The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Re: storage bags-- I haven't used them myself, but people say Target ones are the best. I used Lansinoh and have had a few leaks despite freezing only 4oz.

Steph you are a brave soul! I'm glad the trip went well. I don't know what's scarier, having to pump while on such a long flight or having 2 kids on that flight!

I think I've narrowed it down to the target brand or Nuk brand. Both have good reviews. I need to decide quick but I'm terrified of getting leaky bags. My deep freeze is almost full though. The plastic bottles take up so much more space. I'm pumping an average of 30oz a day and Ellie is just now getting 26ml every 3hrs via ng tube so she won't be cathing up any time soon.

How long does it take you to empty while pumping? I started out pumping for 15 mins and stopping but now it's more like 20-25 and sometimes longer to empty. I guess I assumed it'd get quicker not take longer. :shrug:

How long does it take you to empty while pumping? I started out pumping for 15 mins and stopping but now it's more like 20-25 and sometimes longer to empty. I guess I assumed it'd get quicker not take longer. :shrug:

It takes me about the same amount of time while pumping too. I found that when I first lengthened the time between pumping that was when pumping time was at it's shortest, then when I adjust to that time that was when it started to take longer..

seaweed eater WOW great job! If you can continue pumping on that trip than I should be able to handle my little trip to FL in Aug. You give me hope! :)

Babymaybe It takes me 30mins sometimes longer to empty. The more milk I make the longer it takes. I guess some women just empty faster than others. Boy do I wish I was one of those women who emptier faster! :-/

Mini update from me that I officially hit the 6 month milestone over the weekend :happydance:

Congratulations missbabes that's awesome!!!

I decided on target brand. I've heard so many good things. They seem like a nice quality so far. They are thicker than lansinoh by far. I was given a sample bag... I won't even use it they seemed so thin. So hopefully when we thaw (months from now) they'll have no leaks!

I think my supply is also leveling out. I've pretty consistently been getting between 30-32oz.

Hello ladies.
Before starting I want to say all of you are doing a great job!
I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old and he still nurses like a newborn every 1-2 hours day and night. And I'm always stressed about my milk supply. And I've to start work from next month. So I've stated pumping but can barely express an ounce. I'll be working odd hours, no fixed routine. So want to start exclusively pumping, also cause it would give me some peace knowing how much he is drinking. Thanks in advance!

Well everyone, I failed :( 10 days shy of 6 months and I've had to start supplementing with formula. I'm still getting 27oz a day but I dont know whats wrong with my baby, she has upped her intake by about 10z in the past few days and I havent been able to keep up. Its annoying as it was so close to my goal but at least I managed to get her the extensively hydrolysed formula which has been shown to decrease risk of type 1 diabetes in at risk babies (her dad has type 1). And she loves it, and it hasnt upset her tummy so its not all bad.

mommalove i used to get barely nothing initially too. Its easier to get some by hand expressing and make sure you empty both breasts fully. Its very time consuming though, so you may be better off breastfeeding directly.

Well everyone, I failed :( 10 days shy of 6 months and I've had to start supplementing with formula. I'm still getting 27oz a day but I dont know whats wrong with my baby, she has upped her intake by about 10z in the past few days and I havent been able to keep up. Its annoying as it was so close to my goal but at least I managed to get her the extensively hydrolysed formula which has been shown to decrease risk of type 1 diabetes in at risk babies (her dad has type 1). And she loves it, and it hasnt upset her tummy so its not all bad.

mommalove i used to get barely nothing initially too. Its easier to get some by hand expressing and make sure you empty both breasts fully. Its very time consuming though, so you may be better off breastfeeding directly.

You didn't fail you are doing a fantastic job! Baby is prob just going through a growth spurt. Just a couple weeks ago my little guy did the same thing and I had to use milk from my freezer stash. But now he is back to drinking his normal amount. Keep pumping and I bet you'll be able to go back to just breast milk again soon! :thumbup:

Hello ladies.
Before starting I want to say all of you are doing a great job!
I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old and he still nurses like a newborn every 1-2 hours day and night. And I'm always stressed about my milk supply. And I've to start work from next month. So I've stated pumping but can barely express an ounce. I'll be working odd hours, no fixed routine. So want to start exclusively pumping, also cause it would give me some peace knowing how much he is drinking. Thanks in advance!

If you can breast feed directly I think you should still do that. Baby on the breast is better than any pump at stimulating milk supply. I would just pump when you're not with baby. Don't worry about how much the baby is getting as long as he is growing and thriving he is getting enough milk. Remember you prob aren't getting much when you pump because he is nursing from you too.

First of all, you are doing a great job! Do not stress yourself if baby is getting more of your milk than what you produce. What you can do is power pumping and lessen the formula milk intake by an oz a day.

In no time you can cope up with your baby's milk requirements.

Hey ladies, not much has changed since I last checked in. Still happily (as happy as you can be) pumping and getting nearer to the point where I'm considering dropping to one session a day. I go typically twelve hours between sessions, but haven't gone much beyond thirteen hours though even at that point it feels like I could last much longer. I'm just about producing 20oz a day, which just covers DS's intake now that he's taken so well to traditional mixed baby led weaning.

Missbabes I dropped from 12 hourly pumps to one session as of yesterday, and its been fine. I thought I'd get engorged but didnt. I've come to terms with supplementing with formula and it has been such a liberation!

missbabes are you doing formula at all? What is traditional mixed baby lead weaning?

My son started to eat some solids...the BLW style where you don't give purees but he still drinks about 35oz sometimes 40oz a day!!! And he only weights 16lbs so not sure why he still drinks so much milk.

missbabes are you doing formula at all? What is traditional mixed baby lead weaning?

My son started to eat some solids...the BLW style where you don't give purees but he still drinks about 35oz sometimes 40oz a day!!! And he only weights 16lbs so not sure why he still drinks so much milk.

Only used formula once and that was in an emergency when we were out and about longer than expected and that was when he was around 2 months. Always had a couple of cartons of ready made formula just to be on the safe side.

Food wise basically just the traditional puree way as well as him having finger foods too. He's a potato monster! He's just shy of 20lbs so gaining well.

Think it's normal for BLW babies to continue having extra milk far as I'm aware.

Only used formula once and that was in an emergency when we were out and about longer than expected and that was when he was around 2 months. Always had a couple of cartons of ready made formula just to be on the safe side.

Food wise basically just the traditional puree way as well as him having finger foods too. He's a potato monster! He's just shy of 20lbs so gaining well.

Think it's normal for BLW babies to continue having extra milk far as I'm aware.

I'm shocked your baby only drinks 20oz a day. Wish mine would slow down so I could drop some pumps too. So jealous you only have to pump twice a day and now might be going to once!

How many times a day is your little guy eating solids? I know I have to get better at feeding him solids more throughout the day. :dohh:

I'm shocked your baby only drinks 20oz a day. Wish mine would slow down so I could drop some pumps too. So jealous you only have to pump twice a day and now might be going to once!

How many times a day is your little guy eating solids? I know I have to get better at feeding him solids more throughout the day. :dohh:

He has a morning milk, then breakfast with weak juice, then lunch with milk, dinner with milk, then a slightly larger milk for bed. A typical feed is 4 1/2oz, then his night one is 6oz.

DS eats 6-8oz per feeding most of the time and eats 5 times a day! I tried to give him watered down juice in a sippy cup but he won't drink it.:wacko:

You would think my baby would be a chunker with how much milk he eats, doesn't make sense :shrug:

Right now he just has lunch and dinner. Once he starts eating food better I'll start offering a breakfast too.

hi everyone. I have a 4 week old baby and am breastfeeding at the mo.
I would like to start giving the baby a bottle once or twice a day (prob at night so DH can help!).
I have my pump and have already expressed before and I was wondering if anyone is able to help me. How much milk do you roughly think that I would need to pump each day for a couple of evening/night feeds? I know its a kinda how long is a piece of string question but do you think a few oz's? or more like 4-6 oz's? also, when should I express the milk for this?
I have tried to gain this information from "professionals" but its like pulling teeth out........... they just dont want to help!
Thanks so much in advance

hi everyone. I have a 4 week old baby and am breastfeeding at the mo.
I would like to start giving the baby a bottle once or twice a day (prob at night so DH can help!).
I have my pump and have already expressed before and I was wondering if anyone is able to help me. How much milk do you roughly think that I would need to pump each day for a couple of evening/night feeds? I know its a kinda how long is a piece of string question but do you think a few oz's? or more like 4-6 oz's? also, when should I express the milk for this?
I have tried to gain this information from "professionals" but its like pulling teeth out........... they just dont want to help!
Thanks so much in advance

I would imagine your baby would take around 3-4oz/feed. When I expressed just once a day along with bf I did it just before going to bed but you can do it whenever suit you (as long as baby isn't due to for a bf!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->