The mooncup.. anyone used this?

Kacie

I have a little girl! xx
Reaction score
I used to have one before having DD. If you don't know what it is, it's an alternative to tampons and towels.. basically a little plastic cup you insert and empty on a regular basis... not for everyone but more environmentally friendly (www.mooncup.co.uk).

I suffered some leakages with mine but loved not having to dispose of towels and tampons or keep buying them each month.

Anyway I am wondering whether to buy another one... but since having a baby I am pretty sure I'm a little looser down there (tmi :blush:) Has anyone used one post baby.. how have you got on with them?

xxxx

I haven't used one post-baby but used one prior to being pregnant and found it very useful.

There are two different sizes (A and B) depending on whether or not you have given birth. This link might help you decide which one to purchase:

https://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-mooncup/which-size.html

Ive only used one post pregnancy, I had a 9lb baby and 3rd degree epistomy so a lot looser than i ised to be lol!

Anyway, no leakages at all, I did have extremely heavy bleeding and heomragging, so it did over flow a few times, but never leaked.

Without my moon cup when i was bleeding at that rate i wouldnt have been able to leave the house.

I used one pre-pregnancy and it was fab! Never had any leaking problems. I found that on the first day I'd have to empty it once during the day, the rest of the time I just emptied it morning and night.

I have one, still getting used to it and using a light pad to insure against leaks.

I never used it before children so can't comment on any differences lol.

I still use the size B :flower: I had an episiotomy and a 3rd degree tear and it still fits absolutely fine. Only thing I had to do was really shorten the stem since it seemed to sit on one of my scars but apart from that it's fine xx

I purchased one a couple months ago. I havent used it yet as Im to scared ill get it stuck or something silly x

I got mine a few weeks ago, more for ttc aid but then tried it with AF and i think i like it!

I got mine a few weeks ago and even though iv only used it for one period its great, way more comfortable than tampons.

I use the diva cup. I've been using it for over 10 years. After having the baby, I finally had to move up to the larger size. I tried to use the smaller one, but I'd get a bit of leaking on the first few days of my cycle with it. I love my cup!!

i used mine both pre and post baby and use the same one. I had a c section though. my AF was extremely heavy and even now a year later still are so i need to empty a lot more often and i find this helps a lot

How does it work? Like how does it go in and what's the stem for?
I want to try as I currently use both tampons and pads and I always feel unclean :(

I have one although I haven't got used to removing it without a lot of rummaging and kerfuffle yet, as a result I stopped using it. I was actually going to give it another try the month I got my bfp, so that put the kybosh on that lol.

When I have used it, I haven't had any leaks. I only bought it post-baby - I can't remember what size I got but as I had an EMCS I think I discounted the wizard sleeve consideration, so I may have got the smaller one.

Not sure what will happen this time, I may need to get a bigger one but I definitely want to give it another go.

It's a silicon cup which you place in kind of like a tampon which catches the blood, which you can then empty, wash under the tap and replace. Its about the size of an egg cup. It last me about 12 hrs without emptying unless I'm having a very heavy time. The stem is just a way of helping to remove it, though I've cut my stem almost right off as I find it uncomfortable. The cup very squishy and bendy, you fold it up to place inside you, then it pops back in to shape. You can sterilise it after each cycle with sterilising fluid or boiling it.

I love my mooncup. I've used it probably for about 7 years now. I find it much better than tampons or pads. Much more reliable, leak wise. It holds a lot more than a tampon and can be left for longer. You don't have to carry round spares in your handbag or end up with a bathroom bin full of wrappers each month. Goodness knows how much money I've saved.

I've had 4 babies and I use the larger size cup. When I first bought it , I took a while getting the knack of positioning and once I'd found the correct place for me I now have no leaks.

The only time I find it a pain is if it needs emptying in a public toilet. You ideally need a sink with running water next to the toilet which very hard to find in public places. They say you can take a bottle of water in with you or wipe with a tissue but I've never been able to do that without a terrible mess. However since the cup lasts most of the day without being emptied it's not often I need to empty it while out. It lasts me all night well, which a tampon wouldn't.

I also believe its a healthier way than tampons. I don't think theres the toxic shock risk with the mooncup.

definately no toxic shock with mooncup- TS is a risk Associated with bacteria multiplying on an overused tampon due to what it is made of,not a problem with mooncup, have used mine for 7 years and wouldn't be without it. So much better than tampons and towels.

Ive ordered a diva cup (same idea as a moon cup) this thread has got me feeling positive about my decision. Sorry for tmi but do your fingers get bloody during insertion and when you remove it?? and how would you use for TTC? sorry if I am hijacking.

Ive ordered a diva cup (same idea as a moon cup) this thread has got me feeling positive about my decision. Sorry for tmi but do your fingers get bloody during insertion and when you remove it?? and how would you use for TTC? sorry if I am hijacking.

At the risk of even more TMI, I never found my fingers got bloody, but they did get a bit slippy with all the rummaging and general foof mucus.

When I need to remove mine, I bear down, like for a bowel movement. Then the end of the cup is visible. I take a bit of toilet paper and use that when I grab the bottom to pull it out. That way no mess on my hands.
I also only rinse with water until my period is over. I rinse with soap and water before storage and every few months soak it in hydrogen peroxide. It stays perfectly clean that way and the peroxide keeps it from staining.

After reading this im quite tempted to try it. I haven't had periods for years cause of the implant but now im back on the pill it may be worth trying it!!
Does sound a bit scary though!

I think when you first open the box the scariest bit is how the chuff am I going get it up there?? It folds down to just a little bigger than a tampon though, and as it doesn't need to go as high as a tampon, it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->