The qualifying week to get maternity leave

Pearls18

Reaction score
You have to have worked up to and through the 25th week of pregnancy in order to obtain maternity for SMP and my employer’s one, I am planning on going on maternity leave on the 29th week, having 3 weeks of annual leave prior to that and for my qualifying week I will be on paid study leave with my employer’s consent and support to attend a study school for my masters. Does my study time and annual leave still class as working through my qualifying period??

I would have though so. Are they paying you while you are studying?

Re read. Yes, as you are still being paid by your employer at usual rate.

I should just PM you my HR queries lol, thanks :) x

Ah well there we go, will come straight to you next time lol :)

The only thing I would clarify (is it a hypothetical senerio?) is; are you doing it full time, and they have funded and being paid for it and not doing work at all, so when you decide to go on Maternity leave you will stop the course too? Or is it Part time, which they have funded, and you still work on your free days?

I guess the thing is, if you continue throughout after the birth etc. and they are paying you still, there is no cut off date per se, ie you are still getting paid? Which means you will technically still be employed and will affect you SMP. Does that make sense?

I will be continuing it through my maternity and beyond. They don't fully fund it, but they fully support it, meaning they give me paid study leave so the week I am off I am being paid as normal I just have to have a special form signed by my manager and head of department. They partially fund, I get a little bit from my department.s budget and have just been awarded a bigger chunk from the higher ups. I have a signed staff development thing saying they support me.

It is a distance learning course I do in my own time but get a set amount of study leave (30 odd days for the whole course) and il be using some of those days that week.

Then yes, you are employed still, and counts towards your qualifying period. Basically you just have to decide when you stop working as per normal to start your SMP, which is when you will stop work, but continue studying. Good luck! Its a tough one with a baby, but totally doable!

Thanks, the reason I am taking maternity so early is to be able to study full time for a bit before baby is born to catch up on what I will slow down on when they're born, so fingers crossed I will stay on track......ah so naive haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->