The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

I use it on the highest setting. In fact, the other day I thought it was wearing out or something because it was taking forever to pump and I really had to do lots of breast compressions and stuff to drain them completely. WELL, after a day of this I noticed the suction setting was turned down. I leave my pump plugged in next to my couch since I use it so much and our do must have some how messed up the setting! Works better now that I turned it back up :)

Well I am coming to my end of EPing :( I am going to start weaning myself off of my pump. We are going on vacation in early June and I don't want to take my pump everywhere with me. I just can't decide if I want to keep pumping morning and night and give LO occasional BM bottles or stop completely. I figured if I just pump morning and night I no longer have to take my pump to work too and that would be a big bonus.

Also replace the white flap rubber things once in a while. Mine wore out and I put new ones on and noticed a huge difference in suction.

Twinkie, if its not too much work, I'm sure your LO would benefit still from the occasional bm. It will be so weird to wean and not be chained to the pump anymore! So much freedom!

Thanks ladies! I'm hoping it was just a fluke because my last two sessions have been more typical of what I usually get. How often would you suggest changing out those flaps? I'm already using the 27 mm flanges.

Twinkie, I would probably also pump morning and night if you can. I give you and the other ladies who do this long term lots of credit. I've been pumping after most feeds since my LO is 7 weeks but now pumping alone feels like more work for some reason. I keep hoping she will want to start nursing regularly again and that's a big reason why I stick with it.

Mona - I use it on the medium suction. I was using it on a pretty high setting, but the past couple weeks my nipples were really sore afterwards. I turned it down and it was much much better. I agree with san too; maybe look into changing the white flaps. If you're EPing, I would suggest once a month or maybe twice a month. I usually change mine once a month and I pump 7ish times a day.

Twinkie - I think I'm coming to an end too. I'm going to start weaning myself off it April 1st. I want to diet and exercise without worrying about my supply. Plus, I stress too much when I have to be alone with her. I don't want that at all. I'm going to try and get myself down to 3-4 pumps a day still though. I think if it's not too much of a hassle, LO could benefit greatly from 1 bottle of BM a day.

I have never changed the white seals, but I have 5 sets of pump parts that I rotate using so I don't have to was them all the time. I think all of mine are still in good shape.

How often does everyone pump to maintain supply? I pump 5x per day - about 6:30 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm and about 8:00 pm. Sometimes LO nurses to sleep or in the MOTN. My supply has dropped about 5 oz since returning to work and LO refusing to nurse unless she's sleepy.

I'm not sure how much longer I will keep up with this (LO is 4.5 months) but to make it easier, am considering dropping the 10 am pump where I only get about 2 ounces since my supply dropped, and moving my next pump to 12:00 pm. Is that likely to make my supply drop even further? I'm able to pump enough for three 5 oz bottles a day plus a couple of ounces extra and would love to maintain that.

I would guess that dropping a pumping session would decrease your supply, yes.

I went about a week only pumping 4 times a day, and my supply dropped by 50%...I went from 60 oz a day to 30 oz. It was awful. It took me weeks to get it back up to 45-50oz, and that was using fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, tons of oatmeal, and power pumping. I'm still trying to work my way back up to 60oz.

I pump 6 times a day now, at 2:30am, 7:30am, 11:30am, 3pm, 7pm, and 10pm. Sometimes I throw a power pump in there as well. On the weekends I try to pump 7 times a day if I can.

To maintain my supply I was pumping 6X a day (I was pumping about 42oz a day at one point. I dropped to 4 a day with only a slight drop (maybe 38oz). I am now doing 3x a day and at best I get 26-28oz, but that seems to be dropping. I just started giving LO a daily bottle of formula. I am hoping to be down to 2X a week in 2 more weeks. I am going to try that for awhile and see how my supply is impacted, then make the decision to keep pumping or stop all together.

Thank you both. I will have to keep up with that 5th pump for now or at least until she starts day care late next month if I am still pumping (MIL comes to my house now - makes life easier!). Sometimes it's so hard to push myself to do it when it's only 2 ounces!

How do you feel weaning off the pump Twinkie?

Physically it is going well. I pretty much just wait as long as I can during the day while still being comfortable. Then I pump when I go to bed and when I wake up. I am hoping that in the next couple weeks I will have dropped my daytime pump completely. Emotionally I am still a little sad. As much of a pain in the rear end it was pumping, I enjoyed knowing that he was getting primarily BM. I still feel a little guilty quiting at 6 months.

I understand feeling guilty, but you really shouldn't. You've done an amazing job! :hugs:

Thanks Mona! I know that making it 6 months (well almost) is a good accomplishment, but I know I could have gone longer. I think what bothers me is that I am primarily because we are going on vacation in a couple months and I don't want to pump while I am there. But I guess part of being a good Mom is making good memories with my family and spending my whole vacation hooked up to a pump would not allow me to do that. I also feel that my oldest son gets shorted in the whole deal because not only do I have to spend a lot of time taking care of his brother, but I also have to pump. So it will be nice to give both of my kids more attention. So it is bittersweet.

I completely understand the guilt. But you've done AMAZING! :hugs: I wish I could've had the supply you did, and not give my LO so much formula the first few months.

I think I need some advice on breastshields. My nipples hurt like no other! I'm reading that it shouldn't hurt at all. I already have the large size and I'm wondering how you know if its not the right ones? The bigger the shield the more room for extra "boobage" to get sucked in right? I know nothing should be touching the sides of the shield. Mine touch so does this most likely mean I need bigger breastshields?

Hi Ladies. I am EE for over two months now. My supply was very good until my AF returned out of nowhere this past Friday and my supply has gone down to the point that as of today I can no longer keep up with her. :cry: I have worked so hard for to get my supply up. She is only 3.5 months old.

I'm taking fenugreek and pumping whenever I can but nothing. Will my supply increase again???. It just keeps dwindling. :cry:

I think you still can increase your supply, but it is going to take lots of pumping. It may come back on its own after AF leave.

I still haven't got my first AF (although I think I am ovulating now) so I am not speaking from personal experience, but I am sure others can advise you better :)

I use the XL size breast shields, the 30mm ones. No matter what size you use, I think your nipples will still touch the inside of the flanges. I think the concern is that they don't chafe or rub too much. I started out using the 24mm, and I got very sore nipples, so I moved up to 27mm. At first it was ok, but more of my breast was drawn into the flange so I had the same problem. So I moved up to 30mm. My nipple touches the sides all the way around still, once the suction draws them into the flange...but it doesn't rub too much, and I don't get nearly as sore.

Olive Oil the inside of the flange where it comes in contact with your nipples!

Hi Ladies. I am EE for over two months now. My supply was very good until my AF returned out of nowhere this past Friday and my supply has gone down to the point that as of today I can no longer keep up with her. :cry: I have worked so hard for to get my supply up. She is only 3.5 months old.

I'm taking fenugreek and pumping whenever I can but nothing. Will my supply increase again???. It just keeps dwindling. :cry:

Hi, I EE'd with my first lo and supply used to drop before AF (that's how I knew she was coming) and then bounce back afterwards - but never quite to the same amount - it used to reduce by maybe half an ounce a time...luckily I had a good supply and didn't need to supplement too much. But it did come back each time - hope that helps and reassures a bit.

x

Thank you pachamama for your reply. My supply is very low now. Af ended2 days ago. I hope it gets better. I'm doing as many natural things to boost it as I can. Time will only tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->