The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

pcsoph

Its very important that you empty your breast fully so that your body gets the signal to make more milk. My ped told me to pump till that very last drop then keep pumping an extra 5 mins and that will signal to your body that there is a hungry baby and to make more milk. If you are continuing to breastfeed pump after you feed your baby to make sure that the breast is empty. Also when you FF make sure you are still pumping don't go more than 3 hours without pumping or feeding. Its very important the first 12 weeks, because your supply is not established yet. Its hard work but you can do it! Also with Fenugreek my midwife tole me to take 3-4 tablets 3-4 times a day when you start to smell like maple syrup then you know you are taking enough.

Steph

I welcome and congrats on continuing to give your baby breast milk! Most of the women here just exclusively pump so our feeding routines would be different from yours.

But my son eats anywhere from 30-35oz a day. Eating 5-8oz per feeding. I pump 5 times a day and yield 30oz on average. I used to make 40oz till I had a bad case of the flu and almost lost my supply, had to work had to get it back up to 30oz but I never fully recovered. I've been having to use some milk from my freezer stash.

question ladies my milk smells weird when its been frozen. Not sour but kind of metallic smelling. Its been in freezer backs in a deep freeze so I know the milk didn't go bad. Any thoughts? DS will still drink it but I feel like he spits up more and doesn't drink as much of it?

Breast milk does have a rather odd smell to it after it's been defrosted. For me it smells a bit more soapy, a fact that I hadn't even been aware of until very recently. I was scared that I'd have to throw out 100 feeds cause of it, but DS quite happily drinks it anyway.

There's a specific name for metallic smelling milk, which I forget, but there have been some threads about it on here and how to deal with it.

Wish I could find that thread on metallic smelly milk! Hope is okay for baby to still drink

Steph

I welcome and congrats on continuing to give your baby breast milk! Most of the women here just exclusively pump so our feeding routines would be different from yours.

But my son eats anywhere from 30-35oz a day. Eating 5-8oz per feeding. I pump 5 times a day and yield 30oz on average. I used to make 40oz till I had a bad case of the flu and almost lost my supply, had to work had to get it back up to 30oz but I never fully recovered. I've been having to use some milk from my freezer stash.

question ladies my milk smells weird when its been frozen. Not sour but kind of metallic smelling. Its been in freezer backs in a deep freeze so I know the milk didn't go bad. Any thoughts? DS will still drink it but I feel like he spits up more and doesn't drink as much of it?

Breast milk does have a rather odd smell to it after it's been defrosted. For me it smells a bit more soapy, a fact that I hadn't even been aware of until very recently. I was scared that I'd have to throw out 100 feeds cause of it, but DS quite happily drinks it anyway.

There's a specific name for metallic smelling milk, which I forget, but there have been some threads about it on here and how to deal with it.

Wish I could find that thread on metallic smelly milk! Hope is okay for baby to still drink

Is it this thread talking about lipase?

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/2124551-wrong-my-milk.html

Steph

Annoyingly I can't find the recent thread that I was thinking of. But the name is lipase, and everything says that it's perfectly fine for consumption.

Steph

Is it this thread talking about lipase?

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/2124551-wrong-my-milk.html

Gah, I replied before I spotted this, and that's the most recent thread I was thinking of :thumbup:

Well I just made a thread asking for advice on exclusively pumping for my preemie then I see this! If any of you could peek at my thread and send advice I'd really appreciate it!

Well I just made a thread asking for advice on exclusively pumping for my preemie then I see this! If any of you could peek at my thread and send advice I'd really appreciate it!

Welcome to the thread. I replied to your actual thread, but you can ask anything here for hints, advice or even just chat about how it's going for you.

And good luck to you, exclusively pumping is a rather unique journey all by itself :thumbup:

Hi there all...

I have been given a medela industrial breast pump. The breast cup is a basic cup thing, but as I start pumping the milk kinda goes up the sides and it makes the cup slip off my breast and hence no milk gets extracted. Is there a quick way to keep it in place (apart from laying on my stomach with my boobs free and dropping down towards the floor so gravity helps the milk drop down??)

But in one quick 20 min session got near on 2floz... could've gotten more but as th cup kept slipping I was getting more milk dropping out the bottom (I have rather large boobs thanks to pregnancy!!)

Hi there all...

I have been given a medela industrial breast pump. The breast cup is a basic cup thing, but as I start pumping the milk kinda goes up the sides and it makes the cup slip off my breast and hence no milk gets extracted. Is there a quick way to keep it in place (apart from laying on my stomach with my boobs free and dropping down towards the floor so gravity helps the milk drop down??)

But in one quick 20 min session got near on 2floz... could've gotten more but as th cup kept slipping I was getting more milk dropping out the bottom (I have rather large boobs thanks to pregnancy!!)

I'm not an expert by any means, less than 2 weeks pumping, but after my first few days I had this problem too. I also have a large chest. I searched online for making your own hands free bra. Basically just cut a small enough hole for the breast shield. I used an old, slightly tight/snug, wire free bra. It works great! I just slip it on, pump, and take it off when done. Obviously can't wear it all day because of the tight fit but it's nice and I haven't had any slipping since. Depending on my positioning I just lean forward every so often and any milk still not in the bottle flows down.

pcsoph not sure I really understand what you are describing but like babymaybe said you can make a hands free bra or buy one. I made mine out of an old sports bra. Or maybe you are taking about the shield size? You can buy different sizes of those online as well. I had to buy a size large because the standard size that comes with the medela pumps was painful.

pcsoph not sure I really understand what you are describing but like babymaybe said you can make a hands free bra or buy one. I made mine out of an old sports bra. Or maybe you are taking about the shield size? You can buy different sizes of those online as well. I had to buy a size large because the standard size that comes with the medela pumps was painful.

I'm in agreement with the shield size here, though I can't really tell from the post whether a larger or smaller shield is needed. I'm fortunate that I didn't need to change shield sizes.

Subscribing to this thread!! I know a lot of people probably think I am weird but BF'ing has never been something that has ever appealed to me but breastmilk is free and (I hear) is better for the baby!! I've been doing a lot of reading on exclusively pumping...and hoping to gain some knowledge to feed my twins!

Subscribing to this thread!! I know a lot of people probably think I am weird but BF'ing has never been something that has ever appealed to me but breastmilk is free and (I hear) is better for the baby!! I've been doing a lot of reading on exclusively pumping...and hoping to gain some knowledge to feed my twins!

You should do whatever feels right to you, and EP is a wonderful gift to give your baby. But I would keep an open mind about nursing. It is actually pretty common in our culture to feel weird about it prior to giving birth. But you may feel differently once the babies arrive. And if they are healthy and latching/transferring well enough, establishing your supply via nursing is way easier than doing so via pumping. Healthy babies are more effective and quicker to empty the breast, plus you don't have to spend extra time bottle feeding.

Yea, maybe I suppose!! Guess I'll have to wait and see. I know a lot of expectant mothers have a lot of ideas about HOW they'll do something then get slapped in the face with reality...so I know whatever is easiest will win, but usually when I get an idea in my head I stick to it, because I'm stubborn like that :D . I know formula/breast feeding from my nieces and nephews so I've been researching like crazy lately about EP'ing. Thanks for letting me join along to learn some more.

Gdane

congrats on your pregnancy! Just know EP is VERY time consuming and especially in the beginning when you will have to establish your supply and for twins. You would need to pump for 15-20 mins every 1-2 hours even at night. I would of loved to been able to just breastfeed directly from the breast would be sooo much easier! Not having to take the time to pump, feed the baby, and wash all those bottles and pumping parts. So maybe just give it a try :shrug: But if you end up not doing it I'm sure you'll be able to find tons of advice on EP right here! :flower:

Lately is been hard squeezing in my pumping sessions at home when baby is awake. He wants to be entertained and play when I get home from work. And I find myself trying to entertain him and pump at the same time which makes me stressed out and I'm sure is affecting my pump session quality.:wacko: Also it takes about 30 mins to empty my breast so its not just a quick 15mins.

My baby is now 6 months old! I can't believe I've gone this long EP and baby has had nothing but breast milk thus far. Im actually very proud of myself :happydance:....Lets see if I can make it to a year now :thumbup: We have a trip to Disney planned for the summer though so I might stop pumping before then he will be 11 months when we go so almost a year. Have any of you ladies pumped while vacationing, how does that work on airplane?

Lately is been hard squeezing in my pumping sessions at home when baby is awake. He wants to be entertained and play when I get home from work. And I find myself trying to entertain him and pump at the same time which makes me stressed out and I'm sure is affecting my pump session quality.:wacko: Also it takes about 30 mins to empty my breast so its not just a quick 15mins.

My baby is now 6 months old! I can't believe I've gone this long EP and baby has had nothing but breast milk thus far. Im actually very proud of myself :happydance:....Lets see if I can make it to a year now :thumbup: We have a trip to Disney planned for the summer though so I might stop pumping before then he will be 11 months when we go so almost a year. Have any of you ladies pumped while vacationing, how does that work on airplane?

Good going for getting to the 6 month goal, I've got just a few more weeks until I get there myself. I'm pretty lucky that when I pump DS is typically asleep at the time, and if not Hubby is around to keep an eye on him.

I've got no ideas about what you could do about flying. I've got a while before we take DS on a plane, not until he's about 2 years old, so won't have to worry about pumping at that point. The most I know is that the rules are pretty strict when in comes to fluids, but I think that it can be worked around by taking frozen stash.

Anyone else using the Medela double electric pump? My pump just started to all of a sudden switch back to the stimulation mode by itself? I've only been pumping to 15 mins and its done it twice now? Why does it do this?

Anyone else using the Medela double electric pump? My pump just started to all of a sudden switch back to the stimulation mode by itself? I've only been pumping to 15 mins and its done it twice now? Why does it do this?

Afraid not. Might be worth posting on the main board about it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->