Things pregnant ladies can't do...

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Just wondering what your thoughts are on doing certain things when you're newly pregnant? Or just pregnant?

Some things are dangerous and most definitely should not be done (such as scuba diving, sky diving or something), where as somethings in my opinion are a bit grey.

I know a lady who got pregnant right after her wedding and when they went on the honeymoon she was 4-5 weeks. She still went skiing, riding go karts and all sorts, although it often stated that pregnant women shouldn't do these things.

Another lady still rides horses all through her pregnancy. I think it's fine :shrug:

Anyhow, DH and I are going away in 4 weeks on a holiday and we will be snorkelling with whale sharks. Please note, whale sharks are NOT sharks and are not dangerous. They're just enormous fish that you can swim with. Now we have just paid a lot of money to do this, and I have noticed it says not recommended for pregnant women.

If I were to become pregnant (in TWW now and was not pregnant at all when booked) I would be max 6 weeks or so... Give or take. The activity isn't strenuous, it's snorkelling and looking at fish. If I got tired I could swim up and hop back onto the boat...

Would it be ok to go ahead and do it? I'm not going deep into the water like with scuba diving as I would be on the surface, I'm not hanging around dangerous sharks to have my legs chewed off (have just as much chance of being hurt on land in my opinion), and I think I would be fine...

What are your thoughts and have you had a similar situation?

If the activity was dangerous I would definitely not do it, but I don't see the danger in it, or am I missing something?

Suggestions Welcome, just please don't say mean things as I am trying to make sure I don't make the wrong choice and possibly do something i should not have done.

personally, I look at it like you can do anything, if you're still at a point where some people dont know they're pregnant. so about 8 weeks. at the beginning the baby is so small that they're very well protected. that early even a blow directly to the stomach might not hurt the baby.

so yea. my personal opinion is that you should be fine :) I only found out I was pregnant with DD at 7 weeks, and up until that point I was using the ab machine and rowing machine at the gym, going on planes, snorkeling and waterskiing and my baby girl is just fine <3 so yes! snorkeling imo is fine :)

I think at that early stage it would be fine, some people might not know they are pregnant at 6 weeks. If you were past 12 weeks the womb would not be protected by the pelvis so a big heavy animal that might bump into your stomach could potentially be harmful, unless there is some reason that I can't think of but the only risk I can think of is if you were to come into Contact with them.

I definitely wouldn't stop doing anything because of pregnancy (apart from the obvious, drinking alcohol/smoking etc). Go for it & enjoy :)

Does the company need you to sign something? Usually one of the questions is are you pregnant.
If you are, and god forbid anything happens- the responsibility is on you if you checked yes.
I'm not sure I would do it, but that's because I have had a MC and am overly cautious. But I might try it out to see if I'm OK with it, and if I feel any discomfort at all- even non pregnancy related (because you never know) I'd stop.
I'd think snorkeling is harmless though, almost like swimming, which is definitely a yes in pregnancy.

The only thing I stopped doing (at 12 weeks) was horseback riding.

We went on a cruise last year and went cave tubing, swimming with dolphins, zip lining, and you better believe if I was less than 12 weeks I would have done every single one of those things.

Usually the risk is after the baby pops out from your pubic bone, it becomes more susceptible to injury. When it's tucked, there is virtually no risk.

I say go for it. As long as your uterus is still hidden and you aren't ingesting harmful things you will be fine :)

Definitely do it! I'm going to Australia in July and am definitely planning to snorkel. I'm not planning to dive, even though I'd love to, since I'm hoping to be pregnant but everything I read said snorkeling is fine.

Snorkeling should be fine. We were just on vacation in December and one of our snorkel tours had a pregnant lady on it, and I know my SIL was able to book snorkel tours when she was pregnant.

The only issue you might encounter is nervousness. SIL, who is normally just fine in water, was intensely uncomfortable being out of reach of the bottom. She said it really freaked her out. She didn't stay in the water long. The lady on my snorkel tour looked really nervous, too, but I don't know her, so for all I know she's always like that. Both were way past 6 weeks, though, probably closer to 20.

So I say go for it, but with the understanding that you might end up disliking it when the time comes.

I'd say go for it too, it's a low impact, not very strenuous thing to do but how amazing!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->