The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

My latest problem is that I an only get milk out with serious compressions and my breast are bruised to death from it but nipples are fine. Is my milk to thick?

I'm having the same issue! I think my let-down is messed up...I have to practically wring the milk out! If I don't push and squeeze on every part of my breast, I only get 2-3 ounces instead of 8-10. It's unbelievably frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas to facilitate let-down?

You ladies are awesome. I'm at 18 days old and I just can't keep expressing and spending hours trying to get her to latch. It's a crazy train, I'm crying constantly as is LO and DH and I are fighting. So I think I'm going to have to switch to formula. I've enough BM frozen for a couple of days.

Good luck to you all, stay strong and keep doing what s right for you xxxxx

My latest problem is that I an only get milk out with serious compressions and my breast are bruised to death from it but nipples are fine. Is my milk to thick?

I'm having the same issue! I think my let-down is messed up...I have to practically wring the milk out! If I don't push and squeeze on every part of my breast, I only get 2-3 ounces instead of 8-10. It's unbelievably frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas to facilitate let-down?

I used to have this issue. Now they are pretty good. I still compress, especially at the end of a pump. Yep, it hurts.

Something to help letdown? Don't focus on your boobs - read a book, go on BnB. I also find when you have been pumping a while and still haven't let down skulling a big drink tends to bring on a big let down for me for some odd reason.

You ladies are awesome. I'm at 18 days old and I just can't keep expressing and spending hours trying to get her to latch. It's a crazy train, I'm crying constantly as is LO and DH and I are fighting. So I think I'm going to have to switch to formula. I've enough BM frozen for a couple of days.

Good luck to you all, stay strong and keep doing what s right for you xxxxx

I remember those days. I cried constantly for 10 weeks. In the shower, pumping, in between. I hated my life, I hated the pump even more. I even resented LO - like a "why can't you just BF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!". I tried latching - spent an hour doing that, then cried that she wouldn't latch, then pumped for half an hour, cleaned equipment, fed baby, repeat the process. I don't blame you for giving up. If it helps, it does get easier.
However, make sure it is definitely what you want to do. Relactating is possible but very hard.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. We're here for support regardless of the route you take. You've done very well to last almost 3 weeks :)

Rule #1 = feed the baby! Happy Mum, happy bub :hugs:

Has anyone found that exclusively expressing lowered their supply vs just breast feeding? I am doing alright bf but would like more freedom as my lo is 3 weeks and I have a toddler too who doesn't like being cooped up (I'm finding there are very few places that provide appropriate facilities for bf and I don't feel comfortable out in the open bf even with a cover). My lo also nurses so frequently I'm tied to the couch. Maybe selfish reasons but I'm just trying to maintain sanity. I know it's not easier but if I could eventually go 3-4 hours between pumps that would be worth it. Lactation consultant seems to think EPing would dry up supply though. Thoughts? Advice? Should I stick out the bf or do you find expressing easier for your family?

Hi, MrsWhite...I never exclusively breastfed my twins, but I did about half and half in the beginning, and I actually saw an increase in my supply with EP. That could be because my babies weren't eating as much (only 12-14 oz per day each when they came home from the hospital at 4 weeks).

I think it depends on the person, because some women don't let down well with the pump, and in that case it could definitely lower your supply. Have you used a pump yet? How does it work for you?

I've been pumping for 5 months, I pump 5-6 times a day, and I express about 50 ounces a day. At about 1.5 months, I got lazy and was only pumping every ~6 hours, and my supply dropped to 30oz. I got it back up using fenugreek and a good pumping schedule.

I currently can get at most 1.5 ounces out of each breast (that's when I am full, not right after a feed), so 3 ounces total, but if I were to pump every 2 hours (without bf in between) it'd be MAYBE 2 ounces every 2 hours. Not sure if that's good for a 3 week old supply (I had a slow start though, my milk didn't come in until day 5-6). If there's anything to be had I usually let down fine for the pump, comes out within a minute or two pretty high flow I think, slows down and almost nothing by 5-7 minutes though and may be able to express a few more drops if I do the full 15 minutes but I really only do that to signal body to make more milk.

I think that sounds pretty good for 3 weeks, but keep in mind that the more frequently you pump, the more milk you will make. So if you pump every 2-3 hours around the clock, eventually you will be getting more than 2-3 oz each time.

I get about 8-10 ounces every ~4 hours.

Anyone else pumping for a baby in nicu? My little one is4 weeks old today and went to nicu at 2 days old with breathing probs. Turns out he has a heart problem and possible genetic condition that means we've been there ever since. In between the stress, having a toddler at home and boob pain I'm struggling to express even 6 times a day. And whilst my little one is ill I know it's the best for him.

However we now have other issues as it looks like he has reflux due to his condition as there are feeding problems related to it. They are supplementing his feeds with formula and adding fab icon as the want him back up to birth weight as he lost 16% in the first week. He was breastfeeding on demand at first but he had a major setback and went on a ventilator at 2 weeks old. So he is now tube fed every 2 hours and I'm finding it hard to keep up. My nipples an areolas are sore and starting to crack despite lanolin cream being liberally applied, I'm exhausted from the constant trips to hospital and not even feeling like I can g up in the night as I'm so tired.

Not looking for answers as such but just wanted somewhere to vent really. Thanks for listening xxx

Hi smiffy, you're not alone! My twins were in the NICU for 4 weeks, and I pumped for them the whole time (and still am, 6 months later). It's tough, especially in the beginning when you're trying to establish a good supply. I really recommend pumping every 3 hours around the clock for about the first 2-3 months. I know it sucks, but it's worth it.

If you're nipples are really sore from pumping, it may be a good idea to check the size of the flanges you're using. If they're too small, your nipples will rub against the sides and get really irritated and sore. Going a size or two up will help enormously in that case. I have to use XL size Medela flanges because the Mediums completely tore up my nipples, and the Large were still too small.

I'm on my second case of mastitis this month...and this time it was so bad, I had to have 3 antibiotic injections plus a full course of bactrim. My fever was 102+ and the red area on my breast was 14 centimeters across. Ugh. I'm feeling better now, but I'm still sooo tired, I feel like I can hardly get through the workday.

Anyone else pumping for a baby in nicu? My little one is4 weeks old today and went to nicu at 2 days old with breathing probs. Turns out he has a heart problem and possible genetic condition that means we've been there ever since. In between the stress, having a toddler at home and boob pain I'm struggling to express even 6 times a day. And whilst my little one is ill I know it's the best for him.

However we now have other issues as it looks like he has reflux due to his condition as there are feeding problems related to it. They are supplementing his feeds with formula and adding fab icon as the want him back up to birth weight as he lost 16% in the first week. He was breastfeeding on demand at first but he had a major setback and went on a ventilator at 2 weeks old. So he is now tube fed every 2 hours and I'm finding it hard to keep up. My nipples an areolas are sore and starting to crack despite lanolin cream being liberally applied, I'm exhausted from the constant trips to hospital and not even feeling like I can g up in the night as I'm so tired.

Not looking for answers as such but just wanted somewhere to vent really. Thanks for listening xxx

Wow, I absolutely feel for you. My daughter was in the NICU for more than a month. She also had breathing problems, was on the ventilator, was tube fed etc etc. In my case, she is my first born, so I didn't have to worry about another little one. I used to pump at least every 3 hours. Initially, she was totally sedated and on IV fluids, so I had BM frozen from those days. This really helped with the stress of keeping up with the demand. I also rented a hospital pump for home, which really helped, and would pump regularly even when at the hospital.

I would say, just keep pumping as much as you can, but don't beat yourself about it. The stress of having a baby in the NICU itself affects supply. I tried to read a book or browse while pumping, it really helped with the supply, so I wasnt watching every drop and worrying if it was enough. If you need to supplement, that is ok too, so long as he is getting some BM. Also, check your pump settings and make sure its not too high. You should feel comfortable while pumping, ur nipples should not be hurting. Check the size of your phlange that its not too small or big. I really recommend that you try renting a hospital pump for a month and see if it helps supply.

I hope your little one comes home soon to you. My daughter came home with a feeding tube. Those days of round the clock pumping, feeding through the tube, washing etc etc was hard. But you learn to get through it.

PM me if you want any support or help. Good luck.

Hey I was thinking the was the place to get some advice :). I have been pumping since quitting breastfeeding with the nipple shields ( couldn't wean her off them and was emotionally devastated) when she was two months old. I've been trying to wean off the pump since we are about to go on a vacation and my baby will be staying the in laws. I think I've done a pretty good stretch and I'm ready to be done with the pump. I've gotten down to where the last time I pumped was Sunday nights. Today is Wednesday morning. This morning I am extremely engorged and tender. That was a long stretch to go since pumping though. I don't know what to do at this point since if I keep pumping I will keep making milk. Should I just deal with the discomfort and it will go away?

Hey I was thinking the was the place to get some advice :). I have been pumping since quitting breastfeeding with the nipple shields ( couldn't wean her off them and was emotionally devastated) when she was two months old. I've been trying to wean off the pump since we are about to go on a vacation and my baby will be staying the in laws. I think I've done a pretty good stretch and I'm ready to be done with the pump. I've gotten down to where the last time I pumped was Sunday nights. Today is Wednesday morning. This morning I am extremely engorged and tender. That was a long stretch to go since pumping though. I don't know what to do at this point since if I keep pumping I will keep making milk. Should I just deal with the discomfort and it will go away?

I've read that you should pump just enough to relieve the engorgement but don't empty the breast. Eventually milk will dry up but if you go without pumping totally you could give yourself mastitis.

Ally. Just hand express a little bit into the sink or while in shower, just to relieve a little bit as you don't want to get mastitis.

Mrswhite. Have you considered hiring the medela symphony? They also have one machine that has a premie card that's supposed to help increase the milk. 3 weeks pp you are doing v well, it will increase as time goes on. There are also medications (domperidone) that have no side effects but I'm not sure if ok with an ill bubba.

13 weeks pp and still only able to made 3 feeds a day. Am struggling to fit all my pumps in too as baby likes to go out each day. Plus he is teething so getting a bit fractious :-(

Thanks girls! I've hand expressed twice when I have had blocked ducts the past few days. Those ducts are kind of irritating! But I've made it four days without pumping! Hallelujah!

You can also get some lecithin from a whole foods shop. It's a natural way to unblock ducts

When pumping should I pump until milk stops flowing or is doing just 20 mins sufficient?

When pumping should I pump until milk stops flowing or is doing just 20 mins sufficient?

When you're establishing your supply, it's important to completely empty your breasts (or as completely as possible) when you pump, so pump until the milk stops flowing. I usually pump until I haven't seen any sprays in about 5 minutes.

Thank you! Also does getting 1oz out per breast sound about normal? And when do you usually see an increase in production?

Thank you! Also does getting 1oz out per breast sound about normal? And when do you usually see an increase in production?

1oz is excellent at 5 days! Well done!

You'll notice a gradual increase over the next 4 weeks. Then I was stead for a while between about 6-10 weeks and then from around 12 weeks I had another huge supply increase. But I'm weird ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->