Theme for your nursery

Cinnamon

Reaction score
Ok, well I haven't been around for a while, and therefor haven't posted any threads for yonks but here goes:

I've been thinking lately about cots, and nursery stuff in general and that got me thinking about a theme. (So mad I know because I don't even have a child yet but I can't help dreaming..:cloud9:
I won't have a nursery as such as we only have a 1-bed flat but still I'd like some funky bed-spread or cot. I do like princesses for a girl because they're beautiful and because I grew up with Disney, but I don't like the "prince charming" idea they got into our heads or the beauty, skinny as a rake idea either. For boys I have the same dilema. Trains, builders and other job characters make me feel as if I'd be pushing my child towards one direction or other. Then Tigger is funny, a bit mad, but funny but that bear eats too much honey for my liking, haha, and hey, Winnie the Pooh stuff is well expensive! Anyway, I've finally settled for a "nature" scene, with little hippos, rhinos, girafes etc. I'm very into nature and enviroment and I think, not only will it do for a boy or a girl, but also I'm passing on my planet friendly thinking...

Anyhow, have you girls had any ideas yet? Those of you who are already mums, what did you chose for each child??

Please take no offence about my previous ideas:blush:, it's just my taste but I totally respect anything else.

Get typing!!!!

Nope, not even thinking about it. Actually I've had such shitty luck with pregnancies and babies that I'm buying the cheapest crib known to man, car seat, only 1 pack of diapers, 1 or 2 outfits and just a few more odds and ends. Then when we actually BRING HOME a healthy baby I'll send DH out w/ the credit card to buy the rest of the stuff.

Last pregnancy I had to return $1400 worth of bay stuff to Babies R Us. That was SO not fun and was the MOST embarrassing things EVER!!

I think animals is a lovely idea :)

I became very concerned about the "right" thing for baby both times.

When I was pregnant I started finding fault with EVERY possible theme - Barbie was sexist, Disney was similarly politically incorrect, Old fashioned Pooh was ok but could lead to Disney Pooh.... etc etc etc *

I kept worrying that anything I bought would cause some kind of trauma in the future - I kept picturing the baby, grown up in a therapy session because of it :haha: (Although as the MW got the sex wrong the first time, if we'd gone for a non-nuetral theme I bet Freud would have had something to say).

I decided that as long as baby and I were comfy and happy there was no need to panic and I decided to get what I liked.

First time - I ended up going to mother care and getting whatever caught my eye (mix of animal stuff - ducks, giraffes and teddies) - I didn't stick to one range, but more a loose animal theme.

I'm not somebody who has matching everything, and I thought it looked very cosey once it was all put together.

Second time - Same again, except I also got anything cheap I could get my hands on - ebay, hand me downs, charity shop etc

I found once my children got older it was definitely a case of nature not nurture... My DD has her princess, pooh and my little pony stuff and my son has his Thomas, trains, cars Bob the builder etc.

It's only at the beginning you get a say. IMHO If you're happy baby will be happy.

* Hope nobody gets offended - we have pretty much ALL the disney stuff possible now. Just my first time mum panic!

I think I will keep it not too sparlky (lol) Just a nice colur wall paint (like light blue) witha rallye stripe or sth like that.

this is my favourite topic! maddi currently have classic winnie the pooh, but i love disney, but certainly don't take offence ladies :D we're all different :D

for the next one i'd really like to do a humpreys corner theme, i adore though stories, and the stuff is gorgeous, maddi has the toys and the clothes and i just think it's beautiful :cloud9: and this can be for a girl or boy :D

oh and i adore your idea of all though animals, sounds beautiful! x

Since im renting i cant to much decoration so will have to do it with curtains and a border. Babys like bright and contrasting colours so im going to go with a jungle theam partly because that is also gender nutral. Hopefully i will be able to fit the cot in with the double bed, Think i will just have to put the bed right in the corner.

I love Disney but I think I'm going to go for simple and fresh!
Our spare room is currently a really fresh relaxing blue and white so if we have a boy will leave the walls and just add some blue and white teddies and ornaments and stuff. If I have a girl I like pink but wouldnt paint the walls pink, prob white with baby pink stuff.
Although I do love the fresh green colour that seems to be around in the catalogues at the mo that way it will suit boy and girl!
But yes, as an animal lover/vet nurse and environmental science geek I will def have the theme whatever colour around nature and wildlife! Can't go wrong with this me thinks!!!!!!
It's sooo exciting!

I've always wanted a jungle theme too! In fact, my spare room (potential nursery) is currently decorated with 3 cream walls and 1 wall of leafy wallpaper with a cream background. Its grownup paper, and looks very posh! But stick a couple of animal decals on there, jungle bedding etc, and you have ur own jungle themed nursery!!!! Plus, it would do for a boy or a girl!

I love the animal theme idea, but mainly cos I love giraffes lol

My 2 boys both had giraffe themed nurseries
1st son -it was the 'Toy box' with toy giraffes, elephants and teddybears -neutral colours of creams, browns, etc as I never found out his gender til birth.
2nd son - neutral colours too for the same reason (green and purple -sound revolting but was actually v nice -honest lol) more of a safari giraffe theme this time.

My daughter , again neutral -had pastel coloured teddy bears, until she was 2 then she had Winnie the Pooh. I totally loved that room, it was beautiful. She was first and escaped the giraffe madness a bit, although I think she started it ,cos I got so many cutesie presents for her with giraffes on, and her fave toy that she carted around for years in her buggy was.. yes .. a giraffe lol.

This time around I have already seen a gorgeous cot bumper/duvet set, mobile, baby seat and a few other accessories in pink with a 'jolly giraffe' theme - so cute. Wont have the room for an entire nursery this time tho' . So that's a girl sorted out, if its a boy - I haven't quite seen anything that catches my eye yet, but almost guaranteed -there will be at least one or two giraffes in there lol.
Oh my poor children, is this giraffe overkill???

xx

Well girls, it looks like Disney, Pooh and Jungle/Safari theme top the charts. As I said in my first post, jungle/safari is my favorite but of course, everyone is different. I'd also thought about a stary universe theme, not dark though, but I think animals is my kinda thing. Come on ladies, keep writing!! xxx

DH is really interested in space and the formation of stars and planets, etc (yes, I did marry a science geek, why do you ask? :winkwink: ) I think that will be our theme (stars, moons, etc) because it can be both for a girl or a boy--you just have to coordinate the colors right.

And yes, I have been looking at bedding, lamps, wall hangings and mobiles to match the theme :blush:

heheh we have geeks in our house too :) (Me & OH! lol)

We love anything nature-ish and despite all the merchandised stuff we now have we still have loads of animals, stars, plant stuff everywhere.

Hey if anybody wins the lottery - my kids fell in LOVE with the soft toys at Hamleys.

They had a giraffe that must have been nearly full sized, horses that actually gallop (on the spot) and make proper horse noises...

Should mention this all started at around £1000!!!!!!!!!

we have taked about colours etc for nursery and decided that we will decide when baby is born. Baby will be in our room for the first few months anyway so that way we can paint it gender correct once baby is here and we know what sex he/she is (won't find out until birth)

I feel strongly about not imposing gender stereotypes. Byron's room has a mural on one wall that is a river, sea, hills and sky. We planned to paint lots of sea creatures and things but haven't got round to that yet and might not if we're honest! We have some odd random posters of the evolution of life, some dogs and UK mammals we got free with newspapers and from the OU. Byron loves them which is why they are up. Colours are blue, red and yellow. Generally it is a big mix of things none of which I would consider a problem if we had a baby girl to pop in the room with him.

I don't mind boys things so much as they tend to encourage interesting pursuits but girls apparently are only allowed to like flowers and butterflies, fall in love and be attractive and I must say this bothers me enormously.

Joseph's room is neutral colours and has the Teddy's Wash Day range from mothercare (which they have now stopped doing). Next time round I would probably go for another neutral range, I love Humphrey's Corner that I saw in mothercare and the Dylan & Daisy range in Next x

I've always wanted to go with an alphabet and numbers 'theme'. I use the term 'theme' lightly because I'm more about patterns and textures. I tend to gravitate towards blues and greens and will probably stick with those no matter the gender.

For some reason I have this dream for a pink & brown/creme nursery for a girl... I love the way the colors look together... :pink:

For some reason I have this dream for a pink & brown/creme nursery for a girl... I love the way the colors look together... :pink:

I think that sounds lovely! Great colour combination.

My theme is sort of hard to describe :blush: I really love vintage decor and furniture and would love to incorporate this into a nursery. At the moment I have an idea of having fabric bunting around the top of the walls :happydance:
My stepdad is an artist who works on giant canvases as backrounds for cars in adverts so I'm hoping I would be able to persuade him to paint a mural on one wall. I know exactly how it looks in my head, just can't explain it! :dohh:

My theme is sort of hard to describe :blush: I really love vintage decor and furniture and would love to incorporate this into a nursery. At the moment I have an idea of having fabric bunting around the top of the walls :happydance:
My stepdad is an artist who works on giant canvases as backrounds for cars in adverts so I'm hoping I would be able to persuade him to paint a mural on one wall. I know exactly how it looks in my head, just can't explain it! :dohh:

My grandad is a realy good artist so il ask him to do some canvases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->