The Open University and Distance Learning thread

they should be able to, speak to a regular person on the phone, you don't actually need to speak to someone about it although they recommend it, you pretty much know what they're going to say = 120 credits is full time and will require more time than 60 credits etc, it's what I did :flower: I was too impatient when they suggested waiting til Monday for a call back :rofl:

I've rang them and everything already, they've not been that great to be honest. I ran at half five last Friday and the bloke obviously just wanted to get me off the phone and go home! Im registered for 75 points but I want to do 120. Are both your courses level 1? X

sounds like the guy I spoke to today :haha: but I refused to get off the phone until I got what I wanted :rofl: yea they're both at level 1 :flower: I've read that up to 120 credits can be at level 1 so that's what I'm doing :haha: which module did you want to add?

Im not sure if there are any 60 point level 1s. I'm doing into to social sciences and intro to counselling and the only other level 1 I can find is the one about autism. I'm waiting for the email back which should outline what my options are because it's confusing me to be honest :lol:

I agree - it's all pretty confusing :dohh: I'm doing an open degree so that I have a wide choice to pick from though I'm mostly doing science based and even that has given me enough of a headache!, I'm sure you should be able to do modules from other disciplines that are related to it though :flower:

Hi everyone, glad I stumbled across this. I am doing my masters to qualify as an archivist distance learning from Sept. I have one LO, work 4 days a week and my husband is military so we live away from family and he's away a lot so a bit nervous but I'm sure it'll work out. Hope to get the diploma done in 2 years which will qualify me hopefully by the time we are re-posted, then another year to do the dissertation to make it a masters. Has anyone here used a career development loan??

I just enrolled on Exploring science (S104) so I'll be doing 120 credits this October :) it shouldn't be too bad as lo will be going to the childminder, I just need to wait til 3 to call student finance so they can update my details - their computers are down at the moment :dohh:

That is a great module, well I did it as S103 but it's basically the same (updated). A great grounding at 60 points at level 1, really worth having done if you're going on to do any science modules at level 2 or 3 :)

120 credits is full time but if you keep organised you can definitely do it!

Hi everyone, glad I stumbled across this. I am doing my masters to qualify as an archivist distance learning from Sept. I have one LO, work 4 days a week and my husband is military so we live away from family and he's away a lot so a bit nervous but I'm sure it'll work out. Hope to get the diploma done in 2 years which will qualify me hopefully by the time we are re-posted, then another year to do the dissertation to make it a masters. Has anyone here used a career development loan??

Hiya, glad you found us :) I've not used a career development loan so can't help on that sorry. I'm sure you will manage fine with the work load though :)

As for me - I am really pleased to update that I have just accepted the BSc (Open) so can now say I am a graduate! I'm still ploughing on with my last 2, 30 point level 3 modules to get the Honours :happydance:

Thanks everyone for all the lovely posts!

xx

Wow congrats tallybee, you must be so happy!

Anyone else struggling to work over the summer? I am soooo behind and have already missed one assignment (you're allowed to miss one and get a mark based on your average scores, so my tutor told me) because we moved from Bristol to Brighton but I just can't get myself back into the working mindset over the summer! Can't wait for my proper Psychology module to start in September.

Thanks hun, yeah I'm well pleased - just been updating my linkedin profile :coffee:

Is anyone else on linkedin? I haven't got many contacts on there :lol:

Yea it's silly hard getting work done over summer hols, it really is!

Yeah what your tutor is on about, is Substitution, your lowest score is more or less taken out of the equation when they calculate the average at the end :) One of my current courses uses substitution and the other doesn't, so I've been prioritising the one that doesn't (if that makes any sense at all :lol:)

Congratulations Tallybee! That's brilliant :)

I just hope I can get the funding through on time, left it really last minute, wasn't expecting to do it till a couple of weeks ago and the department are on summer vacation now so can't get through to anyone argh!

Big congrats tallybee :dance: :dance:

glad to hear you enjoyed Exploring science, it makes me feel a bit more confident :)

what's linkedin?

Thanks :) Yea it's a great module. Did they mention a book called 'the sciences good study guide'? They recommended it when I started S103 and it's great, it's aimed at folks starting level 1 sciences, good for after level 1 as well. It's got sections on general study techniques, writing assignments, exams (not that you'll have one for S104), maths, mind mapping etc. I've still got my copy as it's been good to look back on at times :)

Linkedin is a 'professional network', kind of like a facebook for people looking to connect with people of similar professional interests. As opposed to actual FB which is random sillies :lol:

https://www.linkedin.com/home

You can upload your CV and your profile is all to do with your qualifications/experience and what you're interested in doing for future study/career :)

I have about 6 contacts :wacko:

English is not my first language and I already struggle alot with, nevermind trying to write an essay....but I'm happy to say that I have a 98.26% average in my English class :smug: :happydance:

English is not my first language and I already struggle alot with, nevermind trying to write an essay....but I'm happy to say that I have a 98.26% average in my English class :smug: :happydance:

That's brilliant! :happydance:

Just got the details through for my study school, it is 5 days, 9-5 with social events in the evening. It is 200 miles away, 40 miles from my mum's. Really don't know what to do with LO, I don't want to miss parts of it but 5 days without him will be so difficult :(

my course materials for S104 arrived today :dance:

:happydance::happydance:

Just got the details through for my study school, it is 5 days, 9-5 with social events in the evening. It is 200 miles away, 40 miles from my mum's. Really don't know what to do with LO, I don't want to miss parts of it but 5 days without him will be so difficult :(

That sounds tough, I hope you can sort something out :hugs:

my course materials for S104 arrived today :dance:

:happydance: Yay! I've only just sent my student finance form in last week so hopefully my materials will be here soon-ish (once I've put my thingy number on the OU website that is lol)

My AA100 materials came today! I love the fact that it has all the assignments in the booklet :D I wish the science one had the assignments in the booklet too!!!!

My AA100 materials came today! I love the fact that it has all the assignments in the booklet :D I wish the science one had the assignments in the booklet too!!!!

:happydance:

Yea as far as the modules all seem to have similarities through them in how they are done, there are little things that some do that you wonder why all of them aren't doing!

I'm bad for starting out a module all organised, with a folder, printing off assignments, etc etc, everything in order. Then somewhere along the line it sort of falls apart. I take the assignment out the folder to work on it, then it gets lost and I have to print it off again.... I can never find anything. My hall (study :lol:) is SWAMPED with Uni stuff :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->