Thinking of getting a puppy but pregnant

I soooo wouldnt personally. I actually wrote almost the exact thread before and it was a samoyed!!!!!

Anyway every time we visit my mum there puppy barks and barks at lucas it is so irritating especially when hes trying to sleep, I think if I had spent ages trying to get lucas to sleep and the puppy barked and woke him up I would cry.
If you have alot of help then maybe but theres some days we dont end up leaving the house if were having a bad day and the puppy would need out for walks. However we live ina flat so couldnt just put him outside.

Also samoyeds need alot of brushing etc so would need alot of your time. I was also so paranoid the dog jumping on Lucas and licking him constantly

Saying al that I would still love my son to grow up with a dog! So maybe ina few years.

I soooo wouldnt personally. I actually wrote almost the exact thread before and it was a samoyed!!!!!

Anyway every time we visit my mum there puppy barks and barks at lucas it is so irritating especially when hes trying to sleep, I think if I had spent ages trying to get lucas to sleep and the puppy barked and woke him up I would cry.
If you jave aloy of help then maybe but theres some days we sont end up leaving the house if were having a bad day and the puppy would need out for walks. However we live ina flat so couldnt just put him outside.

Also samoyeds need alot of brushing etc so would need alot of your time. I was also so paranoid the dog jumping on Lucas and licking him constantly

Saying al that I would still love my dog to grow up with a do! So maybe ina few years.

I personally wouldn't get a puppy.

Our puppy was such hard work, and quite difficult to train.
We got him when dd was 3 which was a great age for us as he got kid proofed still but I had more time to train him etc.

He is 2 now and the most relaxed, chilled dog ever so I have no worries about having a baby and him, but no way I could have done it with a newborn too.

Personally I wouldn't but were all different and cope different in the end of the day. I do know how hard having a newborn is though, if you get stitches due to tearing during birth then you won't be able to walk the dog as it hurts just sitting down and walking aggravates the stitches, you could end up with a baby that doesn't sleep my daughter wanted fed every hour (no lie) for the first month so I was surviving on about 2 hours sleep every 24 hours. I found it very difficult to look after myself never mind a dog, I actually had a chinchilla when my dd was born and he got rehomed when she was only 3 weeks old as once baby was here he never got cleaned out or fed because my mind was else where and he became my last priority.

There was a 12 week old puppy on my local gumtree getting rehomed for free and ASAP as the lady had given birth and wasn't coping with the puppy and the newborn.

Haven't said all of that though I'm sure some mums do cope with a puppy and a newborn so it's not really my place to say wether or not you will cope or not.

We did I was 6 months preg and we decided to get a lab she is truly the loveliest dog now but when we first had her, I was exhausted she would pee I would cry she wud chew I wud cry labs are luckily quite quick to potty train but it was still exhausting then baby came, I get annoyed about dog hair every where including on baby which as clean as I tried to be it seemed to just get every where,
But in the bright side of things my baby of that time is 11 and loves our dog completely, if I were to ever do it again I wud probably wait til the child is 1 there wud still be a bond And u wud have more time for both dog and child

Don't do it. Wait until after the baby and see how you feel then.

Thank you all sooooo much! ya you're all pretty much right- I probably will wait it out as why put myself through that. you guys are the best- really really thank you!!

TBH I think its too close to your babys due date. If you had a good six months between getting the puppy and having the baby I would say go for it but there is no way I could cope with such a young puppy and a baby - it took my dog a good 6 months to be well trained and I couldn't have dealt with a new born then. Even when I had my DD the dog was 4 years old and bless her on really bad days she hardly got walked round the block and she is a lovely easy to handle dog! Can't imagine a nutty puppy with a tiny baby!

Please don't! When I had my DD, my dog was already two years old, fully trained and very good. But it was still hard work!! I adore my little dog but a baby will take up most of your time. Trying to divide your time is very difficult.

I got my Alfie when I was 30+ weeks pregnant... can't remember the exact time. Don't be under the impression that its easy. If you go into it with the right attitude knowing it'll be hard work and ready and willing to put the effort it your pup and baby will grow to love eachother and its a really beautiful thing :)

My son and pup are now 3 years old and everyday Ryan gives Alfie a big cuddle and says "Alfie your my best friend"

Its the sweetest thing and I don't regret making the decision to get him.

wait until the baba is here hun! it isnt fair on the puppy who will have all your attention for a couple months then next to nothing when the baby is here!

i love love loveeee dogs, and i cannot wait to have one but im waiting until my baba is around 2yo.

also you wouldnt want to get the pup then realise how little attention he/she is getting and have to think about rehoming her/him - it happens far too often unfortunately :( xxx

I wouldn't personally. I have 4 very high energy breeds (Border Collies) and the youngest has just turned 1, she will be enough energy when our baby arrives in February, there is no way I would consider taking on a puppy when pregnant.
JMO :)

I think it's absolutely doable, as long as you're aware of all the responsibilities.

We're buying a puppy in November or December. I am due the beginning of January. I'm a SAHM though.

I wouldn't...they are such hard work with potty training, etc. that it's easier to just do it later - I can't even imagine having a puppy and baby both

As a mum I'd say don't do it.

Newborn babies are hard work - you'll find it hard to eat meals and shower yourself the first few weeks, it's so all consuming. The first year is generally hard work, but especially the first few weeks (they are worth it of course!). You really won't want a puppy to deal with too.

Put off any puppy decisions until after the baby is born - most mums would decide against the puppy once they have the baby imo.

I have a year old basset hound, and I'm 5 months pregnant. I love my little boy; we got him after we were told that we couldn't have children and too young for IVF.
He's a lot of work, but if you're determined to mske it work, train them well and give them adequate time when baby's here. Then go ahead! But bear in mind, there will be times when you're knackered, frustrated. But the dog still needs your time :thumbup:

Pets can be dangerous only if they aren't vaccinated. And don't clean after them, let your life partner to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->