The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Thanks Twinkie! What PIS do you have? My insurance will cover the most basic one from what I've been told. I really want the metro version which is going to cost me $100 out of pocket. I'm still a little worried about managing to pump during the bridal shower and especially the wedding day. Hopefully I can manage. I can't afford a further dip in supply. I hope you are back to your usual supply ASAP. I definitely noticed a surge when I first started fenugreek. Good luck!

Twinkie - I'm glad to hear that your supply is coming back up!! Hope the fenugreek does even more!!

Mona - If I'm going to be away for more then a few hours, I most definitely bring my pump with me. Like Twinkie, I've brought it to places for all the holidays and weekends away. If we're out shopping or whatnot, I tend to just let pump right before we leave and as soon as we get back. I've been using my PISA since day 1, and it's been fantastic so far.

---

I feel like giving up. I know the saying is don't give up after a bad pump day. But I only pumped 14.75 oz today. :cry: I've been pumping 18-19 and it just plummeted today for some reason. I'm so depressed. I'm going to try pumping every hour tomorrow and Friday, since I'll be at work and won't have to worry about taking care of LO. Does anyone think that will work. I already eat steel cut oats, take fenugreek, made lactation muffins. I'm running out of ways to increase my milk, and I'm really not ready to stop. I desperately want to meet my goal of 6 months.

Get a script for domperidone from the doc

Would my GP be able to prescribe that or only my OB? Our family doctor sees LO, so I was going to ask about it at her 4 mth appt. I'm hoping it was just a fluke pumping day and I'll go back to somewhat normal tomorrow.

Also, if you get your period your supply drops, which can happen at any time. I got mine at 3 weeks pp while EPing. -.-' one of the lucky ones.

Also, if you get your period your supply drops, which can happen at any time. I got mine at 3 weeks pp while EPing. -.-' one of the lucky ones.

I got my first exactly 1 month pp. While EPing for TWINS! :dohh: My OB and nurses were so surprised.

I take my pump places too! We drove to Los Angeles last week which was a 7 hour drive. I used the battery attachment and pumped while my DH was driving. Then we stopped at a gas station, got hot water and warmed the bottles to feed them. We went to visit his brother and I had to pump while we were at their house. They just let me use their bedroom. Oh and I took my pump to a Super Bowl party!

I have a Madela PISA and at the hospital the LC said it was just as good as the madela I could rent from them. I was interested in renting to give my supply the biggest chance of success. So I didn't rent.

I have started breast feeding the babies again almost every feeding for the last week. I pump after maybe 1/2 the feedings. Still also have to give a small bottle of formula to top off. I want to do a 24 hour pump maybe Friday to see if my supply has increased.

Thanks Emerald. I'll see if I can wait till her 4 month appt, if not, I'll definitely calling to get something. I don't know if they prescribe domperidone here in the US. I've read that they don't. But I've read about reglan too. I pumped 7 this morning, so I'm hoping by pumping every hour-ish today and tomorrow, I'l go back to normal.

Best of luck! I've also crashed from sleeping in too much!

My supply is almost back to normal, and little guy has decided to sleep in a couple days, one of which he slept straight through one of his bottles, which gave me some extra wiggle room. The fenugreek seems to be helping too :)

I don't know which PIS I have, it is an older model- maybe 10 years old? I bought it off a friend for $50 and she gave me a ton of bottles, lids, horns, tubes, valves, seals, etc to go with it! It was a great deal!

Thanks Twinkie! Good news on your supply! :happydance:

I'm thinking of spending the extra money on the Metro version. Anyone have feedback?

Hello! Just found this thread, I've been EP for my twins for 10 weeks now. They were preemies, so I have to give them two bottles of preemie formula a day (which I hate, I'd rather just feed them expressed BM...but the doctors say I must supplement for at least 8 months :().

For the first month, the babies were in the NICU and I was using a rented Symphony pump...I built my supply up to 60oz a day pumping every 3 hours around the clock. Then the babies came home, and I switched to the Medela Pump In Style (free through insurance vs. $80 a month for the Symphony). I found I was unable to fit 8 pumping sessions in every day, and my supply suffered. Then I went back to work, and my supply dropped even more...some days I wasn't even making 30oz!

I started drinking Mother's Milk tea, eating oatmeal, and making sure I fit in at least 5-6 pumping sessions a day, and I've got my supply back up to ~45 oz on a good day, but I need to get back to 60! Right now I pump at 2:30am, 7:15am, 11:30am, 3pm, 7pm, and 10pm. I can't figure out where I can fit in another session during the day, and I don't think my sanity could withstand another middle of the night session. Any suggestions?

Hello! Just found this thread, I've been EP for my twins for 10 weeks now. They were preemies, so I have to give them two bottles of preemie formula a day (which I hate, I'd rather just feed them expressed BM...but the doctors say I must supplement for at least 8 months :().

For the first month, the babies were in the NICU and I was using a rented Symphony pump...I built my supply up to 60oz a day pumping every 3 hours around the clock. Then the babies came home, and I switched to the Medela Pump In Style (free through insurance vs. $80 a month for the Symphony). I found I was unable to fit 8 pumping sessions in every day, and my supply suffered. Then I went back to work, and my supply dropped even more...some days I wasn't even making 30oz!

I started drinking Mother's Milk tea, eating oatmeal, and making sure I fit in at least 5-6 pumping sessions a day, and I've got my supply back up to ~45 oz on a good day, but I need to get back to 60! Right now I pump at 2:30am, 7:15am, 11:30am, 3pm, 7pm, and 10pm. I can't figure out where I can fit in another session during the day, and I don't think my sanity could withstand another middle of the night session. Any suggestions?

I have been told that taking fenugreek capsules works better than drinking the tea, so you may want to try that! Also what if you squeeze in one more pump during the day??? So pump 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm... Although I must tell you that I don't see a difference in my overall daily output whether I pump every 3hrs or every 4hrs (I average right around 2oz per hr, so if I pump every 3hrs I get 6oz if I pump every 4 I get 8oz), so adding an extra pump may be more trouble than it is worth. Have you talked to your Dr. about possibly getting a prescription?

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't think I can squeeze in that extra session during the day, since I'm only allowed 2 pumping breaks at work, and you have to sign up for the time slots...11:30 and 3:00 are the only ones available. However, I might be able to squeeze in another session if I pump every 2 hours when I get home...so 2:30am, 7:15, 11:30, 3:00, 6:30, 8:30, 10:30. I don't know if that will work, though, because evenings are so busy with the babies.

I'm going to pick up some fenugreek capsules on the way home. I'm optimistic!

Dragon, did you read the 1st post for this thread? The OP talked about pumping marathons where you pump til they're empty, wait a few minutes, then pump again. She explains it better. I feel like it helped me as it imitates cluster feeding kind of.

It took me forever to find fenugreek! I tried Walgreens and CVS- no luck, so I went to a health food/vitamin store, and they carry it but it happened to be the ONE supplement they were out of! A whole wall full of supplements, with one empty spot lol. Eventually I found it at another vitamin store, 180 capsules for $10. Funnily enough, when I went to the grocery store I go to every week, there it was on the shelf for half the price :haha:

At least I know where to get it if I need more!

Anyone know how long it usually takes to work?

It took me forever to find fenugreek! I tried Walgreens and CVS- no luck, so I went to a health food/vitamin store, and they carry it but it happened to be the ONE supplement they were out of! A whole wall full of supplements, with one empty spot lol. Eventually I found it at another vitamin store, 180 capsules for $10. Funnily enough, when I went to the grocery store I go to every week, there it was on the shelf for half the price :haha:

At least I know where to get it if I need more!

Anyone know how long it usually takes to work?

I ordered it off of Walmart's website since their site said it wasn't carried in store. I was there the other day and wouldn't you know they had it :dohh: I think I ready you should start seeing results in 24-72 hrs. I saw an improvement in a day :)

I'm really disappointed. I used my PISA for the first time at lunch at got less then usual - 2.5 ounces instead of 3.5-4 ounces. I can't afford to keep renting the Symphony and it was killing me taking it back and forth on the trains for the past 5 weeks. Do you guys use your PIS on the highest suction? I'm only making enough for LO to have 3 5 oz bottles a day as it is, plus some occasional nursing. :(

I use the highest suction. Maybe the funnel horn things aren't the ideal size? I don't go by the guide and I actually use the larger ones and feel they work better. Like more of my boob gets worked. When I use the smaller one that fits my nips I feel like I don't get as much. Also, if I turn it off, wait 5 minutes then pump again I get more. Also I massage my boobs while its pumping. Hope maybe after a few pumps your body will get used to it and you get more. The milk is there, it just needs coaxing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->