• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Open University and Distance Learning thread

I think one of the mistakes people make with post graduate study (although it largely varies with the field and what you're qualified for with a degree ) is jumping straight into the masters after uni then making you over qualified for a lot of things but unqualified in the work place, I have 3 years of working in my field between uni and masters so hope this keeps me up to date educationally and in the work place...I hope! So even if you don't want to consider it right now a couple years down the line might be a different story :)

tallybee said:
I'm finishing off a stinker of a TMA, Oceanography is tough going...

Ooooo jealous lol. Oceanography is the module that appeals most to me but will be finished before I get to level 3 :(

I'm Laura btw, just enrolled on BSc Natural Science - Earth Science pathway :) I'm excited to get started but slightly jumping in at the deep end taking 90 credits all at once :/ eek.

Hey. Im starting AA100 in Oct. I revieved my course materials this evening and have read the study companian cover to cover. I have started making notes on Cleopatra and gunna download it and watch the film tomorrow to hopefully make it more clearer to me!

I'm putting this towards an honours degree in English Language and Literature and hop to go into teaching afterwards. Just read this entire thread and good to see other people are going/gone down the same route

Welcome to the group Amy-Lea :flower: yay for more people starting AA100 this october :dance: I've also been doing a few notes on Cleopatra, it took me a while to realize the reference was at the back of the chapter, I kept re-reading thinking where the hell is it :blush::haha:

day_dreamer - I know how you feel! I'll be doing 120 credits and scare myself every time I think about it :haha:

Both my materials are due to be dispatched on the 14th apparently. :dance:

Hey Amy-Lea, hope you enjoy your course and it all goes well. It's starting to get busier on this thread since everyone's student loans have gone through and materials are arriving etc. Does everyone elses modules start on the 6th of October?

Vanilla what are you doing at the same time? I want to do voices & texts too but I'm scred with it saying they strongly advise you to do the AA100 first. So I'm wondering if i wont do as good because Im doing them at the same time!

L-mine starts on 6th Oct too.

I'm also doing S104 exploring science to go towards an open degree :flower: is voices & texts a level 2? if it is there might some be things which you aren't covered because they assume you have the knowledge from level 1, I'm not sure if that's how it works though.

Theyre both level ones :) gunna ring up now.

tallybee said:
I'm finishing off a stinker of a TMA, Oceanography is tough going...

Ooooo jealous lol. Oceanography is the module that appeals most to me but will be finished before I get to level 3 :(

I'm Laura btw, just enrolled on BSc Natural Science - Earth Science pathway :) I'm excited to get started but slightly jumping in at the deep end taking 90 credits all at once :/ eek.

Yea it's a really interesting module. It's very tough going though even for a L3 module, you need to have good background... apparently they wanted to make it a 40 point module rather than a 30 pointer due to sheer volume of material you need to get through but the Uni said no.... I hear they are revamping it soon though - not sure how different it'll be.

I'm Laura too :D I was doing 90 points at once a couple of times when modules overlapped (Oct starts and Feb starts...) it was manageable. Hard work but worth it to quicken the pace of study.

Hey. Im starting AA100 in Oct. I revieved my course materials this evening and have read the study companian cover to cover. I have started making notes on Cleopatra and gunna download it and watch the film tomorrow to hopefully make it more clearer to me!

I'm putting this towards an honours degree in English Language and Literature and hop to go into teaching afterwards. Just read this entire thread and good to see other people are going/gone down the same route

:wave: Glad to see you here, I hope you enjoy the studies :)

Both my materials are due to be dispatched on the 14th apparently. :dance:

Hey Amy-Lea, hope you enjoy your course and it all goes well. It's starting to get busier on this thread since everyone's student loans have gone through and materials are arriving etc. Does everyone elses modules start on the 6th of October?

Yay, at least you know when to expect your materials now :)

I hope this thread does get busier :) it's nice to get people together who are all in the same boat!

I think one of the mistakes people make with post graduate study (although it largely varies with the field and what you're qualified for with a degree ) is jumping straight into the masters after uni then making you over qualified for a lot of things but unqualified in the work place, I have 3 years of working in my field between uni and masters so hope this keeps me up to date educationally and in the work place...I hope! So even if you don't want to consider it right now a couple years down the line might be a different story

Thanks hun :)

Ive just enrolled on a150 too eeek. Hope itsl not too much for me doing 90 x

I'm sure you'll do fine AL, if you put your mind to it. Psychology students are only allowed to do 60 points in our first year.

I wish there was this many people doing AA100 when i did it last year, seems there are alot of people doing it this year in general. >.< good luck to everyone ! I am wondering if i have over burdened myself with two level 2's this October i have had a quick look through the module text books, and i'm feeling a bit :/ eek! haha, and i haven't even ordered all of the extra text books, i ordered one titled 'the long european reformation' i had a quick attempt at it, and ended up reading the first page around 8 times and then gave up - omg it was dull :/ :dohh::dohh:

Ive made a good few notes on cleopatra and have a fair idea of what I'm going to write however I took one look at the Cezenne paintings and was like :shock: any advice on that part? I literally have nothing to say except I think theyre both ugly and ones more realistic :rofl:

I love looking at paintings, History of Art was one of the subjects I took as an AS so I can write what I think when I've had a look at it if it helps :flower:

Well that's me just submitted my final TMA, last one of my honours degree :dance:

My laptop didn't want me to get it done :rofl: it's been on the blink for a while but has now started switching off for no apparent reason :wacko: good thing I save frequently onto a USB stick and just borrowed DH's laptop to complete and submit.

I've already printed off my revision stuff, so will be ignoring the annoying laptop for now, am on my phone for browsing for now!

I think i have blocked all the art stuff from my memory lol cos i hated it! i will dig out my notes though and see if there is anything helpful in there/ any helpful websites etc from when i did it :)

Just found out I actually can do 120 credits this year so just enrolled on another module :) Just gotta get in touch with student finance and get my amount of funding changed.

Yay that's good news :) which other module are you doing Lea?

My tutor called earlier to check my materials arrived. He left a message and wants me to call him back. I have really bad social anxiety and cannot use telephones. I'm in the middle of completing my disability form to request email communications, but I don't know what to do til then :/

I have quite a bad touch of anxiety with telephones, i managed to get around it by never returning any of my tutors messages :/ and emailing them when i needed to ask something, i finished AA100 without talking to my tutor once :/ how bad is that lol! also quite rude of me i spose x

A tutor called me today as well, and I answered with a very loud HELLOOO because I thought it was my mum :blush: it made him chuckle though :haha: he sounded really nice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->