just gave up. I worked my ass off and got her to latch, too!! It's easier when they're bigger!! Bigger mouths and stronger suck. She was just too tiny before.

Oh my. I would have told her to go fornicate with a rusty crowbar. No one should ever assume we've not tried feeding directly. I mean heck, that would make our lives so much easier but clearly it doesn't work for us and our LO's. Jacob chokes because of the letdown and sadly it doesn't let up at all. Stays like that until the breast is drained. Maybe when he's older he'll be OK with it but right now it's too much and I'd rather my baby got fed!

Hugs to us all :hugs:

I have exclusively pumping for almost 3 months and 2 weeks. I am really getting tired of it and want to stop all the time..any help or words of encouragement from those who have done it for a long time? I do give her a bottle of formula a day but just because I can't keep up with her feeding and yes I take fenugreek

Hit Girl, your frozen milk is still legitimate stuff! The immunities your milk may have produced may be a bit outdated (for example, you could have been making immunities in your milk for a cold that was going around in September so therefore giving your baby that frozen milk from September at a later date won't do much for fighting off that cold since it's long gone from your environment), but it's still good stuff!!

Hey ladies...

I've been exclusively pumping for my twins since birth 4 months ago. They were preemies, so their little mouths didn't latch on. Over the last week or do, I've been able to nurse them a couple of feedings a day (then pump afterwards to empty).

At week 10, my period returned. I looked for it at week 14, but nothing. Then again at weeks 15 and 16. Nothing!

I started the mini-pull at week 9, so thought that had something to do with the return of my period.

I'm beginning to get a little nervous about being preggo again. Is it normal for period to come and then not again? Or be irregular? I know I can and should just buy a test, but wondering what your experiences were too.

Thanks!

The mini pill can affect your periods, some women get them but spaced out, sometimes women don't get a period at all on it.

I accidentally gave my baby off EBM yesterday. I phoned the nhs helpline for advice, and they said maybe I would be better off feeding her directly.

Oh, right, I hadn't thought of that!

Menb- I am in the same situation with period . I had one in October and September and nothing this month . I did a test double check as I'm not on the pill but I was ok. Maybe pumping still affects periods as until we stop they will be all over the place.

I'm slowing down with pumping now. I know it's only been 6montgs but I have to get my diabetes right now. I'm still pumping 4x a day with a early morning bf to. I'm using up freezer stuff in day so over the winter months she has fresh to give antibodies . In back at work January so plan on Hopefuly bf morning before I go then pump . Then pump when I get back. I think I will go down to 3 then and Hopefuly I will get enough to last a few more months zx

I have a tommee tippee manual pump, if I pump straight into the bottle can I store it with the teat and lid on in the fridge or do I need the special lids? Thanks

I have a tommee tippee manual pump, if I pump straight into the bottle can I store it with the teat and lid on in the fridge or do I need the special lids? Thanks

With the teat and lid is fine!

Just looking for some support. I have been exclusively pumping since little guy was a week old. He was a big baby and never seemed to be able to latch and nurse enough to maintain his weight. At a week old I started supplementing his feeds with a bottle and that was the end of BFing for him :( DH thinks I am crazy to keep pumping, but I just want the best for him! I am considering starting formula in December when he is 3 months old (and I have a week off of work to allow my milk to dry up). How long has everyone else been able to pump exclusively?

Just looking for some support. I have been exclusively pumping since little guy was a week old. He was a big baby and never seemed to be able to latch and nurse enough to maintain his weight. At a week old I started supplementing his feeds with a bottle and that was the end of BFing for him :( DH thinks I am crazy to keep pumping, but I just want the best for him! I am considering starting formula in December when he is 3 q old (and I have a week off of work to allow my milk to dry up). How long has everyone else been able to pump exclusively?

I have been pumping for a similar time to you. I also will stop at the end of the year, as I am going back to work.

Pumping is hard work, but I agree worth it.

Does anyone who has been doing this longer have advice on dropping a night pump? My LO has dropped a feed but I still get up to pump as it gets really painful. I am trying to stretch the pumps at night out slowly, but wondered if anyone had any advice on other things to do. X x

I think it's time I reach out for some support. It's lovely to see some ladies here that I actually went through my pregnancy with :)

This is going to be long, but I really need to get it all out.

Kaida was born on October 28th. A very very healthy 8lb 10 oz. From her first baby-led latch we knew something was wrong. Within 4 "feeds" she had mangled my right nipple and wouldn't/couldn't even touch my left as it is flat. Midwives kept trying to push her onto my breast. She would cry. I would cry. It was a mess.
A day and a half into her life I requested to see the LC and immediately asked her if my baby has a tongue tie as I have one and cannot poke my tongue out very far.
She looked into her mouth and basically handed the baby back saying "you can't breastfeed that baby with a tongue tie like that" and left, because "it was no use" trying to attach her. I was devastated beyond words - breastfeeding is something I literally dreamed about during my pregnancy. I knew it wouldn't be an easy journey but I never thought I would be told it would not happen. I spent the next 2 days expressing into a syringe and so begun my expressing journey.
The next day, we were discharged (much to my dismay, my husband was sick in hospital, but that's another story) and immediately went to the doctor they recommended to "deal" with her tongue tie. He looked into her mouth and told me her tongue had been anchored in her mouth during development and she cannot physically use it. She couldn't lift it, poke it out let alone curl it (which as you would all know, is required to BF).
He cut her anterior tie and handed her back, saying things would be fine by the next day.

They weren't.

We consulted an LC at the hospital. Again, she was handed back saying she can't latch. She called other LCs into the room to "check out" this tongue tie as it was the worst she'd ever seen (and yes, it'd already been cut once). Her tongue "doesn't work" and we started doing exercises. Meanwhile, I started pumping and resorted to the bottle as she had a VERY healthy appetite and ate in huge volumes (happily I have the supply currently). Also - he didn't cut the tie properly. She also had a posterior tie meaning she still couldn't poke her tongue out.
We went back to the doctor the following day. He wasn't pleased to see us. I asked the risks of the procedure and we were told "a little bleeding" and he cut the posterior tie. Once he came back in the room he told us "there's nothing else I can do, it's bad - here's a referral" and we've been referred to a surgeon. She can't have general anaesthetic and the full reconstructive surgery until 6 months old.
The following 2 days were hell. Kaida's tongue was swollen. She cried in pain. She puked. She could barely latch to the bottle. I was furious and devastated that I had agreed to get this done to my baby.

Yet we continued. We continued exercises. We continued pumping. We continued to see the LC.

I'm going to cut this short as so much still happened in the last 3 weeks but the overall result is - she is 3 week 2 days and I'm still expressing every 2-3 hours. I thought things would be fine after the first week as this is what everyone indicated. It's not. I cry every single day. I want to run away. I'm so sad all the time.

We feed her using the Medela calma teat hoping it will exercise her tongue and simulate the breast (rather than a bottle "dribbling" it into her mouth). Her tongue has improved immeasurably. She can poke it out and move it around.

Yet she still has trouble latching. She doesn't cry so much anymore but she tries to latch, sucks a couple of times and passes out. Or pushes my nipple out. Or simply doesn't latch properly and I can pull out my nipple. But the bottle - OMG does this child eat?!!? 100-150mL per feed. Thankfully I can keep up. She's gained LOTS of weight and is in the 97th percentile for weight and length. So no issues there.

I'm here reaching out for help because I'm at the end of my tether and I've had some awful thoughts. I want to give up so badly but I want to BF more than anything.

I need hope. Can I get her onto the breast? Are there others out there in a similar boat? I am sick of being alone. I am so sick of being in limbo - am I a breastfeeding mother? No. Am I a bottle-feeding mother? Well, yes, but most people interpret that as formula feeding. So I fit no where. I have to explain my life story to everyone who asks (only where it matters e.g. nurses etc.). I get looks when we're out and whip out the bottle. And this pump - I calculated yesterday I have been pumping for over 26 straight hours since I started. I've pumped over 26L of milk. I just want my baby girl on my breast. I hate this f*ing pump. It makes me angry and depressed every time I have to hook myself up like a cow. I am on a worse schedule than BF'ing because pumping isn't as efficient as the baby sucking and thus if I don't pump enough I'll lose my supply and then I've failed at everything.

Help me. Please. I'm struggling to go on. And not just with pumping...

Hi honey

First off huge hugs :hugs:

My LO doesn't have a TT but has been bottle fed BM for over 6 weeks as I was re-admitted to hospital shortly after having him. I was quite unwell and unable to look after him whilst in there, let alone feed him. So I used the pump at the hospital and started pumping for him, and my OH would come in with LO to see me, collect the milk and feed him.

He's been on the bottle since. I've been trying to get him back to breast and it does take time. He managed to nurse for an hour the other day. We do still struggle getting him to latch on and do the motions but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I know my circumstances are different but I can relate. Feel tethered to my house and pump. Also feel I 'rush' time with LO so I can pump when needed. It's like feed, change bum, pump, play and then repeat. Things would be easier without having to pump, I know. It is tough but you are an AMAZING Mummy. You're doing so well for your LO, esp as EP'ing is such hard work :hugs:

Keep going, you can do it

xxx

ETA - PM me if you want to talk :hugs:

Faythe - thank you.

Just knowing I'm not alone helps more than you realise.

I wrote my above blurb while power pumping lol. I've been naughty due to a follow-up appointment for Kaida which went WAY longer than anticipated and missed a couple of pumping sessions today so I had to restimulate my boobies. 10 mins off and on for an hour. My poor nips! Hopefully that'll maintain my supply.

Yay for an hour latch! We'll keep working at this too. Got a private LC coming to the house tomorrow (who said BF'ing was cheap?!?!). I'm hoping with her showing me how to do things at home, rather than in the hospital or at her place, that it might help a bit more with a routine/plan.

I'll be back a bit later to reply as my LO is being a pickle. Keep smiling :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->