The tax credits change 16hrs to 24hrs min

you know back in the olden days people went out to work, got paid, and that was it

you know back in the olden days people went out to work, got paid, and that was it

Hang on a minute....people actually went out to work?!

I think it's now turned into a 'benefits' culture & people assume that it's their god given right to get more money from the state. I see tax credits as a bonus, I don't expect to get them but it's nice that I do & we have made sure that we don't 'rely' on them because of this exact reason, you don't know when they might stop.

that is a good point and true, however in the good ole days there wasn't as many immigrants over here taking our jobs and there wasn't as many british jobs (if any) being advertised in other countries!
Plus there was more factories making things, nowadays these factories are shutting down and going aboard losing us jobs!

that is a good point and true, however in the good ole days there wasn't as many immigrants over here taking our jobs and there wasn't as many british jobs (if any) being advertised in other countries!
Plus there was more factories making things, nowadays these factories are shutting down and going aboard losing us jobs!

i dont know i think immigrants that are working are contributing to our economy at least as opposed to draining it like so many british born do

But back in the old days families could afford to live on one wage

i agree 100% and the government have screwed the country so badly that it is impossible now to do so

But back in the old days families could afford to live on one wage

Not just afford to live, also save to buy a house, have a holiday in the Isle of Wight once a year etc etc

Take for example a postie, your average postie earns 17k a year

thats 7k under the national average.

So the likelihood of a postie being able to support a family, without benefits, its slim to none.

We have tax credits because our economy is aboslutely screwed up the bottom.

'back in the olden days' we didnt have massive multi-national companies taking our monies and putting them into offshore accounts in different countries where they dont have to pay tax

back in 'the olden days' we did not have a corrupt government who allowed said big multinational companies to avoid paying council tax, whilst they received nearly triple the average amount of council tax for a small independant shop.

back 'in the olden days' if you were a pharmacist, you could work hard and run YOUR OWN PHARMACY, making sure that you had a home for your family, that your children had somewhere to work when they grew up and that you had an asset to support you into your old age and for your children to inherit

now if your a pharmacist, you work in Boots. For a low wage with no benefits, you work for 40 years and you dont OWN anything, you have just basically been a slave for a multinational AND NOT EVEN GOT BASIC LIVING EXPENSES IN THE PROCESS

So please, have a bit of perspective, immigrants have been coming to this tiny island for centuries, had they not we would all be marrying our brothers

the problem, is capitalism, its the people at the top who take ALL the money and throw the scraps to us 'minions'

feeble thats exactly what i ment, i think my comment was picked up wrong

Cool Suzi - didnt mean to attack you hun just feel very strongly about this...

I'm just about to do a degree in politics and economics ;)

Can we start slagging off Thatcher now :haha:

no its ok i just realised after reading comments i didnt explain myself i just assumed that it would be read the way it was written :dohh:

You did sound like an old rich person on 60k a year with your slippers on scoffing the 'underclasses' LOL

but I know thats not what you meant xx sarcasm is hard to put over on tinternet x

Can we start slagging off Thatcher now :haha:

I'll give you my FIL's number.....that's his favourite pasttime! He worked in heavy industry in 70s/80s so you can imagine his take on Thatcher! Lol

I have had to delay my daily walk into town because the 10.15 bus outside the cinema swings round the corner and i get a face full of Thatcher :( :(

So i make sure i leave the house a little bit later or it puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day :haha:

Something has to change and someone will always get the raw end of the stick but us as a country have become far to acustomed to the govt going oh you cant do that? Well hey heres some money!

If we never do anything we can never even attempt to fix this country!

and no I dont earn 60K a year, I dont work but my Oh does and he works 40+hours a week for a low wage but we manage

Ffs

I made the 60k n slippers comment as I was having a laugh with suzi talking about the olden days!

And the problem is not government welfare to those trying to work, it's the illegal nature of the people at the top of the pyramid, it's called capitalism

Still, I dont necessarily think people should be doing 16hrs a week and recieving the same money as someone on a full-time wage

The benefits system is still in place, if your recieving less than 105 as a couple to live on they will top you up in other ways.

Ffs

I made the 60k n slippers comment as I was having a laugh with suzi talking about the olden days!

And the problem is not government welfare to those trying to work, it's the illegal nature of the people at the top of the pyramid, it's called capitalism

Still, I dont necessarily think people should be doing 16hrs a week and recieving the same money as someone on a full-time wage

The benefits system is still in place, if your recieving less than 105 as a couple to live on they will top you up in other ways.

Just thought I would say my 60k comment was not anything to do with what may have been mentioned on this thread already I barely skimmed it lol

Cool!

I don't think every one who believes tax credits being cut is a good move is a highly paid Tory!

promise!

I'm actually surprised to find that there are couples out there who work less than 24hrs a week. I understand that currently the job market is not fantastic but that still seems very little between two people. I thought the idea behind working tax credits was to encourage people to work but just 16 hours a week between two people seems too little in my opinion.

Someone commented that people out there don't hire people for just 4 hours a week. I am currently looking for some 3/4hrs of domestic help a week for when I go back to work fulltime.

No, we don't earn a fortune and I am going back to work so that we can keep a roof over our heads and food on the table but we have decided to allocate some of the (very little) spare money to making sure that we do get to maximise time spent with our son in the evenings and weekend.

Exactly... 4 hours is easy to fill, hoovering for the old lady down the road, tiny bit of typing...

Gosh loads of things!

So is this just aimed at couples or will it affect single working mothers working 16hrs aswell?

seems like a lot of couples treat the 16 (soon to be 24) hour thing as a target rather than a minimum

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->