The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

I found Lara's latch got better the older she got, I finally got her to latch around 6 weeks. You may want to look into pnd, be aware they may tell you to quit EPing. You don't need to. You haven't failed, your LO loves you no matter what is in its tummy :)

I have both hands free for 5 minutes now whilst LO sleeps.

You are doing brilliantly. Infact all us EP'ing girls are. I won't lie - I find it hard. Really hard. Some days I get upset because LO won't let me put him down for 5 minutes so I can pump, and I end up missing that timeframe, which in turn leads to me getting sore. Days like that I cry and cry. I get frustrated with myself over it and then start beating myself up by thinking things like 'I am useless' and 'I can't even feed my own son, I am a failure'. But then my OH reminds me that I'm not because no matter how hard some days are, I still continue to EP so that my LO has the very best he can.

Like you I had my heart set on BF'ing from the day I found out we were expecting. And when it all went pear shaped it broke my heart.

You're doing the next best thing for your LO and that's why you are amazing. It's OK to feel upset some days but don't let it consume you. Talk about it, share your thoughts and don't bottle it up.

Us girls here all understand and are always about.

:hugs:

Big hugs to you Emerald! I think I remember you from an October thread.

The way I look at it, is most women can breastfeed, but it takes a special kind of Mom to put in the time and tears to exclusively pump. Most women would have given up by now, but you have stuck to it, so you can take pride in that!

I didn't BF my first son, I was yound and in college and was just struggling to keep up with work/school/Mom duties. But after my MC last year, I just wanted to be super Mom. Vaginal birth, BF all of it. But my little guy was a big baby and breech so my vaginal birth went out the window. It made me want BFing to work out even more. So when he failed to gain weight nursing, I had to make a decision. Which was more important to me, BFing or helping my son be as healthy as he can be. Of course I chose my son, which lead me to introduce supplement bottle feedings and ended his desire to nurse. I was devestated and cried for days about it, but at the end of the day I have a happy healthy little boy and that is what is really important.

Keep at it :) It will get easier. Try to get daddy involved as much as you can. I have my DH do some of the overnight bottle feedings so all I have to do is focus on pumping and getting rest. It really helps.

Emerald you are NOT alone in this!!!

I have my little koala asleep on my shoulder right now but I'll write a proper response during my next pump in an hour. I can't type quickly on my phone. :)

Emerald, I am so happy you found this group of lovely ladies here. As you said, knowing you're not alone helps a lot. I know that was the case with me too.

When it comes to little ones who aren't latching (whether there's a reason or not) we need to ask ourselves, who are we trying to breastfeed for? This was the question I asked myself about a month ago and I realised that I was trying to get my little guy to latch because of all the pressure being put on me by LCs and BFing (I'll try not to say nazis) 'advocates' - especially those ones who write all those scary articles that we've all seen lurking on the internet. I realised that I was okay with pumping - a hell of a lot happier doing this than trying to get him to latch. And of course, he's much happier with the bottle. You know why? Because he can drink my breastmilk easily, fill himself up and grow up big and strong. He can't do this on the boob - just like lots of other babies out there.
If there were no such thing as feeding from the breast and everyone bottle fed and you noticed that your little one didn't like the brand of bottles you have (couldn't suck from them etc) but they fed really well from another brand of bottle, you wouldn't keep pushing the first one on them, would you? You'd stick with the second one, because at the end of the day you are providing your baby with nourishment - that's the whole point of it all.
Yes, it's hard doing this, but I believe that it gets A LOT better once you remove that pressure. I remember I was pumping and I thought to myself, "I really should do the right thing and get him to learn how to breastfeed. It's the right thing to do. I should be able to do this. He should be able to do this." Keep in mind, I was happily pumping before this but then I looked at some of those BF websites and got the guilts. So I let him rest on my chest and find his way. When he got there he was crying from frustration, I ended up in tears too. I realised just how much this was upsetting both of us, whereas mere moments earlier he was blissfully feeding from a bottle and before that I was expressing happily (until I read those silly articles online). I wasn't trying to feed him from my breast for him or myself... it was because other people made me feel like I should keep on trying.
Why do these people place so much emphasis on the method of delivery as opposed to whether the food is being delivered or not? It makes zero sense to me. I'm lucky enough to have a very close friend who's a doctor and her dad's a pediatrician and her mum is a pediatric nurse - they all think it's insane how women beat themselves up about these things. They keep me in line when I feel bad about myself (which isn't very often these days). They absolutely HATE the pressure that Breastfeeding Associations put on people. In fact, her dad shudders at the thought of them (and the vast majority of LCs) and calls them a bunch of extremists who throw out 'information' and 'statistics' with no real scientific or medical basis. Don't get him started on women being made to feel bad about formula! :D

We're all doing so well. Our babies deserve parents who are happy, who love them, feed them and protect them. If something doesn't feel right or it isn't working, don't do it. As long as you're ticking all those boxes, that's what matters.

As for whether we're BFing or not, isn't this thread within the BF section? Not that it even matters anyway. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't bond with your child if they don't feed at the breast. That is the biggest stinking pile of bollocks ever!!! You should see the way my little guy follows me around the room when someone else is holding him.

Look, there are many ways you can feed your child. They are all perfectly healthy options. Breastfeeding is not easy for everyone. It does not just happen for everyone. If it did, then why are there so many LCs knocking about, sucking our wallets dry?

Yay for us! :)

Thanks ladies. Really. You've saved my sanity.

Hit Girl, you're right. It's the enormous pressure placed on us. For me, the pressure is placed on me *by* me mostly. Thing is, though, that if I were to stop trying to pursue breastfeeding I'd probably stop pumping. I don't know why. I feel that pumping is only a means to an end and I can't get it straight in my head - But it seems that I'm all or nothing even though that's stupid and supplying my BM is the best thing I can do. My husband can't make heads nor tails of it either and he's always asking why I can't just pump. I just don't think I could. I'm constantly scared of my supply dropping (yet it's increasing when I'm EPing), the pump sucks (bad pun?), my nips hurt, the schedule kills me, reading stories online indicates it's not sustainable and just to add to the fun I had nipple thrush last week and a blocked duct, possibly progressing to mastitis, this week. If I were to get these things due to BF'ing (which is obviously very possible) I'd feel like it's "worth it". I know. I make little sense. My milk is what matters. I'm a crazy person.

I got an LC to come to my house today and she was lovely (and yes, sucking my wallet dry lol). Kaida latched for her (of course! Babies make liars out of us) but still won't take a full feed - she falls to sleep or simply noms rather than sucks. I've latched her several times today but each time she falls asleep and I have to supplement with a FULL bottle of EBM afterwards showing she's not getting anything. The delay with giving her the breast and then feeding means my pumping sessions got interrupted today and I'm down at least 150mL from my previous few days. I've given up tonight. She's having EBM and I'm pumping. We'll start again in the morning :-/

For those who are trying to get baby back to the breast, what are you doing about maintaining your supply? Seeing this has freaked me out that if I try to get her back on, my supply is going to die quickly. Like I said previously, she's a HUGE eater so I can't really risk dropping my supply - plus I think she's coming into her 3-4 week growth spurt (she drunk 160mL just then!!). And if she doesn't drain my breast we both lose.

Argh! Having a baby is too complicated! This sucks. lol.

Oh god yes. I know all about that 'supply-dropping fear'. Like you, mine just kept going up and up. (I'm currently producing over 3 litres a day in 6 pumping sessions.) I think it's really important that you keep up the pumping in these early weeks. Let me tell you, it IS completely sustainable. The frequent pumping schedule really does suck (hee hee) but it will get easier and your hard work in the beginning will pay off. Contrary to what you've probably read, you don't need to be concerned about your little girl taking EBM in a bottle for now and not getting her on the breast later on. Some bubs get the hang of it after a few weeks or months. In the meantime though, I would do everything you can to encourage and maintain your good supply - even though it's a royal pain in the ass. I don't know if this helps but I have a big bowl of natural rolled oats (not instant) every morning. They're supposed to be great for supply.

Stop reading those silly stories online! I can't tell you how much they discouraged me in the beginning. :hugs:

Lara latched after six weeks of pumping, they're so sleepy as newborns, my best friend had that problem. But they get stronger and more awake as time goes!! And those stories are bullshit! Pardon the language but you have a full thread of long term ep'ers here girl :) I set small goals. First was to make it to two weeks, then a month, then 6 weeks, etc. and you won't need to pump every three hours forever! In like a month or two you can start dropping a session. We can help you with that too. I quit because Lara was allergic to my milk and screamed for 10+ hours a day, she's muuuuuch better now. But I would have kept going, especially when we started making real progress with latching. The LC came to my house once a week (free here).

Hi ladies, I haven't been in this thread for a while. I'm sorry there is a few of you struggling with the awful pumping schedules and the grief of bf'ing not working out.

My little girl will be 13 months next week and I've been exclusively expressing since she was about 12 weeks, up till then I was bf'ing then topping up with ebm and pumping but slowly she started to refuse the boob, nipple confusion I think.

It's such hard work but please do not let anyone tell you a bm supply cannot be maintained by expressing alone, it absolutely can be done. My little girl has had formula less than 10 times in her life.

Alex's advice is great, I could never have imagined getting this far along, I just set very small goals, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 etc then when I got to 6 months it was easier and now it's just twice a day and really easy!

It was so hard in the early days and I still feel a lot if sadness about not achieving breastfeeding but I've got to the point that I realise what an achievement being a EPer is, we all have lots to be proud of!

If I can help at all let me know.

Oh also Emerald, I never got there with getting back to breast but to maintain your supply you should really express after every feed just until baby is taking full feeds, this will help keep your supply up x

Oh my goodness, I could almost cry at finding this thread!!!

My first baby, Summer, was born 10 days ago at 36w4d. She had low blood sugar and no energy to BF so she got gavaged (tube fed) donor breast milk and my own hand expressed colostrum for the first few days. I worked tirelessly in the hospital with the pump to get my milk in, and she is now home, and only gets my pumped milk through a bottle. Giving bottles has allowed her to gain weight, me to sleep (hubby can help!) and we aren't spending her precious energy on making her BF (it wears her out and she doesn't get enough...and then is too tired for rest of the bottle feeding).
She is a veeeery sleepy girl, who until yesterday, we were having to wake and force feed every 2 hours. She has finally gained enough that we were allowed to go to every three hours, which is wonderful because she has more energy to take her feeds quicker (used to be an hour or more, now 20-30 mins).
What bothers me is all the pressure from the LC and some friends to get her back to breast. I don't see how it's best for her! She and I both get frustrated, she doesn't like my nipples (they aren't very pointy) and she works so hard for 1/3 the reward! Plus it's just another 10-20 mins before each feeding (and pumping!) that is zapping both of our energy. I had another follow-up with the LC today and she even saw how uninterested Summer is in the breast, but still wants me to try all the time and I just don't get it! I'm sure EBFing is wonderful...when it works...but I dont see how it's that much better than giving her expressed milk??
With a case of the baby blues and being a FTM...it's just more stress than I need without obvious reward (is 'bonding' the only difference?)

Ugh...I obviously needed that rant. I hate feeling as though I'm 'giving up,' but I feel I'm the only rational one???

Oh my goodness, I could almost cry at finding this thread!!!

My first baby, Summer, was born 10 days ago at 36w4d. She had low blood sugar and no energy to BF so she got gavaged (tube fed) donor breast milk and my own hand expressed colostrum for the first few days. I worked tirelessly in the hospital with the pump to get my milk in, and she is now home, and only gets my pumped milk through a bottle. Giving bottles has allowed her to gain weight, me to sleep (hubby can help!) and we aren't spending her precious energy on making her BF (it wears her out and she doesn't get enough...and then is too tired for rest of the bottle feeding).
She is a veeeery sleepy girl, who until yesterday, we were having to wake and force feed every 2 hours. She has finally gained enough that we were allowed to go to every three hours, which is wonderful because she has more energy to take her feeds quicker (used to be an hour or more, now 20-30 mins).
What bothers me is all the pressure from the LC and some friends to get her back to breast. I don't see how it's best for her! She and I both get frustrated, she doesn't like my nipples (they aren't very pointy) and she works so hard for 1/3 the reward! Plus it's just another 10-20 mins before each feeding (and pumping!) that is zapping both of our energy. I had another follow-up with the LC today and she even saw how uninterested Summer is in the breast, but still wants me to try all the time and I just don't get it! I'm sure EBFing is wonderful...when it works...but I dont see how it's that much better than giving her expressed milk??
With a case of the baby blues and being a FTM...it's just more stress than I need without obvious reward (is 'bonding' the only difference?)

Ugh...I obviously needed that rant. I hate feeling as though I'm 'giving up,' but I feel I'm the only rational one???

Plenty of mums here will argue with the bonding idea and I'll be one of them. I'm transitioning to breast but find the bonding no different. You aren't losing that. Look how hard you're working for her! Obviously bonding is no issue.
One thing I've personally noticed is my LO is much more relaxed on the breast. Looking past the agonising pain I do actually enjoy her on the breast and feel close but this varies individually. Don't feel pressured.

I've spent hours of my time trying to find exactly the advantages of direct breast compared to EBM and heaps of places claim advantages but I've yet to find one that actually lists them.

Congratulations on your new baby and on the brilliant effort you're putting in. It's hard but oh so worth it. The ladies here are fantastic so come to rant whenever xxx

Ohhh and you're FAR from giving up so don't feel that way. Pumping is harder than EBF. Also don't think you're stuck choosing one!! You can always try BF later.

GenY- I only nursed my first son once in the hospital and he was formula fed after that. I was only able to breastfeed our new baby for a week (he is 8 weeks old now) and I now pump exclusively for him. To me there is not much difference I can tell in little guy besides he is able to get fuller easier, so in a sense is happier. The real difference is for me. I did enjoy the feeling of him nursing (when he wasn't chomping my nipples :)) but I will give that up to be able to have a happy healthy baby that is gaining weight. He was a big eater even as a newborn, I had a c-section and the baby had low blood sugar so my DH got to feed him a bottle while I was being closed up and he gulped it down right away :) When I started pumping he would suck down 3oz every 2 hrs at a week old. I just couldn't get him to eat enough directly from the breast. He would work so hard he would fall asleep and wasn't latching well. I guess my point is that as a Mom we do what is best for our baby, period. That is not always breast feeding.

Does anyone here freeze breastmilk in bottles ready? I have tommee tippee ones.
Also I have some tommee tippee milk powder dispensers, anyone freeze milk in these?
Thanks, x

Does anyone here freeze breastmilk in bottles ready? I have tommee tippee ones.
Also I have some tommee tippee milk powder dispensers, anyone freeze milk in these?
Thanks, x

I don't freeze in bottles because it takes longer for the milk to defrost

Do any of you feel like you are constantly having to explain yourself or defend your decision??? At both my son's one month and two month Dr. appt, I was of course asked if we were bottle or breast feeding, which I then have to explain that he gets breast milk from a bottle. His Dr. actually asked why I was only pumping and not breast feeding... uh duh, he won't breast feed! He basically implied I should just start formula feeding, but ended up saying whatever works for us. So frustrating! Besides his pediatrician, my husband wants me to stop pumping and my Mom this breastfeeding in general is weird (she grew up in a period where NO ONE breastfed) so she things pumping is beyond weird. Why can't anyone just recognize that I am doing the best Ican for my son and be happy with that????

Totally with you there. I always feel like I'm in the "undefined" camp and have to justify it to everyone - health care professionals, family, friends, COMPLETE F-ING STRANGERS. And then when you end up telling them you're expressing they don't wanna know anything about it??? I know from a few family members they just look at me like "ew... why would you do that"?

And then the strangers - "Oh... you're formula feeding..." (as I sit there with her bottle) and, of course, being judged I have to justify "It's breastmilk". Then comes the barrage of additional questions such as "why not just put her on the breast?", "oh, you don't like to nurse?", "Why would you do that?" etc. etc.

Look, lady (or less frequently, guy) - I'm doing what's right for her. She's getting BM. It's none of your business that she has a mouth issue. So F off.

/rant

Oh and I was reading about problems that others were having and I think my son may have an upper lip tie. He had problems with his latch and even when bottle feeding doesn't flare his upper lip out most of his feedings (he can flare it out a little, but I am not sure how much). His latch was always really shallow, which made it difficult for him to eat and he would fall asleep while eating before getting a full feed and it really mangled my nipples. I am beyond the point of trying to reintroduce BF, because I am now back at work and I work 9hr days plus travel time, so I am going to keep EPing as long as I can, but it makes me feel a little better to know that it wasn't just me giving up and not being persistent enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->