Think im ready...

MoominJ

Reaction score
Lo will be 4 months old next week and I think I'm ready for my first alcoholic beverage since August 2013 (stopped drinking in preparation for ttc)

I'm not a big drinker but I'm fancying a glass of wine so how do I go about it?
Ive got some milk stored in the freezer incase he needs a feed. How long will it stay in my system for ? Will the alcohol just leave my milk as it does my blood? Would it be that bad if it hadn't completely left my milk?

Yes, if it's left your blood then it's left your milk. I used to try and have my glass of wine once I was sure baby was asleep and wouldn't be up again for a good few hours.
If it hasn't completely left your milk, try not to worry. If you've only had a glass, bubs will be fine.
Enjoy!

As pp said, once its left your blood its left your milk. So one standard drink per hour leaves your system.

If I have a drink, I tend to have the wine straight after a feed when I know I should have about 3 hours or more till the next feed so its all out of my system. But if either of my children woke early I would still feed them as normal.

I found a chart when I did a Google search that bases it off of your weight and how long between drinks etc but it stressed me out even more lol I go by the "if you can drive a car you can breastfeed" rule (not that I do this frequently, only about twice since he's been born lol alcohol just makes me tired now!)

You don't need to do anything special. As long as you're not wasted (and even then, science has not proven much) it's fine. If you feel too inebriated to take care of your baby then don't breastfeed. I had a beer as soon as I got home from the hospital!

So how long ish would one large glass of rose take to leave my system?

So how long ish would one large glass of rose take to leave my system?

That depends on a number of things, like your body composition and if/what you have eaten recently. One large glass of rose is usually lesser in alcohol than say, a dry red. I'd say you'd be fine to nurse immediately, but I have done a lot of research about this topic and it's the conclusion that I am comfortable with.

I would say a glass of wine would be fine (especially if consumed with food), I would probably breastfeed immediately after.

Now, when I plan to drink, I'd do it right after you feed the baby so hopefully they won't need to feed again.

As long as you aren't wasted, I would say you are fine. Basically what Purplecupcake has already said.

https://www.beststart.org/resources/alc_reduction/pdf/brstfd_alc_deskref_eng.pdf

This link has a chart of how long it will take for alcohol to completely leave your bloodstream (and breastmilk) based on weight and how many drinks you have had. As a general rule they usually say it takes 2-2.5 hours per drink.

Personally what I do is I just share a beer or glass of wine with someone so I am only having 1/3 of a unit of alcohol. Sounds ridiculous I guess but that way I get a taste and I don't really worry if a tiny little bit is left in my system when I nurse again, since my DD is a frequent feeder.

It's some tiny % of blood alcohol that makes it to your milk.

Unless you're completely can't walk or talk drunk you don't need to worry at all.

Tonight's the night! I'm gunna go for it haha I'm such a wimp... Lo has been sleeping from 8 till 2am so I may even push the boat out and go for 2 (well maybe small ones just to be safe Hahahaha) thanks for all the help, I'd never forgive myself if I harmed him

It was the best glass of wine I've ever had haha! It smelt really strong tho I guess because I've not smelt it in so long, and I could of quite easily finished the whole bottle but stuck to the one large glass �� :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->