The Weaning Advice & Information Thread

So callum is constantly sucking on his fists and dribbling and he is feeding like every couple of hours, hes on hungry baby milk too. He is also waking up for more feeds through the night, was just having one bottle now needs two.

Does this mean that he is gonna need to be put on solids soon? I know with nicole she had to be out on solids at 3 months because she was having a bottle every hour.

Yeah, I was looking at that thinking the same about Ryan... he ticks all the boxes, but I'm going to hold off solids for as long as I can. x

Think i might try callum on baby rice once he is 4 months, see how he goes. If he doesnt take to it then atleast i'll have tried and will know if he truly is ready for them or not.

Babies go through big growth spurts at 3 and 4 months, which can make them seem ready for solids. Best thing to do is hold out for a few days after their behaviour changes (about a week) and see whether it calms back down again :)

Is it true you should not start weaning until baby is taking a full 9oz bottle for a handful of weeks?

That's not something that I've heard, but it would make sense that you don't start weaning unless your babe is on as much milk as they can take and are still hungry.

Hmmm

Going to have to speak to HV

Caitlin is still taking small bottles - between 5oz, 6oz and 7oz at a push. Plenty & is growing well is a lil chubby chops but I get the feeling she may still be hungry but gives up hence the fact she to me (comparing to others) isn't taking enough per feed but feed plenty of times (every 3 hours still).

Isn't 3 hours normal though? She started sleeping through didn't she? When Els was sleeping through she'd feed (breastfeed) 2 hourly during the day.

Sleeps through quite a bit now sometimes the wrong times :lol:

Its like if I give her a bottle at 12 that will take an hour then at 3 she's almost certain to demand another so really 2 hours between feeds I guess but if that hour is normal then quantity seems to be worrying - well comparing to other Mums comments on how much their LO drinks that are younger or around same age as Caitlin. If you see what I'm saying :blush:

I'm not too sure when to start weaning Oliver, he's nearly 4months and i certainly wouldnt start before then.. he doesnt really seem ready yet in my opinion..he's only taking 5oz 4hourly and he sleeps through the night..i wouldnt wanna wean him before he's taking a full 9oz bottle. But cus he's on sma staydown cus of his reflux he's v constipated, so i thought maybe i should wean him asap for that reason. Will help his reflux aswell. x

How do I Know my Baby is Ready?​
• Your baby doesn’t last as long between milk feeds.
• Your baby was sleeping through the night and is now waking up again.
• Your baby seems hungry after a milk feed but doesn’t want more milk.
• Your baby has started sucking on their fists and dribbling more.
• Your baby is now six months old and you haven’t started solid foods yet.

in addition to this my books says, that after a study of xy the human being is ready to eat solids at the age of four month!

your baby should have doubled its birthweight before introducing solids, as from solids it will not get out as much than from milk and the weight growth will slow down at first (possibly due to the digestive system not fully developed?)

as well, if your baby puts objects in its mouth and if it starts to show interest in what you are doing when you eat or drink, even may grap after your fork and has lost the reflex to push things out of the mouth.

as I am persuaded now, that allergies are coming from vaccines (they just don't want to admit it, but fact is, since introducing vaccinations allergies and cancer are on the rise!!!), I do not believe in waiting until month 6 to prevent food allergies, but believe in the language of my baby!

Juleika is drooling a lot, sucking her fists, she is hungry constantly and it seems the breastmilk doesn't satisfy her anymore.

she observes with great interest when I eat or drink and if we give her water with a spoon she enjoys it a lot.

and in addition to this, she clicks her tongue and when on the breast she pushes her face into it, as if she wants to tell me, I want to have a bite and here isn't enough for me anymore!

for me it def looks like, she wants to eat :baby:

we only cannot tick "Your baby was sleeping through the night and is now waking up again", but as I was solely bf and she is a tiny baby, who's stomach can't hold as much, it is purely natural, she will wake up for one feed per night; and as well "Your baby is now six months old and you haven’t started solid foods yet" were I do not pay attention to :baby:

tomorrow it's her birthday and she will get the taste of a banana :happydance: as I read this is a easy-to-digest fruit, which you can start with :hi:

anybody heard something different?

ps: the nurse at our surgery said, nowadas, they say waiting until six month to prevent obesity :baby:

so looks like, they all don't know what they are talking about and everybody says sth different :hi:

The only thing I'd warn you about banana is the poos. My poor mother thought my brother had "banana worms" when she gave him banana. It's just the fibres look a bit funny in the nappy!

Callums feeding is so random, some feeds he will demolish a 7oz bottle in what seems like seconds and other times he will have a 5oz bottle at say 10 and then want another 5oz at 12. I must admit i gave him a tiny tiny piece of banana and he absolutely loved it.

wanted to add, according to my book another indication is when baby can sit up well when assisted and can hold head steadily.

considered that they say 5 hours sleeping in a row is sleeping through for a baby, she apparently slept throught (the record was 8 hours)!

over the last period of time, she normally always slept unleast 5 hours in a row!

only lately she started to wake up after shorter time already.

so def looks like she is ready :baby:

what you mean by banana poo, Helen?

does it make the stool more thick? I would appreciate this, as Juleika's stool is still very thin that neither pampers nor huggies are entirely safe :baby:
in fact, if she poos, I have to change her immediately to prevent ending up with leakage!

I gave her banana for lunch today and she absolutely loved it! she ate nearly half a banana, never would have thought she would eat that much the very first time! hopefully it was not too much and she gets constipated now???

it was such a joy to see her eating it :happydance:

your baby should have doubled its birthweight before introducing solids, as from solids it will not get out as much than from milk and the weight growth will slow down at first (possibly due to the digestive system not fully developed?)

Good grief, going by that Kaya would have to be 18lb before she starts solids! Kaya's not ready yet, but I agree that your baby will tell you when they're ready.

I heard that the guideline should be between four to six month, as in between this time period the digestive system changes and starts to be able to digest solids! only nobody can exactly tell when this is the case for each individual baby!

so, I def would go after what baby shows you :hi:

Moving On​
• Number of meals – Once your baby is eating 5-6 teaspoons at one meal, increase it to two, then three meals a day.
• Flavours – Give your baby lots of different tastes. The more flavours your baby experiences, the less fussy they are likely to be later on in life. It is particularly important to give savoury flavours (vegetables, meats, etc).
• Keep trying – Your baby may not take to a flavour straight away; try it several times before deciding they do not like it, wait a few weeks and try that flavour again.
• Iron rich foods – these are very important. Once they are used to the spoon, introduce meat, chicken and fish if you eat these as a family. If you are a vegetarian, make sure you introduce pulses (peas, beans and lentils). Some cereals are also fortified with iron.

Practical Tips​
• Babies learn by copying what you do. It is important that your baby can see you eat.
• Let them use their hands to eat their food as it is a good way for them to explore.
• Try and be at the same height as your baby when feeding them.
• Avoid distractions like television as your baby can only concentrate on one thing at a time.
• Praise any good behaviour and ignore any bad behaviour.
• Don’t get into battles at meal time. If they refuse to eat try not to show you are bothered and after a short time take the food away. Don’t give anything until the next meal or snack time.
• Any food left after a meal should be thrown away and not saved or re-heated later.
• Try and feed your baby before they get too tired, as problems are more likely then.
• Prepare for some mess but relax and help your baby learn to enjoy food.

Sample Menu for a Six to 9 Month Old Baby (depending on when you start)​
By the time your baby is 6 months old, their daily intake should look something like this;
• On waking – Breast or bottle feed.
• Breakfast – Mashed banana.
• Mid-morning and Mid-afternoon – Breast or bottle feed.
• Midday and evening meals – Meat, chicken, fish or pulses. Potato or rice. Puree vegetables. Puree fruit with custard or full fat yogurt or milk pudding. Cooled boiled water with the meal. Breast or formula milk after meal if desired.
• Bedtime and during the night – Breast or bottle feeds as needed.

How Should I Prepare my Food?​
It is best to use fresh fruit or vegetables and puree them to the right texture. Using your own food makes it easier to move on from smooth puree. Do not add sugar or salt.
• Try not to overcook food as it loses most of its nutrition if it is cooked far too long.
• Do not add sugar or salt, as babies’ kidneys are not mature enough to cope with it.
• If you are cooking fruit or vegetables, you could puree them and freeze them in ice cube trays so you can use a small amount at once.
• Jars of food can be convenient, but making your own is much cheaper and healthier.

How Do I Keep and Reheat Food?​
You can keep it in the fridge for 48 hours, or freeze it on the day you make it and use within a month. Reheat it until piping hot and cool to a temperature your baby can eat.
• Any food you make in advance for your baby should be cooled as quickly as possible and stored in clean covered containers.
• Fridge temperatures should be between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius.
• Frozen food should be defrosted completely then heated until piping hot before cooling to the right temperature for your baby to eat.
• Any left over food should be thrown away and not saved or reheated later.

This whole "when to start weaning" has got me so confused :?. In my opinion callum seems ready, take this morning for instance he had a 6oz bottle at 7am and then a 7oz bottle at 9am!!! I know some babies will take their feeds just for the sake of it but callum will not feed unless he is hungry!

But according to the "guidelines" he is still too young!!! (he is on the hungrier baby milk which doesnt seem to have had any effect at all)

Yeah it is confusing 'cos there isn't a set time to start and it all depends on all sort of thingss. I'd say ask HV, although some stubborn ones may stick to the 'MUST START AT 6 MONTHS' thing without even considering anything else. So, not sure what to recommend. Sorry this isn't much help. :( x

Moving On​
• Number of meals – Once your baby is eating 5-6 teaspoons at one meal, increase it to two, then three meals a day.

:shock:

she is eating half a banana, and she would eat more if I would give her more :baby:

does this mean, I should give her more???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->