This was supposed to be impossible!

Kelly.B

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with chemo and fertility? My partner, who has has 28 rounds of chemo for both prostate cancer and a stomach tumor is supposed to be 100% infertile. We had accepted that kids were not going to happen for us but I have just had the blood test confirmation and I am definitely pregnant! Does chemo affect sperm quality? Is there a chance of birth defects because of it? Its been well over a year since his last round and we are both relatively young (he is 29, I am 33) We are over the moon and completely shocked as this was not supposed to be possible!

Any advice/input would be gratefully received :):thumbup:

Firstly congratulations after all the trouble you've been through you have got a miracle baby.

My brother is having chemo for testicular cancer. He has frozen his sperm as they say it can affect his fertility.

Maybe worth speaking to your doc/his consultant about testing his sperm and seeing what sort of quality it is? Asking about birth defects etc too.

Xxxx

Well unless 100% of his sperm are made dead then he is not infertile. His count is just really low. Did you know a count of 20 million sperm is LOW. And it is compared to the billions that are considered normal, but that does not make pregnancy impossible. It's just statistics and probability. Also, don't stress yourself worrying about defects because healthy people can have babies with defects so your situation doesn't mean it will or won't. Just pray for a healthy baby.

i know nothing about this! but i wanted to stop by and say congrats and good luck for your pregnancy! i hopw it all goes well!

firstly congrats :)

My uncle has had testicular cancer twice he's 33 now and his partner is my age (25) and he had chemo twice and now they are actually trying for a baby and he was told allow 6 months after chemo to start but that it may take a year to be back to normality (they also said that he may not be able too) So far I dont think they are but then again she is in hiding (she is bipolar so it might be that or Morning sickness)

Soooo its very possible and your living proof of that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->