The pushing stage...

I was admitted to the hospital at 39 weeks because my doctor wanted to induce me into labour. I got the gel applied and did not feel the contractions initially.

4 hours after gel application, i felt severe backache and my legs also started aching. my doctor asked me "did i insert the gel into your legs?" lol

i started feeling contractions - but they were very frequent - like hardly 15 seconds gap between contractions. when i was 7 cm dilated (that was 1.5 hours after feeling the contractions) i got an epidural and started pushing.

I live in Chennai (India) and ours is one of the very few hospitals which allow husbands into the labour room.

i pushed from 2:45 pm to 4:30 pm with my eyes closed and with so much of concentration on pushing that i did not notice my child's first cry!! the doctor told us "congratulations! you have a baby girl!!" our bundle of joy arrived at 4:34 pm (using outlet forceps).

the funniest (now funny, but disgusting at that time) thing was when my husband asked my doctor "doctor, is this a vaginal birth or a c-section?" :haha:

I love this thread, its mad to see how different everyones experiences are.

With my DS I had an epidural so was pushing from midday to when he was born at 1.17pm.

I was gutted I never felt the 'urge' to push and was determined I would if I ever had another one.

7yrs later and when giving birth to my DD it was totally natural and I COULD NOT stop myself from pushing after my waters had broken. It was like my body took over and I just kind of screamed and went with it! I magine my amazment tho when later reading my notes and finding out Stage 2 only lasted 10 mins...go me!!! :happydance:

2 very different stories and the moral is...BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR :rofl:

I was induced at 13 days overdue. Was in active labour for 12 hours, very painful. My LO's heart rate was dropping really badly and the doctors were standing there just about to use forceps when I felt the urge to push. I did a little practise push as I was so out of it on gas and air I couldn't speak to tell them I needed to push. They saw I was ready and shouted for me to push, did an episiotomy as she needed to be born as fast as possible. And I pushed her out in literally 3 minutes! Infact I didn't realise that was unusually fast until I read this thread lol! :)

With my DS2, pushing was incredible. Total active labor was 3 hours, baby was out in two pushes. First push got him fully into birth canal, and second push was his head and body, he came shooting out! Pretty sure pushing stage only lasted 5 minutes max, and was such a relief.

It took around half an hour for me to push LO out. I'd been in labour for 13hrs (my first) and I put the quick pushing down to all the raspberry leaf tea I drank!

I'd had the urge to push from about 7cm though as he was back to back and only turned right at the last minute.

My first was pushed out in 9 minutes.
My second baby was 6 minutes
and my new little man was 3 minutes!!
:mrgreen:

1st baby, 6lb 14oz and a 10 minute pushing stage.
2nd baby, 8lb 5oz and a 8 minute pushing stage.
3rd baby, 9lb 81/2 and no pushing stage, he fell out as I got to hospital.
4th baby, 7lb2oz no timed pushing stage as his head just emerged and then he flew out.
5th baby, 7lb4oz 1 minute recorded pushing stage.

I was induced and put on pitocin with this baby. My body overreacted to the pitocin and was contracting to much. I went from 4cm to complete in 40 minutes. I did have an epidural, but it didn't work from my waist down and the part that did work only lasted 30 min. The urge to push and pressure was horrible. Even the pushing was horrible because I only had like 10 second breaks between contractions. This was more than an hour after they stopped the pitocin too. I pushed for 30 min and screamed and cried and told them to put me out and give me a c section. This baby was a good 2 lbs bigger than any of my other kids. Usually the head coming out was the most painful part, but this time I almost enjoyed the sensation. I think it was a relief. When I felt the head come out I knew I was almost done. I just said thank god when he came out. I ended up having two small tears that only required a stitch each. Of course it was all so worth it and I would and might do it again!

Wow that was exactly how It was for me. The pitocin, the epi, the painful pushing all of it. Most people don't know what I mean when I try to describe it. Well minus the end result. After 3 hours of that horrible painful pushing I finally had to go in for a section. But yea those few hours were some of the worst hours of the whole thing for me. Also unlike you I don't think I'll be doing that again at all!

Pushing only took me 30 minutes. My whole labor took 12 hours, that is just an estimation. I heard the "pop" and started leaking at almost 3am, and when we went into the hospital I was only 1cm dilated! Then when they checked me hours later I was only 1 1/2 cms. But once I got my epidural, it shot up and the next time they checked me I was 8cm! Then it jumped to 9 and then to 10.

Pushing wasn't all that bad for me. I couldn't feel a thing. I had great encouragement. Everyone was telling me how great I was doing. I did 3 pushes each contraction. Hold my breath for 10 seconds and pushing. I could seriously feel my veins in my forehead popping out, ha ha. I think someone said my face was turning purple.

I was intent on popping him out! My doctor barely made it! My nurse almost delivered, which I would of been fine with since she is most likely the reason I didn't tear very much.

Labor started at almost 3am, and I had him at 3:04pm. :)

My doctor didn't even come in till 7:30 am and my son was out at 7:44 am. So a good portion of that 14 minutes was prep. I'm told that I pushed 3 times before his head was out then ones more and I had a baby. I pushed really hard though. I popped a vessel in my eye. I also had a lot of popped blood vessels in my neck. It tooked like someone just left giant hickies on my neck.

My doctor didn't even come in till 7:30 am and my son was out at 7:44 am. So a good portion of that 14 minutes was prep. I'm told that I pushed 3 times before his head was out then ones more and I had a baby. I pushed really hard though. I popped a vessel in my eye. I also had a lot of popped blood vessels in my neck. It tooked like someone just left giant hickies on my neck.

Mega ouch to the popped vessels!

The more of these I read, the more I realise how crap I was! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->