Things to do in South Yorkshire?

Foogirl

Baby Abby 11 weeks early
Reaction score
I'm going on holiday in August, staying around Leeds. Any recommendations for things to do with a 5 year old?

We've got diggerland on the list but beyond that we are looking for ideas?

Leeds isn't really South Yorkshire, it's west or are you coming to South Yorkshire for a day? There's the Yorkshire wildlife park which is good fun.

Leeds has a tropical butterfly house which is dirt cheap and brilliant, I can get my family of 6 in for less than £15 and we spend a good couple of hours there.

Leeds is close to York, a day out there?

If you accidentally end up in Hull there are decent museums there.

I second the butterfly house at roundhay park :thumbup:

Eureka is a great kids museum thats in halifax, can be a little pricey though.

The yorkshire wildlife park is really good and easy to spend a whole day there.

Clifton park in Rotherham is really good, has a paddling pool, childrens funfair and loads of park play equipment plus cafes and gardens etc too.

if you want to shop Meadowhall and Whiterose are pretty good :)

Eureka is a great kids museum thats in halifax, can be a little pricey though.

Noooo have you been recently? It's all broken and dirty and horrible. Not at all as good as it was when we were little!

I second Hull. It's got the 'Deep,' a large aquarium. There are also quite a few museums which are next to each other, all free.

York is fantastic for a day out. Lots of things to around there, a corn maze, Viking Museum, York Dungeon (might be a bit gruesome for Abby mind you).

Whitby/Scarborough might be a driveable distance from Leeds. We live just over an hours drive from Leeds which is 20 miles north of Whitby & 40 miles north of Scarborough.

Definitely recommend yorkshire wildlife park in Doncaster, we love it there. Also as someone else suggested clifton park too :)

I wouldn't recommend Eureka at all!

We used to go when I was younger and it was incredible, however I took DD last time we were down and it was dirty, with several broken exhibits, the food was vile and it was over priced.

Clifton is great, Temple Newsam is nice too. You can go see the animals on the farm etc and there's a great wee park. The city museum is also good. Although it doesn't take very long.

I'd recommend going into York. There's so much to do there, the Viking museum is a must do.

Leeds isn't really South Yorkshire, it's west or are you coming to South Yorkshire for a day? There's the Yorkshire wildlife park which is good fun.

Leeds has a tropical butterfly house which is dirt cheap and brilliant, I can get my family of 6 in for less than £15 and we spend a good couple of hours there.
We're staying south of Leeds, so looking for South Yorkshire things.

Leeds is definitely West Yorkshire hun. I lived in Leeds for 27 years, and now I live in Barnsley (have done for 4 years), which is South Yorkshire. I'm 35 miles away from Leeds.

Maybe you'd be looking for places around the Wakefield area then, if you're staying south of Leeds? That's still West Yorkshire, but closer to South Yorkshire than Leeds is.

If you really do want South Yorkshire ideas though, then Barnsley Metrodome is fab. My kids have their swimming lessons there once a week. It's great - there's Pirates Cove aqua park thing - there are several slides and a pirate boat with mini water slides for kids. Also bowling.

Otherwise in Sheffield (which is South Yorkshire) there are lots of things to do in Valley Centertainment, like Lazer Quest, and crazy golf.

There's Doncaster Dome in Doncaster (also South Yorkshire) but I've not been there in years so I dunno what that's like.

As others have said there's Yorkshire wildlife park. I've not been myself, but both my eldest kids have been on day trips there with school and both really enjoyed themselves.

Closer to Leeds there's the photography and film museum in Bradford which is free (always a bonus!) and entertaining. There is an ice skating rink in Bradford as well.

Within Leeds itself, Tropical World, as somebody else mentioned, is cheap and lovely for kids. Really really warm inside though - don't take a thick coat!

Sheffield Butterfly Wildlife and Falconry Centre is ace, it's about 1 hr south from Leeds (well, as you might imagine from the name, it's Sheffield) down the M1. I would really recommend it.

I really liked Eureka and I thought the food was good when I was there! Joni loved it, but I think a child Abby's age would get a lot more from it.

Another vote for Yorkshire Wildlife Park.

Cannon Hall Farm is good near Barnsley, loads and loads of animals, I bet there will be loads of babies if you go in August too. Also that time of year maybe the Maize Maze would be open there? They are right next door to each other. Not sure what time of year it closes. That can be fun too.

If you can be bothered to drive to Hull, the Deep is definitely worth it. I think it's about £10 for adults, to me it seems really reasonable for what you get (it does come with a free pass...but obviously that's not going to be as useful for you!)

Strangely enough I am going on holiday near Falkirk around that time, we could have done a house swap hahaha! What do you recommend around that area? Last time we went to the Mariner Centre and the Sealife Centre at North Queensferry.

x

Leeds is definitely West Yorkshire hun. I lived in Leeds for 27 years, and now I live in Barnsley (have done for 4 years), which is South Yorkshire. I'm 35 miles away from Leeds.

Yawn. "Hun" I'm looking for things in South Yorkshire. It's a simple request, really.

Sheffield Butterfly Wildlife and Falconry Centre is ace, it's about 1 hr south from Leeds (well, as you might imagine from the name, it's Sheffield) down the M1. I would really recommend it.

I really liked Eureka and I thought the food was good when I was there! Joni loved it, but I think a child Abby's age would get a lot more from it.

Cannon Hall Farm is good near Barnsley, loads and loads of animals, I bet there will be loads of babies if you go in August too. Also that time of year maybe the Maize Maze would be open there? They are right next door to each other. Not sure what time of year it closes. That can be fun too.

If you can be bothered to drive to Hull, the Deep is definitely worth it. I think it's about £10 for adults, to me it seems really reasonable for what you get (it does come with a free pass...but obviously that's not going to be as useful for you!)

Strangely enough I am going on holiday near Falkirk around that time, we could have done a house swap hahaha! What do you recommend around that area? Last time we went to the Mariner Centre and the Sealife Centre at North Queensferry.

x

Lol, we could have house swapped. Might have been easier than trawling for accommodation!

The good thing about Falkirk is its really easy access to Edinburgh and Glasgow. 30 minutes on the train to either of them, slightly longer in the car. And there is loads to do in those two places.

But for Falkirk itself, two recommendations. The Falkirk Wheel is a great day out. Not sure if you know of it, but it is an engineering marvel. It's actually a boat lift, linking two major canals. You can do a boat trip through the lift, there is a cafe and a play park area and loads of places to wander about. We go there a lot. It's totally free, except for the boat trip.

The other thing would be the Helix park and a visit to see the kelpies. This is our newest attraction and it is well worth seeing.

Stirling is nice for a day out, great wee city to wander about in. Stirling Castle and the wallace monument are good too.

The Almond Valley Park is about 30 minutes away. Its got heaps of stuff, animals, museum, soft play. Abby went on her school trip and loved it.

Five sisters Zoo is apparently quite good, or you could go to Edinburgh Zoo and see the pandas.

Yawn. "Hun" I'm looking for things in South Yorkshire. It's a simple request, really.

Wow how rude. People are trying to be helpful. You said Leeds which is not at all South Yorkshire so people have just tried to clarify in order not to give you crap information.

Eta - you also said diggerland as one idea you already had. That's also West Yorkshire, not South.

x

Lol, we could have house swapped. Might have been easier than trawling for accommodation!

The good thing about Falkirk is its really easy access to Edinburgh and Glasgow. 30 minutes on the train to either of them, slightly longer in the car. And there is loads to do in those two places.

But for Falkirk itself, two recommendations. The Falkirk Wheel is a great day out. Not sure if you know of it, but it is an engineering marvel. It's actually a boat lift, linking two major canals. You can do a boat trip through the lift, there is a cafe and a play park area and loads of places to wander about. We go there a lot. It's totally free, except for the boat trip.

The other thing would be the Helix park and a visit to see the kelpies. This is our newest attraction and it is well worth seeing.

Stirling is nice for a day out, great wee city to wander about in. Stirling Castle and the wallace monument are good too.

The Almond Valley Park is about 30 minutes away. Its got heaps of stuff, animals, museum, soft play. Abby went on her school trip and loved it.

Five sisters Zoo is apparently quite good, or you could go to Edinburgh Zoo and see the pandas.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We will definitely check out Stirling Castle, thank you. We didn't go to Stirling at all last year. We went to the Wheel last year.

Someone else mentioned the kelpies, I think we saw them last year from the motorway, maybe they were just constructing them then? Will definitely go there too, looks really impressive!

Mainly we go to Falkirk (actually we are stopping near Callander this time) because my family are from there (no one there now though) so we spent all our childhood holidays there and it's like a trip down memory lane for me, but I am not sure OH thinks it's truly the dream holiday destination haha. But the best thing has got to be the fact that the supermarkets still open early on a Sunday, lol we were so amazed when we were caught short on nappies on a Sunday morning!!! England needs to catch up!

Wow how rude. People are trying to be helpful. You said Leeds which is not at all South Yorkshire so people have just tried to clarify in order not to give you crap information.

Eta - you also said diggerland as one idea you already had. That's also West Yorkshire, not South.
What's rude is people questioning my knowledge of geography when I know exactly where I am going and what I am looking for. I need things to do in SOUTH Yorkshire. I have things to do is West Yorkshire, I know the area well. I'm looking for things to do in South Yorkshire as we have friends there we are going to visit. I'm not sure what needs clarified when my question is "Things to do in South Yorkshire"

x

Thanks for your suggestions.

We will definitely check out Stirling Castle, thank you. We didn't go to Stirling at all last year. We went to the Wheel last year.

Someone else mentioned the kelpies, I think we saw them last year from the motorway, maybe they were just constructing them then? Will definitely go there too, looks really impressive!

Mainly we go to Falkirk (actually we are stopping near Callander this time) because my family are from there (no one there now though) so we spent all our childhood holidays there and it's like a trip down memory lane for me, but I am not sure OH thinks it's truly the dream holiday destination haha. But the best thing has got to be the fact that the supermarkets still open early on a Sunday, lol we were so amazed when we were caught short on nappies on a Sunday morning!!! England needs to catch up!

Yeah, I do miss our Sunday shopping hours when down your way!

What's rude is people questioning my knowledge of geography when I know exactly where I am going and what I am looking for. I need things to do in SOUTH Yorkshire. I have things to do is West Yorkshire, I know the area well. I'm looking for things to do in South Yorkshire as we have friends there we are going to visit. I'm not sure what needs clarified when my question is "Things to do in South Yorkshire"

You said you were staying in Leeds. Then you later said you were staying "South of Leeds" which in my book would equate to Wakefield.
Both Leeds, and Wakefield, are WEST YORKSHIRE.

You really ought to have clarified from the very beginning that you are going to be visiting friends in South Yorkshire.

Frankly, the way you phrased things just made you seem geographically inept.

Furthermore, instead of responding to my post with "yawn", how about you acknowledge the fact that I did mention the Barnsley Metrodome, Doncaster Dome, The Yorkshire Wildlife Park, and Centertainment in Sheffield. All of these places are in SOUTH YORKSHIRE. So I did, in fact, give you plenty of helpful suggestions pertaining to your "Things to do in South Yorkshire" originally question. I gave you far more suggestions for South Yorkshire than I did for any other area.
A simple "thank you" would have sufficed.

The title of the thread is things to do in South Yorkshire. I said I was staying "around Leeds" not in Leeds. I really didn't ought to clarify anything as clearly you knew what I was asking if you then suggested things in South Yorkshire.

Funny how exactly the same post on two other forums managed not to "confuse" people. But no, on baby and bump it has to become a pissing contest with people insisting they know something others don't, as if to prove try are right. typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->