The Weaning Advice & Information Thread

:shock:

she is eating half a banana, and she would eat more if I would give her more :baby:

does this mean, I should give her more???

God no! Her digestive system is only used to breastmilk at the moment and if you overload her then you'll make her ill. Just start slowly with a little bit of food and if she's still hungry then breastfeed her more. Milk is still the most important food for her at the moment :)

:shock:

she is eating half a banana, and she would eat more if I would give her more :baby:

does this mean, I should give her more???

I think it means regularly, after they've been on solids for a while.. might change it on my original post. x

sorry to go on, but is half a banana alright or is it too much?

wanted to add, according to my book another indication is when baby can sit up well when assisted and can hold head steadily.

Why would that specify a baby was ready for solids?

Personally I don't see the rush to start solids, heard of babies that haven't started up to past 2-years and it hasn't harmed them nutritional or weight wise.... There is no need to rush....

:)

NCT leaflet: https://www.nct.org.uk/info-centre/publications/view/36

It has great advice.

sorry to go on, but is half a banana alright or is it too much?

Depends on the size of the banana....;) I'd take it slower, just introduce a few teaspoons. It's all about different tastes at the moment anyway :)

Have you got any weaning books? The Annabel Karmel one is good for recipes etc :)

Yeah it is confusing 'cos there isn't a set time to start and it all depends on all sort of thingss. I'd say ask HV, although some stubborn ones may stick to the 'MUST START AT 6 MONTHS' thing without even considering anything else. So, not sure what to recommend. Sorry this isn't much help. :( x

Im at baby clinic next week for his injections so im gonna ask hv then.

Why would that specify a baby was ready for solids?

Personally I don't see the rush to start solids, heard of babies that haven't started up to past 2-years and it hasn't harmed them nutritional or weight wise.... There is no need to rush....

:)

if your baby would be continously hungry like mine, you possibly would also think it needs more! really, guys it is no fun anymore, she only goes an hour in between feeds and then she is hungry again! as well @ night she tends to wake up three times now, instead of only once like before!

and I rather go with sth natural, like a banana than giving her artifical produced formula milk!

so far she isn't constipated and her poo looks okay!

they say, if baby can sit up properly when assisted and hold head up steadily, it is easier for the belly to digest the food as food can go through system unblocked! makes sense to me!

NCT leaflet: https://www.nct.org.uk/info-centre/publications/view/36

It has great advice.

personally, I do not believe in what they say about developing allergies if solids introduced to early as in contradiction to this Juleikas severe skin rush came before I have given her any solids and solely breastfed her! as well, I hadn't changed anything in my diet, nor did we have new clothes or new bedding for her :baby: :baby: :baby:

I also disagree with them saying that a baby is more likely to develop allergies if introduced to solids early. I gave nicole solids at 3 months and she aint allergic to anything, and when my mum was a baby they gave solids at 6wks old and there aint anything wrong with them either.

Its like the whole nuts during pregnancy thing, one minute your not supposed to eat them because they can cause your child to have allergic reactions to nuts later, then next thing you know they say that its actually the other way round.

I know they have the guidelines in place for a reason but i think every baby/child is different and at the end of the day its up to the individual when they decide to introduce different things (within reason!)

if your baby would be continously hungry like mine, you possibly would also think it needs more! really, guys it is no fun anymore, she only goes an hour in between feeds and then she is hungry again! as well @ night she tends to wake up three times now, instead of only once like before!

and I rather go with sth natural, like a banana than giving her artifical produced formula milk!

besides I am fading away towards a stick!!!

I will keep a close eye on her weight gain!

for me it really looks like starting off weaning is sth really to decide on each individual case :hi:

they say, if baby can sit up properly when assisted and hold head up steadily, it is easier for the belly to digest the food as food can go through system unblocked! makes sense to me!

How long was this going on for? Perhaps a growth spurt?

I just think that sitting up isn't a sign that it's time to wean and I don't think it is evidence based, it just means a baby has developed a motor skill that can make weaning easier when you do come around to..... But I do agree it is important to tell Mothers that they should be ideally sitting up unaided when you introduce solids, due to choking avoidance. Altho' some babies due to medical reasons don't develop this skill till alot later on, my nephew for example was almost 2.

I also disagree with them saying that a baby is more likely to develop allergies if introduced to solids early. I gave nicole solids at 3 months and she aint allergic to anything, and when my mum was a baby they gave solids at 6wks old and there aint anything wrong with them either.

Its like the whole nuts during pregnancy thing, one minute your not supposed to eat them because they can cause your child to have allergic reactions to nuts later, then next thing you know they say that its actually the other way round.

That's sort of like the I've smoked for 40-years and I'm Okay argument.... ?

The nuts in pregnancy is still up for debate. I think there is still more research to find out conclusive proof on that.

The link I put up about weaning is personally one of the better, but I don't agree with some points to:

"Most breastfed babies receive enough iron from breastmilk to help keep the stores they were born with topped up. Babies born with low stores, perhaps because they were premature or small-for-dates, may benefit from iron supplements. Similarly, babies whose mother’s iron level is low may benefit from an iron supplement before six months. If you think this applies to you, talk to your doctor, paediatrician or health visitor. "

Low Iron levels in a nursing Mother do not affect the Iron levels in an infant, due to the brilliant absorption of Iron from breastmilk (10 times greater than formula) is probably the main reason.

Also, I don't believe in signs of babies being interested in watching people eat food or grabbing food/spoons, babies are naturally interested in what their parents do and show interest in.... By that emission my child is ready to start washing-up and driving... lol...

well, I only can say after three days banana + breastmilk for lunch she seems to be more content again :yipee:

Also, I don't believe in signs of babies being interested in watching people eat food or grabbing food/spoons, babies are naturally interested in what their parents do and show interest in.... By that emission my child is ready to start washing-up and driving... lol...

I think it's more a case of this being 'one of' the signs that a baby is ready to move onto solids, rather than 'oh, just because my baby is watching me eat, I'll wean her' - I don't think anyone would wean their baby for that reason alone. x

This is gonna sound silly but would u only wean your LO if they showed all of the signs of needin to be weaned or just 1 or 2? I'm really not sure about Oliver- He's drooling and fist chomping, he was sleepin through the night but now is sometimes waking for a feed or if not waking he tosses and turns and moans all night long. He seems hungry all the time but will only take 5 or 6oz at one time and whilst havin his bottle he's started crying and moaning. He has more than doubled in his birth weight and is definatelly takin an interest in what we are eating..do u guys think he may be ready? I really am clueless about this whole weaning thing! x

This is gonna sound silly but would u only wean your LO if they showed all of the signs of needin to be weaned or just 1 or 2? I'm really not sure about Oliver- He's drooling and fist chomping, he was sleepin through the night but now is sometimes waking for a feed or if not waking he tosses and turns and moans all night long.

Sounds more like teething to me?

He seems hungry all the time but will only take 5 or 6oz at one time and whilst havin his bottle he's started crying and moaning. He has more than doubled in his birth weight and is definatelly takin an interest in what we are eating..do u guys think he may be ready? I really am clueless about this whole weaning thing! x

I personally always go with 6-months, because leaving it will never hurt a baby. But of course it's a Mothers decision at the end of the day.

Just to clarify something really quickly, I just don't believe if a baby is showing these signs it's a time to whip and the purees and baby rice ultra quickly because the baby 'needs' solids. I think if they've passed the around the 4-months mark then you could start contemplating it, if they can sit up, no tongue-reflex and are chewing. But you can wait. Some people say a baby knows when it's physically ready, and these signs are showing that, if it picks up the food and eats it.... I just think Mothers rush into it too quickly because they feel as if they have to, and I just want to urge Mothers to take their time.... Your child isn't going to be nutritionally lacking in anyway. The gut develops between 4-6 months... babies are all different so it can be at the bottom or at the lower end of the scale. Plus so many Mothers assume growth spurts to be a sign, but these can last up to a week..... And also find that some just want to give them solids so they can start sleeping through the night? Which I find shocking.... I just don't like giving people the green light straight away.... :)

Does anyone on here do babyled-weaning? I think this is a much more easier and less stressful approach....

I will start weaning Caitlin when I think shes ready probably end up talking things over with the HV first. Think Ive been lucky with her shes very laid back not ramming information & semi facts down our throats making us paranoid 'am I doing tha right thing'. I noticed some HVs etc can really make Mums paranoid if they are doing good as Mum & uneasy about making decisions.

Little fuller bellies I am sure will give baby a better night sleep - Happy baby happy Mum ...its just another mile in babies routine starting :D

I for one can't wait to allow my baby to explore her taste buds with homemade foods & fruits & I would rather sooner than later as and when I see she may be ready to. She holds her head up fairly good at the moment & is strong on her legs ... I always look forward to every new step with Caitlin from first smile onwards :D

personally, I go with my instinct, as I did this many many times before and only afterwards I read this is what can happen/what you could do etc...

following my instinct never proofed me wrong so far :baby: :baby: :baby:

if she doesn't get constipated and she doesn't get belly aches etc and still gets much breastmilk I do not see any reason not to start giving her fruits???

and I do very much think it is a individual decision according to the baby!!!

btw I don't do it in order to get a night sleep through :baby:

Does anyone on here do babyled-weaning? I think this is a much more easier and less stressful approach....

I did with my eldest.I started on the purees when Seren was 19 weeks old as I felt under pressure to do so, but it turned out to be a growth spurt so we stopped and started BLW at 51/2 months. I loved it, like you said a lot less stressful and I felt it really helped her to become a great eater,no worries about going onto lumpy food or whether she was getting eough like I heard other mumsi mypostnatal group say. Will definately be doing this with Cally.

Does anyone on here do babyled-weaning?

when can you start this then?

so far I thought, when she is getting older I will give her a selection of fingerfoods, where she can choose from anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->