The tax credits change 16hrs to 24hrs min

erm, i know my husband works 50 hour weeks for 10k a year at the moment, which will next year be going up to 12k, but for the moment it is pretty hard

If companies are offering sixteen hours a week because thats the cut off, they will soon up them to 24 hours a week wont they???

But seriously, its not HARD to find a few hours work a week, do some cleaning, typing, whatever.

Where on earth offers 4 hours a week work :dohh:

And my OH works about the same as yours.

I think how you feel about your situation is affecting your opinion on this tbh.

Another point of view of this, surely this will make jobs harder to find for those looking?
Those already in 16 hrs a week are going to be hunting for 8hrs extra either in their own company or else were
And employers who may have 2 small jobs going may cut it too one to make it a 24 hr job rather then make it 2 part timers,
Or those who are in 16 hrs who can't get the extra hours may quit, meaning more looking for those rare 24 hrs plus!!

I think its wrong that those making the effort to work, who may be unable to find a job with longer hours due to the current climate are being punished rather than those who choose NOT to work at all.
By this i do not mean carers, those with disablitys, single moms etc. I mean people who just don't want to work and get paid for that instead.

I think its wrong that those making the effort to work, who may be unable to find a job with longer hours due to the current climate are being punished rather than those who choose NOT to work at all.
By this i do not mean carers, those with disablitys, single moms etc. I mean people who just don't want to work and get paid for that instead.

totally agree with this!

I would love to spend a day with David Cameron to ask him what the hell goes through his mind I really would!

The promises he made, made me vote for him! Now I feel like an idiot!

Dont think its fair to rubbish my opinion because my husband is on a low wage.

I am Very political, so much in fact i plan to do a degree in politics and economics in the next few years.

I do think that many people ONLY work 16hrs because they get their wage topped up to a full-time wage with tax credits. It happens A Lot

I think it will set a bar, both for workers AND employers, whereby 16hr a week jobs will not be offered so readily and instead people will be offered and seek out 24 hour a week jobs.

I'm not disregarding your opinion I just feel like you are comparing a million different situations to your own and making it sound easy when it isn't.

I do think there are a lot of dads working part time that will now be pushed into full time work, but I also think there will be a lot of dads working part time that will now give up because they have no intention of working that much and being away from their families that much.

The government are still going to be paying out just as much money :shrug:

I just realised how stereotypical that was, obviously some mums too :lol:

Dont think its fair to rubbish my opinion because my husband is on a low wage.

I am Very political, so much in fact i plan to do a degree in politics and economics in the next few years.

I do think that many people ONLY work 16hrs because they get their wage topped up to a full-time wage with tax credits. It happens A Lot

I think it will set a bar, both for workers AND employers, whereby 16hr a week jobs will not be offered so readily and instead people will be offered and seek out 24 hour a week jobs.

I dont think that many people work 16 hours because they get their wage topped up. I worked 20 hours a week because thats what my boss needed, not 24.
If I was still working what should I say? Sorry boss, they are cutting my tax credits so I need you to give me another 4 hours? I don't set the rules because I am not the boss hence the reason I work for someone.

Surely though if one parent is staying at home and the other is doing 20 hours a week, it should be relatively easy to find 4 hours working? I mean you could literally do half an hours hoovering a day 4 days a week!

Surely though if one parent is staying at home and the other is doing 20 hours a week, it should be relatively easy to find 4 hours working? I mean you could literally do half an hours hoovering a day 4 days a week!

That would require being self employed, keeping receipts, pay slips, making sure everything is correct.
It's just going to make it harder for people to find work because if they aren't looking for that amount of hours then its a lose lose situation.

That would require being self employed, keeping receipts, pay slips, making sure everything is correct.
It's just going to make it harder for people to find work because if they aren't looking for that amount of hours then its a lose lose situation.

Question, would self employed say 8 hrs a week mean getting topped up? how does it work does any one know? Not saying its what we will do, just something we are discussing, OH has stated he is going to take the job regardless and we will deal with things as they come along

yes definitely, and being self employed on such a casual basis is 'not' hard, there is no tax to declare until you are earning 6k, which you wouldnt be, it would literally be buying a reciept book to prove you were doing the hours and then declaring it to tax credits.

yes definitely, and being self employed on such a casual basis is 'not' hard, there is no tax to declare until you are earning 6k, which you wouldnt be, it would literally be buying a reciept book to prove you were doing the hours and then declaring it to tax credits.

thanks thats handy info, there is something he has been wanting to do for a while but hasn't had the confidence, so thinking work till april and in that time save and then get into the self employed side of things as well to work round his hours :)

If i were you, i would head to the jobcenter and tell them your plans, they should be able to give you some more info about it all... make sure you dont get a numpty though ;)

lol I don't think asking at the front desk can I please see a non numpty advisor would go down to well! :p But yes I think ill give them a call in the morning x

hahah! Maybe a bit more diplomatic... like

'Hi there, i would like to make an appointment with someone familiar with becoming self employed on a part-time casual basis'

;)

Things like Avon may work to get it up to 24hrs..My friends OH is contacted to 18hrs a week now as that is all his employer can offer..whereas 6mths ago he was doing 18hrs and a extra 20 extra a week but now there isnt the work. I know shes looking into doing something like Avon as then she can bump up the hours so they dont lose the WTC, she can do it from home thus look after the Kids at the same time should her OH be offered extra hours and it will bump their earnings up.
Its very easy to say couples 'should' be doing more than 16hrs a week between them but in reality there's often a valid reason why they are only doing that amount..

I think thats very silly of them as possibly a lot of familys will have to stop working just to afford to live if the hours dont exist they will. be better off not working at all screwed up system

I think it's a crock of absolute shite, to be frank. You think this is bad... over the next 4-5 years it gets even worse.

To qualify for the WTC element of the new universal credit scheme, a couple will need for at least one person to be working 35 hours per week. If they work over 24 hours then you will still qualify, but you will basically be forced to go to the jobcentre, like any other jobseeker, to look for employment whether that's another small job or a totally new one. And THEN the second person will need to be working at least 20 hours per week, or be subject to the same conditions, unless they are full time carer to at least one child under 5.

It absolutely SICKENS me. I also detest the idea that people should just be going out and picking up any old cleaning job. Hello... what about those of us who are self employed and put our every free moment into our own projects? Unless we are earning 35 hours worth of minimum wage, we'll be subject to the same conditions. It's not always a set income and how is anyone supposed to get something like that off of the ground under these preposterous conditions? It is incredibly demotivating and a poor move for the economy. Surely such things should be encouraged?

And shift workers? How do they fit in another job around unpredicatable hours? Even assuming these jobs exist... in this town, I can assure you, they do not.

ARGH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->