Things that hurt more than childbirth...

I had a completely diseased and obnoxiously large gallbladder, and had a really bad attack a year ago. I thought I wouldnt survive it. Childbirth felt like nothing compared to this. I ended up having emergency surgery this summer to remove it

not experienced anything worse than childbirth yet....i may be singing a different tune tomorrow when i visit the dentist though!xx

I love reading some of these since it makes me feel a bit more confident! I've never given much thought to the pain involved in L&D but now that it is inevitable I think about it all the time. I like to think I have a fairly high pain threshold so I'm hoping that will come in handy. Having a positive reward for the pain definitely makes it soooo worth it!
So far the worst pains I've had were:
-Spinal Tap with horrendous allergic reaction and no pain management
-Having my nose re-broken to realign it properly, I had Valium but it still hurt like hell
-Having large cysts burst and dealing with horrible period pains
-Tonsilectomy at age 15
-Appendectomy at age 14
-Tattoo on my ankle (didn't cry though!)
-Belly button piercing the second time (tons of scar tissue had to be gone through)
-Falling off my horse and herniating two discs (they still cause issues now)

The spinal tap was the worst and I use that as my "if I lived through that...this is nothing" standard. I'm hoping I will be able to cope well enough to get the 100% natural delivery I want!

Anyone got any experience with wrist tattoos? I'm bricking it!!

For me, childbirth was the worst pain ever until recently...
sorer than acute appendicitis and the resulting surgery, sorer than tonsilitis etc..
BUT
in my most recent pregnancy I got piles.. CRAZY pain, couldnt sit couldnt lie down couldnt sleep!! Labour was alot easier! I had c-sec with this one and it was a breeze lol.

yes it wasn't so bad, hurt more in the middle, try not to watch them do it, thats what did me....i nearly fainted, the guy had to get me a lolly to suck on to take my mind off it. i was fine with all my others as i didnt watch. (back and upper arm) get some numbing cream if you have low pain threshold.

the worst pain i have ever gone thru was an infected wisdom tooth rather recently. it had me crying in pain. i had it taken taken out and it was broken in two with a massive hole. no wonder it gave me so much grief. i also fell off a moped and and crushed my foot causing it to swell to 3 times its size, my toes were little stubs and i have a chunk of flesh missing. that was pretty painful for a good while. cant really think of anything else. i have a high pain threshold. labour was no biggy for me, i thought the internal hurt waaayyy more than actual contractions or giving birth. ofcourse i may have just been out of it on gas and air but i had no pain relief until transition stage as i felt i was coping fine and the G and A was only because i was struggling to breath through without pushing and apparently it was too soon.

to me, the worst pain is of something that you are unsure will ever end, like the toothache. atleast with labour i knew it would not last forever and it was all totally worth it.
i dont deal very well with ear ache either. i dont like anything in my facial region giving me grief lol. its why i have no piercings (not even my ears) but i have tattoos

oh and just to add....leg cramp in the calves hurts like a b*tch.....experienced this a lot recently!

Had no pain releif at all through my 2nd labour (8hours) 8lb boy and still swear the needle in my hand to induce my 1st labour was about 1000% worse when I had a tiny 6lb girl!

Gallstones - my gallbladder attack was right up there, if not more painful than L&D. It lasted just as long too! I ended up with surgery.

tickles likes hell, i had to be held down i was laughing that much i was squirming and howling!! the tattooist said he'd never had a reaction like it

Gallstone attacks - I ve had about 30 in total (gallbladders gone now so def no more!)

Feels like being stabbed and having a heart attack all at the same time!!

So pleased so many of you have mentioned gall stones!

I've had a few gallstone attacks in my time that lasted about 6 hours at a time with no let up in between. I thought I was dying with the pain in my chest and back and was begging for someone to knock me out. The doctor at the time assured me if I could deal with gallstone attacks then I would cruise through labour unaided! I will be hunting him down if it turns out labour is worse lol.

I had double jaw surgery 2 years ago under general anesthesia. The nurses were telling me that if I can go through that giving birth will be a breeze. Post surgery was tough especially the first 4 days but not sure if birth will be easier - will find out VERY soon lol.
Did make me feel good though because the jaw surgery, although rough, wasnt unbearable and I could do it again if i had to.

Getting your chest tattooed.

WAYYYYYY worse than childbirth, ctx stop getting tattoos hurts all the time you're in the chair and a long while after.

i was gonna type that! i got a big one directly on my breastbone. sucked ass.

abscess in the tooth

and also, imo, breastfeeding.

OK so now I'm really worried about ever getting gallstones or kidney stones :winkwink:

I've not experienced labour and birth yet but am totally bricking it. I've already said to DH that if it hurts as much as trapping a nerve in your neck, I'm not going to be able to do it. That's the worst pain I've felt so far - like a red hot knife slicing into the back of your neck and into your skull. I couldn't even move, it was awful.

Child birth was agony but going for a constipated poo a week PP when I had a big episiotomy that ran down to my anus was THE worst pain I have ever experienced ever.

OK so now I'm really worried about ever getting gallstones or kidney stones :winkwink:

Me too! I keep reading about it in the thread and thinking "Oh no! If I ever have gallstones or kidney stones I'm going to die!! No way will I be able to handle that!"

I had a drug free birth with my little girl. She was 8lb 2oz and I can honestly say toothache hurts more!

Having a tooth extraction that went wrong and took 2 hours, resulting in the jaw bone being drilled and the tooth root still not coming out. That hurt far more than labour! The after effects were worse as well, I lost all feeling in that part of my face for over 6 months and still haven't got 100% of feeling back. I refused further surgery to remove the rest of the root and it's still in there but causing me no problems.

I had my emergency gallbladder surgery 3 weeks after my son was born.....definitely worse than my labor. That said, my GB attacks were 12 hours or longer and there was no reward at the end. Just pain to have pain. :nope:I had attacks throughout my pregnancy and then again after his birth. In comparison, my labor was under 4.5 hours and all natural. I would have done it again the next day.

To the ladies who are saying that getting your chest tattooed hurts more than childbirth..... you must be mad! (or have ridiculously heavy handed tattooists!). I'd rather have my chest tattooed 10 times over than be in the agony i was with labour! :haha:

I do agree with the tooth abscess comments though. I have had a few in my lifetime and they have got to be one of the worst things in the world, they cause so much agony that it is almost like you're losing your mind! The couple of days that it takes for antibiotics to kick in have surely gotta give childbirth a run for its money! :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->