The Pearls' Book leads to another death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it has anything to do with religion...they aren't following a religion. Just because they are claiming to back up their philosophies with biblical references, well... we were given heads, hearts, and spirits for a reason. You can guarantee no version of the Christian God that they claim to follow would have given us children in order to humiliate them, break their spirits, and bend them to our will through such cold and harsh methods.

I wouldn't consider that blindly following religion, I'd consider it conveniently twisting religion.

Well, there are all types of Christianity. So I think yes it is to do with THEIR religion.

ETA: Anyways, how can you say it doesn't have to do with religion? It's a group of people following what they believe to be true in the bible. Obviously THEIR version of God is fine with it and encourages it to teach respect.

Well, I think there's a difference between following a religion, and using 'religion' as a justification for what you do. I'm simply saying, this isn't a case of someone 'blindly following a religion'.... it's a case of someone basically....making up their own, I guess. :shrug:
I see 'blindly following a religion' as failing to question and research the teachings of a specific religion, but following it anyways. But the Pearls are the ones who are setting the boundaries here, so what are they blindly following? They're leading.

As for those who buy into the Pearls' philosophies... again, they aren't blindly following a religion, per se. The Pearls claim to be 'Christian'. They don't claim to be leaders of a new religion. So these parents... They're buying into a specific parenting philosophy, which, as someone mentioned before, you have to have some wiring wrong already to even buy into it. I don't actually think it's a blind following, because it is SO against the norm. In order to really adopt a parenting philosophy so extreme, it must resonate with you in some way much more than typically accepted parenting styles of today. So... not so blind. Just strange that it clicks, or resonates with some as 'the golden answer'. *shudder*

Well I mean blindly going against natural instincts, like someone else said. A normal mothers instinct would say not to do this.

I watched an interview with some parents that do this type of thing, and they really just buy into the fact that the bible says its ok.

Well I mean blindly going against natural instincts, like someone else said. A normal mothers instinct would say not to do this.

I watched an interview with some parents that do this type of thing, and they really just buy into the fact that the bible says its ok.

But the bible doesn't say its ok to use the methods the pearls have adopted at all..... “The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.”—Prov. 13:24. Its speaking of loving discipline (which for some may include a swift spank to enforce authority) not beating up children

A wise parent recognizes that there are various ways to correct or punish a child. Sometimes just a firm word will do. In other cases a disobedient child may be briefly isolated. When a child spills or breaks something through childish carelessness or irresponsibility, often it is most effective to make the child clean it up or work to replace it, if feasible. Of course, flexibility is important, adapting the discipline to the situation and the child; what works with one may not work with another.

Yet, yes the Bible shows, spanking does have value as an occasional form of discipline, especially for young children but its up to each parent as to whether they use spaking as a form of showing authority and correcting bad behavior ( i have chosen as a christian not to use spanking :) ).

All around us we see the sad consequences of excessive and misplaced permissiveness. So we should be able to appreciate the truthfulness of the Bible’s statement that “he who loves [his child] is careful to discipline him.” (Prov. 13:24)

The bible clearly warns against fits of anger, abuse and violence......these are what the pearls are practicing, not loving discipline.....

I consider the thing they run called the "no greater joy ministry" to be some sort of cult religious following. In fact look at their facebook page where Micheal has a statement even joking how he beat the dog as he has that in his book to.
https://www.facebook.com/NoGreaterJoyMinistries

in fact check out the comments they delete and ban bad ones by the way very fast.

If it weren't for your ministry I'd have a brood of brats that I would like or find joy in. Thank you! Praying for you!
You will be blessed for the persecution. God is good!

They claim their book is taken out of context then turn around and do freely say they beat kids with objects just dont call it abuse they call it discipline and say its cruel not to do it. They are crazy and barbaric . Nothing I read was out of context as they said it themselves several times when questioned about the book.

Religion is no excuse to abuse another human being but even if it was, there is not a single verse in the Bible that supports corporal punishment for a young child. The Hebrew word which is translated "rod" usually means authority or guidance and on the few occasions it does refer to physically hitting someone, it only ever applies to an adult or young man, never a child. Unfortunately people like the Pearls choose to interpret it how they like and ignore the original meaning. So yes, I agree with JackiePed that it's conveniently twisting religion.

But the bible doesn't say its ok to use the methods the pearls have adopted at all..... “The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.”—Prov. 13:24. Its speaking of loving discipline (which for some may include a swift spank to enforce authority) not beating up children

A wise parent recognizes that there are various ways to correct or punish a child. Sometimes just a firm word will do. In other cases a disobedient child may be briefly isolated. When a child spills or breaks something through childish carelessness or irresponsibility, often it is most effective to make the child clean it up or work to replace it, if feasible. Of course, flexibility is important, adapting the discipline to the situation and the child; what works with one may not work with another.

Yet, yes the Bible shows, spanking does have value as an occasional form of discipline, especially for young children but its up to each parent as to whether they use spaking as a form of showing authority and correcting bad behavior ( i have chosen as a christian not to use spanking :) ).

All around us we see the sad consequences of excessive and misplaced permissiveness. So we should be able to appreciate the truthfulness of the Bible’s statement that “he who loves [his child] is careful to discipline him.” (Prov. 13:24)

The bible clearly warns against fits of anger, abuse and violence......these are what the pearls are practicing, not loving discipline.....

unless I'm wrong, these people usually read KJV (or any bible they believe came from Syrian text from Antioch...except certain group who think KJV 1611 IS the bible and nothing else ) . From my experience in strict churches, If you read off of newer bible, they think the verses are corrupted therefore your interpretation is corrupted too. Just saying.

they should read colossian 3:21

When it comes down to it, the Bible was just a book written by a group of old, white men. :shrug:

I have a KJV bible given to me by a friend and i asked him was that what his bible said and he says no. Hes a very good man wouldnt hurt a fly.

unless I'm wrong, these people usually read KJV (or any bible they believe came from Syrian text from Antioch...except certain group who think KJV 1611 IS the bible and nothing else ) . From my experience in strict churches, If you read off of newer bible, they think the verses are corrupted therefore your interpretation is corrupted too. Just saying.

they should read colossian 3:21

I use the KJV and yes I do believe it's the most accurate translation when compared to the original scrolls, although like all translations it has some faults. In the KJV Proverbs 12:24 says "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." As I said before, the Hebrew word translated "rod" would be more accurately translated "authority" or "guidance", and definitely has nothing to do with using a rod to hit a child.

When it comes down to it, the Bible was just a book written by a group of old, white men. :shrug:

Not all of the Bible writers were particularly old and I'm fairly sure none of them were white!

I, too read KJV, but I also take responsibility to study the origin of words, the meaning in context, etc... I'd rather read the closest original version than just take the modern interpretation and possibly dilute meaning. (Tbh, I don't think other translated versions really DO lose THAT much meaning in their more modern translations....but I trust my own mind and linguistic ability, so I take the original version. )

I never once, not even as a child, took verses such as Proverbs 12:24 to mean "If you don't whack your child with a stick, you don't love them." Even as a child or teenager, the intended meaning of that verse seemed like a no-brainer.
Particularly because the bible mentions "the rod" elsewhere as a metaphorical 'straight and narrow', and as a way to refer to discipline and accountability. Even in my particular church (LDS) we refer often to 'hold to the iron rod', and it CERTAINLY has nothing to do with hitting another person, but has to do with our own responsibility to keep ourselves on the 'straight and narrow', so to speak.

Funny that we bother to debate this, when it's pretty much accepted by all of us that the Pearls and those that subscribe to their teachings are very, very off-base.

:rofl: I'm a Pagan so yeah.........I think it's funny how they took all the Pagan holidays and changed them to Christianity based ones to get the Pagans to worship one god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back