The "So what do you do?" question

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
So I went out with my friend and some of her other friends that I'd not met before on Friday night. We're all chatting away and having a great time and then out comes the "so what do you do?" question. I've not had it since my maternity leave ended and I decided to be a proper SAHM.

Is it me? It felt really odd to say "I'm a stay at home Mum" and watch their faces freeze in horror.

Do people judge you if you don't work or am I being paranoid? Anyone else feel like this?

My mum used to reply with 'I'm a mobile dishwasher!'

I found this as well, it almost as if its a dirty word now, or that we are lazy. Funny how it has completely swung round eh? I mean it use to be the other way round you went to work and people would freeze in horror, personally I love that there is the choice (although sometimes finaces mean tere isnt but hope ykwim).

I dont have this problem, because im young people assume that I stay at home and live off benefits. However, i work part time and do volunteer work..so Id kind of like people to ask me that question every now and then.

I hate that question too! I've stayed at home since my maternity finished after I had the twins, and they're coming up for 5, and I will continue to stay at home until this baby I'm expecting starts school, which will be another 5 years. I answer that I'm a stay at home mum, and I get looks as if I'm lazy or just having kids as an excuse not to have a job or to get extra money, which is totally not true as we don't get a lot anyway since my husband earns good money!

people think i sit watching Jeremy Kyle...

they say things like 'oh, that must be easy' and 'you must have loads of free time...'

lol, clueless twits. People in this house seem to have the opinion that it's easy and I should clean up after everyone because im here all day and have more time, LOL!

Ignore it.. silly.

well I didn't work before I had my son, so I totally understand. Most of the time I could make people laugh by just answering 'oh I don't' to the what do you do question.

I don't think u can win either way to be honest. If u dont work people assume your lazy,and sponging off the governement- when actually its just damn hard to find work to work around kiddies! Then if u work full time as a mum people think thats unfair on the baby and your slated just as bad..whats a mum to do? lol x

I reply with the "stay at home mom" with pride.

I dont think there is anything wrong with working mothers and most have to..... and/or just enjoy working but I love my job and I'm not be ashame of it or care what others think. Some times I think my job is much harder the any 'ol 9-5 because I work 24/7.... and I wouldn't triad it for anything else.

IMO

Am I classed a SAHM? I mean I'm on the telephone to online banking of all people 'you have one dependant is that right' ...yes ....'awww how old?' hello I'm on the phone to sort my money out here :lol: 'you back at work' ...yes I work from home ...and people seem to think thats pretty easy then! Its not its draining tbh not sure about other peoples sah jobs but I get spots of being distracted, can't think, concentrate etc. even if Stu has her.

Based on my circumstances where we both are at home, both work from home any Mum who can get up have baby up fed, dressed, get ready themselves and be in work by 9 I say woman power :lol: I know if I wasn't sharing the load of Caitlin I'd be drained and that too is woman power :thumpup: and should be proud being at home with your babies being their main carer as well as looking after a house & lets face it the hubby/OH it's not sitting down watching TV all day some people just don't have the financial ability to take these options I guess so are shocked when others do maybe?

I think alot of people do think your lazy if your a sahm but mostly these people are people that havnt had children and dont know how busy you are and personally ive found that being a mum is a lot harder than when i was working full time and my job is quiet stressfull at times i think being a mum is a 24 hour job, but im due back to work in january and ive decided to only go back for 1,2 or 3 days depending on what they say as i love my job but i love being a mum too and i couldnt leave him 5 days a week id miss him too much xxx

when people ask what i do with my day i say ....

'i do as many loads of laundry as possible, i get my children and husband up,fed and dressed, make my hubbys lunch, do all the dishes, vacuum and mop the floors, take out the trash, collect more laundry from around the house, feed the pets, play with the children, pay any bills that come in the post....

and thats all before 9AM....

what do YOU do before 9AM????'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back