The next two months will be a battle of wills

Marie000

Reaction score
LO is 4 months old now. She is really interested in everything around her and loves to put things in her mouth. She is especially fascinated by watching us eat.

OH keeps telling me about how he can't wait to feed her. She is breastfed and doesn't like bottles, so I can understand that OH wants to get involved. I try to encourage him to play with her, give her her bath, etc. But he keeps coming back to the food thing. EVERY DAY. :dohh:

I really don't want to wean LO early. I don't see any benefits for her, only risks.
I really want to do BLW. OH says he agrees, but he doesn't want to miss out on the fun of spoon-feeding her.

OH has almost always let me take the decisions regarding the baby. I decided to breastfeed and use cloth diapers. I did all the shopping and decorated the nursery. Now that he wants to get involved, I find it hard to say no.
What's worst is that we see his best friend all the time, and he always goes to him for advice. This friend weaned his son at 4 months, so I know he'll take OH's side.

Not sure what to do. :wacko:

Surely you do what's best for your baby (waiting until she's ready) than letting your partner force her into something she's not ready for just because he's feeling 'left out'? It's pretty selfish of him to insist she's weaned early just because he's looking forward to feeding her. I'd tell him to deal with it and have nothing more to say on the matter...

I'd definitely wait until your LO is ready. I can understand your oh feeling left out but at the same time your babies health should come first. Does he know the risks involved with weaning early? Maybe that would help him understand more.

Can you take him to see a healthcare professional who can explain why weaning at 4 months is to be avoided where possible?

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the UK 'early weaning' is classed at any time between 5 and 6 months. 4 months doesn't even register in the early weaning category as it's just far too early for almost every baby.

Perhaps if someone professional explains it to him he'll listen more and it won't seem like your trying to stop his fun/

I know if I insist, he'll wait until I say she's ready. Not because he really agrees but because he hates to argue. Still I would prefer if we were on the same page, especially since it is so important to him.
As far as not spoon-feeding her, that will be really hard to convince him. I am pretty sure I will have to compromise on that.

He's not a bad guy and he is a great dad, but he finds it hard to relate to young babies. He's really looking forward to our baby growing up.

I think a lot of men are like that, they're not sure what to do with a little baby. My oh once said LO was boring! But I think he's just looking forward to when she's more interactive.

I know if I insist, he'll wait until I say she's ready. Not because he really agrees but because he hates to argue. Still I would prefer if we were on the same page, especially since it is so important to him.
As far as not spoon-feeding her, that will be really hard to convince him. I am pretty sure I will have to compromise on that.

He's not a bad guy and he is a great dad, but he finds it hard to relate to young babies. He's really looking forward to our baby growing up.

We don't spoon feed but from 6 months Ashley has had preloaded spoons of yogurt. OH loads the spoon and passes it to LO to shove in his mouth (or eye!), it was really cute when he started handing the spoon back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->