Things you can't live without

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
For everyone who is already a mom:

What items could you absolutely not live without when your baby was born? What is an absolute necessity? I'm printing a check list and going out tonight and stocking up on some stuff, but I think some of the stuff on alot of them I could probably do without. I just want to buy the absolute necessities until Adam is forced to kick in and take some financial responsibility. What should I be stocking up on? How many packs of newborn diapers, bottles, soothers, etc etc etc?

I know I'll get lots of stuff at my shower, but I'm going to be so, so busy starting next week until the baby is actually born that I don't see myself having another few days anytime soon without papers and exams, classes to go to, people coming to stay with us, etc etc etc. I want to get most of it done before people start crowding the malls in the fall to shop for Christmas and back to school

Hi!

1) Baby bouncer seat....was a godsend to sit them in to keep them occupied for awhile when I went to shower, etc. I would sit them in it and bring them to whatever room I was in.

2) Playmat - was also a fabulous distraction when my babies got to be a few months old.

These are things that are additional, not necessary, but nice to have.

The big thing lately is also the bumbo seat. Will definitely get one of those this time around.

What I never bought nor needed was a change table. I'd lay a changing mat or towel down underneath them wherever I was changing them.

Here's a good list of necessities:

https://www.todaysparent.com/pregna...ticle.jsp?content=20030605_132958_3736&page=1

Bouncer seat

Baby bath &bath support

Changing unit

Baby wipes

Steriliser

Breast pump

Medicine syringes

Little tubs for sterilised water (Seth had conjunctivitis and had to have his eyes cleaned whenever anything gunked up in them, and when we were out and about having little tubs of cooled boiled water was a great help)

Breast pads

xxx

I wouldnt stock up too much on nappies. Jessie was a big baby and altho only 8 weeks old shes very nearly onto number 3's. I wouldnt buy too many dummies either as I got a few packets of orthadontic dummies for her and she wouldnt take them, still won't now. Maybe if you're trying to budget you could get supermarket stamps or vouchers to help you out with the cost of nappies and things when the time comes to avoid wasting money like I did. xXx

one thing i found that was a waste of money for me was one of those things that you lay the baby on in the bath i think i used it about twise. and also i dont find having a bath for them any easier either i just filled the bath a little and put one hand under them and washed them with the other.

1) Books - Baby Whisperer solves your problems and what to expect the first year
2) Foam bath support - works great in kitchen sink
3) Pacifiers
4) Steriliser for bottles (if you are bottle feeding), pacifiers etc
I wouldn't splash out too much on bottles, because you may feel the need to switch for example if baby has wind, reflux or can't adjust to a particular teat.

Not sure if you were looking for something more specific. In terms of clothing - baby grows and vests and these are easy and comfy for baby and you can get packs wuite cheap in ASDA or tesco.

All of the above and Muslin squares!

I have only bought a couple of packs of 1st size nappies, they grow out of them really fast!

Oh and lots of bibs!

Couldnt Live Without...
1. Room thermometer, i was paranoid about over heating and cot death (SIDS)
2. Bottle warmer for the feeds, its takes aaages with a jug and boiled water..
3. Muslins...essential for those burping moments!
4. Nappy sacks...!!!
5. Microwave steraliser...saves time
6. Dr Brown bottles, cant praise enough if your LO suffers colic/wind problems

Things i Wouldnt Buy Again..
1. Too many clothes she hardly wore half as you get so many as gifts
2. Crib..found its an added expense i should have gone straight from moses basket/bassinet to cot

xxx

Thanks girls, it really helps hearing from people who have actually been there before!!

If you breastfeed, lanolin or something to soothe cracked nipples and breast pads so you dont leak through your shirt-- oh and lots of tylenol for treating my headaches!

Another couple of things - I have a baby grooming kit from mothercare and it includes bath thermometer, nail clippers, nail files, comb, hairbrush (Ryan has loads of hair!), nasal aspirator.
Also, get a few bags of cotton balls (use them dipped in water to clean baby instead of baby wipes)

for us we've loved:
moses basket
muslin squares
bottle warmer
swadling blanket
dummies - she loves to comfort suck :)
and her boncer is just fab when hubby's at work and im in the shower etc
hope that helps and u enjoy ur shopping :hug:

zinc barrier creme! A vibrating/bouncy chair, they are great, ummm gripe water too.

Oh and also a bath thermometer. I can never tell about the temperature of the bath and Im usually wrong when I guess.

xxx

ditto what everyone has said

i love my bouncy chair it help sooth bubs as it vibrates

bath box for storing all the toiletries in really handy when bathing bab as u dont have to hunt for things and leave bubs dripping weton the floor whlst u get what u needxx

zinc barrier creme! A vibrating/bouncy chair, they are great, ummm gripe water too.

What's zinc barrier cream? For Mum or Baby? I'm allergic to zinc.

I think she means like Peneten cream? You can get just tubs of zinc cream though, which is what I'll probably use. I use zinc cream for everything...cuts, razor burn, burns, etc. Its for the baby, helps prevent diaper rash. Puts a barrier between the baby's skin and the diaper.

Oh and also a bath thermometer. I can never tell about the temperature of the bath and Im usually wrong when I guess.

xxx

I saw really cute bath toys that are themometors! I'm getting some.

Also, on my scavanger hunt last night, I saw a soother thermometor. Anyone use this, did you find it successful or do you think its best to just chuck out and get an ear one?

What's zinc barrier cream? For Mum or Baby? I'm allergic to zinc.

I think she means like Peneten cream? You can get just tubs of zinc cream though, which is what I'll probably use. I use zinc cream for everything...cuts, razor burn, burns, etc. Its for the baby, helps prevent diaper rash. Puts a barrier between the baby's skin and the diaper.

lol ya, that is it! All I could remember was the blue tins it comes in with the baby on the front. It is the BEST stuff, any sign of redness, or even if your baby is just having a poopie day then you can use it. It keeps the diapers fro rubbing and also keeps bacteria from forming.

I cant believe someone is actually allergic to it though lol... I have never heard of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->